Port St. Joe Fl............

M

M-60

Hello; I am trying to find information regarding two possible wrecks near Port St. Joe Fl. I was told about them by Mel Fisher's company. I can't remember the names. They interested me because they were close to home for me. I believe they were sunk or wrecked in the late 1800's. Ships from foreign countries would likely have coins aboard to pay for cargo, wages, supplies and what ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I hope today is your day!....Nick

too_deep

Greenie
Sep 8, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Nick,
I have a friend in Mexico Beach that used to run a dive charter business in that area; he once found a lead sounding-weight on a wreck right off Port St. Joe/ Mexico Beach (probably in St. Joseph's Bay). I remember he mentioned it was a small ship with a cargo of lumber that sank in the early 1900' s.
He sold his dive boats, but I think he still runs dive classes and trips out of Tyndall AFB.

Good luck!

F

fsgear

old tale I know of: a sand bar that is in the area below the peninsula caused a Spanish ship to be damaged as it drug the bottom of the bar, headed toward the coast below Port Saint Joe, spilling cargo as it sank.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is an old steamship, The SS Florida that sank in St. Joseph Bay during the hurricane of 1848. It is on the peninsula, about halfway up and the boilers can still be seen sticking out of the water at low tide.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nick,

There is supposedly and unidentified ship wreck from the early 1800's which went down during a storm near the entrance. Rumors state that it was a pirate ship loaded with treasure just captured in the Gulf. The steamboat Florida was wrecked in 1856 near Highland View. There was an unidentified Spanish man-of-war that wrecked and washed ashore at Cape San Blas, West of St. Vincent Island in 1850.

You may want to check out a local dive shop and see if the have any dive maps of the local area. These maps have many ship wrecks and other interesting things noted on them.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread