Plummets

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I was asked to show some of my older pieces so I'm going to bump up a few of my posts so they can see them rather than post them again)

Adam Agusti and I were discussing Plummets on Facebook and I took some new pictures of mine to show him so I thought I might as well post them here as well. All of these are personal finds except for two of them.

In the 2nd picture the one laying sideways in the top row and the one to the far right in the middle row are not personal finds. The top one I got in a collection I bought when I was 17 and it was first time I had ever seen a Plummet and had no clue what it was. The other was a gift from my sister in law for helping her get her fathers collection in order after he passed away. All others are personal finds.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see a lot of any lol one day I hope to find one that nice ;)

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were standing in the surf throwing darts at say, sand sharks, a huge plummet might be just the ticket. Throw dart, quickly drop plummet and cordage, exit water while prey thrashes about, then come back and use plummet as a "noggin knocker". Dinner for party of 25 served. Yum Yum.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Gator, you said you don't see many double grooved ones around. That made me think, around here, few are seen at all. I know this is an age old debate, and I'm not wanting to stir up anything. However, I see you have found quite a few plums of different designs. I also know you lean toward their functionality being loom weights. Just some food for thought here! You live near the ocean, lots of water. I live in an area full of Forest. Probably less fishing here than where you live. You see what I'm getting at.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you saw the amount of natural stones and shells even with natural holes all over the place here you would never think somebody would go through the trouble to make that simply to use as a sinker... I even found one made from pottery the little knob on the top would snap immediately nevermind not hold on to anything tied tightly.
Lot of bone artifacts are found in my area not many bone fish hooks.. In fact I've never seen a bone fish hook found in context with the same time span of artifacts the plummets normally come from.
The guys who lived along the river here from what's known used mostly fishing weirs and nets.
Unless they were some type of offering to the fish gods I don't think functionally it makes sense

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread