Possible Indian Stone Carving?

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaned some trees & brush off behind my back porch & uncovered this Indian face carved in a large rock. I remember noticing it 23 years ago when we built the house but didn’t give it much thought back then & had forgot about it. Not sure if it is or could actually be an original carved by area native Americans?? There were some out buildings on the property years ago but no houses that I’m aware of. Location is SW Pennsylvania not far from the WVA line. Also, I remember finding a sea turtle carved on a truck tire size rock when we dug the foundation. I’ll try to find it & post some pics when I do. Thanks in advance for any info. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590613577.882699.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590613592.130265.jpg
Thanks for Lookin

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting site for sure. It looks like the little overhang the face is on might have been big enough that it was used.

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What’s terrible is that there was a regional Indian expert at the local college that I wanted to ask his opinion and never did....he has since past away. I may still contact the local college or WVU to get an opinion. I’ll do some sifting first though!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What way is the turtle facing I think he might be pointing at one also...

That is a awesome chunk of property you have, be careful with archaeologist...

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved the turtle & we can’t remember exactly where it was.....I’m pretty sure we found it when clearing to dig the foundation. Thanks

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turtle is cool. Had I not seen the face on the rock I might not have even considered the turtle ancient. Looking forwArd to better pics of it

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok....getting more interesting & intriguing. My son just came home & I was telling him about the post & all of your replies, advice, & opinions. He said there’s another carving he found while hunting that I didn’t know about! It’s in the general direction that the original is looking, across the stream up on the hill. He went up in the dark & took these pics.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590630718.760964.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590630729.509166.jpg
He said it’s carved out of a rock way bigger than the other face & seems to have a bench/seat carved in it also. I’ll try to get better pics tomorrow in the daylight!
I’m starting to wonder if I’m drinking too many Miller lites!!!

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's some crazy stuff...looking forward to the daytime pictures

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you'll have your work cut out for you, really looking forward to seeing your finds from there. Just don't turn into Smegol/ Gollum. I know when you get the Indian artifact bug it can be consuming. :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those don't look like any Native American petroglyphs I have ever seen...they may very well be something else. I am not familiar with the styles from your area, but the 3D seems wrong to me on a rock face.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those don't look like any Native American petroglyphs I have ever seen...they may very well be something else. I am not familiar with the styles from your area, but the 3D seems wrong to me on a rock face.
I agree with that. Look Polynesian in a way. They do look old though but I'm just looking at a few pics. Sure is interesting.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting. At initial glance I find the "turtle" to be more intriguing than the first face on the rock outcrop. The patina on the face on the outcrop looks lighter and whiter than the surrounding rock surface, making me believe it is not ancient, and I suspect it was put there in historic times. It almost looks like concrete applied to the boulder, which the face was formed from. How long have you had the property, and are the previous owner(s) still around and able to give any further insight about it?

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. At initial glance I find the "turtle" to be more intriguing than the first face on the rock outcrop. The patina on the face on the outcrop looks lighter and whiter than the surrounding rock surface, making me believe it is not ancient, and I suspect it was put there in historic times. It almost looks like concrete applied to the boulder, which the face was formed from. How long have you had the property, and are the previous owner(s) still around and able to give any further insight about it?

I first thought exactly the same and its possible you are right but after zooming in I can see that they face wad pecked and likely the nose eroded or was broken off. Also the entire stone appears chiseled to create the platform for the face. Look a foot above the forehead. Maybe I'm just too optimistic on this one instead of my normal skepticism. I'm intrigued.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't get in touch with an arch. That's opening a can of worms that cannot be shut once opened. Word travels fast and in all directions.

It looks like the face/head makes up the pupil of an eye. Could there be another similar form on the stone to make it a more-complete face? Very interesting. May be worth clearing off more of the outcropping of rock to look for more clues--ancient or more modern.

And yeah I'd be digging out beneath that overhang--may be able to find some of those chips or anything NA related. If you find chips from that rock face their depth could tell you something about how old this form could be. I'd be looking for a fire pit too, as Gar pointed out. It wouldn't be difficult for dirt to fill in and cover something that could be beneath--especially on a hill like that--in a relatively short time.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Joshuaream. We need your thoughts on this one. It looks Mayan or Polynesian. Carved like Egyptian. That would make it modern but dang it looks old.

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info & opinions.
My family has owned the property since the early-mid 1900s. I grew up a couple hundred yards up the road. There are caves everywhere along the creek banks & ravines. I was always told they were shallow surface coal mines. Back in the 70s there was an underprivileged family that lived in converted out buildings on the property that my family must have rented to. Not much info on them. I found the face & turtle when I built the house 23 yrs ago. I thought they were cool, but didn’t give them much thought. I assumed the family that lived/rented there did them. Since recently rediscovering them, I realized they were a bit more elaborate & detailed than I first noticed. To detailed for kids to do, and if an adult did them why these symbols? If the colors on the head dress is 1900s paint , I doubt a poorer family would waste it on a rock & I would think it would have worn off by now since it faces the majority of the weather direction. That’s why I created the post. I don’t know if it’s Native American, early settlers, more modern. The 1800s maps shows no homes on the exact property, 3 homes in the proximity. My house is sits very low in a small valley, surrounded by hills. Seems like a good spot to get out of the weather. On the higher hill top to the south west, there were some Indian burial sites discovered when developing a few years ago I’m told.
My general location in the northeast had a lot of settler Indian massacres. The land was considered sacred hunting grounds and things got bloody. I don’t believe there were many resident native Americans but they camped, hunted, & traded in the area. That’s about the extent of my research/ knowledge.
I’m gonna clean the carvings off soon & get some better pics & maybe uncover something other details. The 3rd “carving” I haven’t seen yet, but I’ll try to take look today & get some better pics & location in relation to the other face.
Also, I can all but guarantee that the first 2 have no concrete & are solid rock. I’ll try to post some better pics with some size comparisons.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I won’t be offended if they are modern. I have no idea! Either way, they are really cool! Would just like to know.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
perhaps a metal detector is in order, your property may have had an earlier (much earlier) structure on it. Perhaps a few buttons, coins and nails will show up.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
perhaps a metal detector is in order, your property may have had an earlier (much earlier) structure on it. Perhaps a few buttons, coins and nails will show up.

That is a great suggestion! No telling what could be laying around that overhang area. Maybe even tools it was carved with. What is your address MikeRo? We are all on our way to help....Haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread