Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I wouldn't think point myself.

But who knows, them things can break in funny ways.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have found points in Australia that look identical to this one...sort of three quick strikes...pretty common over there.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found points in Australia that look identical to this one...sort of three quick strikes...pretty common over there.

Thats interesting. I know here in AZ the pre-historic Natives also made very crude, simple tools, which has led some archaeologists to believe they were made on the spot for one time use on the spot, if you know what I mean. This could be something like that. It looks sharp enough to be some sort of lithic. It could have been a simple cutting tool for slicing open some game really quick.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local archie told me once that they used flakes for points and tools like knifes and scrapers. He even said specifically the Mississippian time period but that was about a very small teardrop shaped point I found. Could apply to this one too maybe.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.. I have one to. Why would they not use it. They were working the toughest material out there is they were using quartz. You make a quartz point you have time and energy in it. Everything else is like butter compared to quartz. So my vote is yes,Lol
Happy Thanksgiving "Rock" .

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said it was a pretty flake and it is a uni but I thought it was a interesting example seeing I havent really ever found 1 like it before. I know the Morrow Mountain culture loved quartz and quartzite to make their points with so if I was to guess I would put it in that time frame. Some place around 7500-5000 bp. Thanks for all the help on the piece. Im still waiting on a go for some areas to walk a couple of fields if the moss hasnt covered them by now.
The farmers have found out if they spray their cotton and then wait a month or 2 to harvest it the ground will then cover with a green moss and then they will use it for a cover crop for the winter. Im hoping it will die off myself but I dont know only time will tell. HH everybody, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread