Possible Indian Stone Carving?

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaned some trees & brush off behind my back porch & uncovered this Indian face carved in a large rock. I remember noticing it 23 years ago when we built the house but didn’t give it much thought back then & had forgot about it. Not sure if it is or could actually be an original carved by area native Americans?? There were some out buildings on the property years ago but no houses that I’m aware of. Location is SW Pennsylvania not far from the WVA line. Also, I remember finding a sea turtle carved on a truck tire size rock when we dug the foundation. I’ll try to find it & post some pics when I do. Thanks in advance for any info. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590613577.882699.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590613592.130265.jpg
Thanks for Lookin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually....I got into metal detecting about 7 months ago & that along with Tnet (and coronavirus boredo) is what peaked my interest in the forgotten carvings.
As far as MDing my yard.... tons of emi.... underground dog fence, WiFi, etc.....I think I will try some digging & sifting first & detect around the over hang & caves. Also, I put about 10 triaxle loads of topsoil around the house!
I checked the 3rd carving at lunch break today....it’s natural I’m sure. My son thinks otherwise. I’ll post some pics later today. Thanks everyone

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON’T clean the carvings!!!

If you want to see them better, use lighting and take pictures at different times of the day.

I would talk to some adjacent old timer land owners. Even though your family owned the land, they might have been squirrel hunting in the area and noticed these rocks or others in the vicinity. Maybe there are others on adjacent properties?

Last edited:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is pretty interesting! Any updates on the carvings, discoveries made, etc, Mike?

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry everyone....Ive been busy at work with my area moving to coronavirus "green" this week! I will get some more pics & info asap!

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry everyone.....been busy at work! I did run my nox under the indian head.....there is some old fencing wire under it about a foot down that seems to run back under the rock. I havent had time to completely remove it. Im guessing that it may have been placed there later to cover up an opening. I also checked the cave that the face is looking towards. Its basically collapsed & appears very dangerous....only a small opening remains. What is left of the opening does seem to be carved in my opinion. Ill post some pics soon once i get them downloaded. Heading to Myrtle tomorrow, Ill get the pics posted while im there. Thanks for all the interest, advice, & opinions.

OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pic of the collapsed cave that Indian face is looking towards
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592086657.479019.jpg
You can see the squared out part where a wooden beam may have been in the opening.

This is above the opening showing how much rock has fallen & how fragile the area is. The opening is down in & behind the ferns. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592086882.859248.jpg

This pic is of the other cave, about 40ft below & to the left of the first cave.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592087015.549070.jpg

Both cave openings are accessible by crawling at best. The upper cave is maybe 2ft high back in, the lower a foot or so more. They were definitely larger at one time....the “floor” is mostly sediment & crumbles rock. Both caves appear to go back in a good ways.
I’ll try to rig something up to safely get some light & pics further inside when I get home.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Explore but be very careful of being a victim to falling rocks. The carved faces and turtle are certainly treasure signs, possibly Aztec..... You could have Cibola in your back yard ;)

Malus

Greenie
Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, to my eyes that turtle carving looks really old and weather worn, but very detailed when it was carved. It does look just like a common snapping turtle! I'd love to see more angles of the turtle carving and the face up closer too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread