Plummets

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I was asked to show some of my older pieces so I'm going to bump up a few of my posts so they can see them rather than post them again)

Adam Agusti and I were discussing Plummets on Facebook and I took some new pictures of mine to show him so I thought I might as well post them here as well. All of these are personal finds except for two of them.

In the 2nd picture the one laying sideways in the top row and the one to the far right in the middle row are not personal finds. The top one I got in a collection I bought when I was 17 and it was first time I had ever seen a Plummet and had no clue what it was. The other was a gift from my sister in law for helping her get her fathers collection in order after he passed away. All others are personal finds.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 0

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Here is a personal find from white county Indiana. It is 3 3/4 inches long. I do remember a neighbor of my grand parents finding one on the their property also (not as nice). It's the only other one I know of that was found from that county and it wasn't found that far from mine, about a half of a mile.
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is well made. What do you think the flat spot you photographed is from?

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
That sure is well made. What do you think the flat spot you photographed is from?

It has been hit multiple times at the same spot at the very bottom. I would image maybe a type of weighing devise?Like back in the old days when they would weigh gold coins. Makes me wonder what the natives would weigh in order to have the same amount every time? Ochre or herb?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been hit multiple times at the same spot at the very bottom. I would image maybe a type of weighing devise?Like back in the old days when they would weigh gold coins. Makes me wonder what the natives would weigh in order to have the same amount every time? Ochre or herb?

yup or
maybe IT hit something or was used to grind up some medicine or something?

i sure don't know

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim Reaper,

What a great collection, I would find it hard to ever want to go to work for a living if I kept finding artifacts as such. You live in an amazing part of the Country and the history that lies buried within her soils would keep me from ever going to work. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way wife says OH !!!

Where I live on the coast of Florida produces plummets...the example of shell plummet shown is of the highest quality and condition to be found along the treasure coast with the right lighting it casts a pinkish hue. The paleontologists who have seen this and held it...have offered me whatever I want in trade for it numerous times. I will not part of it...it is part of the area I live and will stay here.

Thanks for sharing.
Trez

plummet 013.jpg plummet 016.jpg

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing piece.Looks like Jega work... super find!

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow that is absolutely of such intense quality
in my very limited knowledge of a plummet is way over the top of anything i can imagine

it is so nice it reminds me ivory in a way
thanks for posting

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Grim Reaper,

What a great collection, I would find it hard to ever want to go to work for a living if I kept finding artifacts as such. You live in an amazing part of the Country and the history that lies buried within her soils would keep me from ever going to work. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way wife says OH !!!

Where I live on the coast of Florida produces plummets...the example of shell plummet shown is of the highest quality and condition to be found along the treasure coast with the right lighting it casts a pinkish hue. The paleontologists who have seen this and held it...have offered me whatever I want in trade for it numerous times. I will not part of it...it is part of the area I live and will stay here.

Thanks for sharing.
Trez

View attachment 713392 View attachment 713395

i just gotta say

so shiny and i know it is not ivory but that is a special piece Trez

all those plummets seem very cool since it is a mystery as to their use or purpose

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the nicest shell artifact I have ever seen.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When viewing these varieties of plummets you can see that some were definetly way more ornamental than need be for a fish weight.Some of them in my opinion were amulets. All my plummets like all my gouges and basically all my artifacts were found no farther than ten yards from water.most closer than that.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have mentioned this before, but I still think that they were hung from a pole or branch. If there was water on it, it was raining. :dontknow: If it was swinging back and forth, it was windy. :dontknow: If it was dry, it was a nice day out. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I have mentioned this before, but I still think that they were hung from a pole or branch. If there was water on it, it was raining. :dontknow: If it was swinging back and forth, it was windy. :dontknow: If it was dry, it was a nice day out. :dontknow: :laughing7:

you have solved the mystery
i knew you could do it!

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this before I found my first arrowhead while metal detecting.

j7awhs.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say it makes me think of it tapping the ground while hung to spin fiber into thread.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very,Very Nice plummets Trez, Reap, and White....Wow!!!.......Wow Reap nice collection of plummets:notworthy:...............GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread