possible small hammer

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My grandson found this piece in our creek yesterday . It is denser and heavier than the sandstone creek bed . I'm clueless in this field . Any input is appreciated .I will try to post other views if it is warranted .

Attachments

• DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

My guess its a geofact but hey i'm no expert,so we'll see what they say... :help:

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I added another picture . Profile and seemingly worked edges made me think of a nut cracking hammer or for rough working flint . Weighs nearly 8 0z and taper in the middle would have accepted a
haft .

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's obviously different stuff than the other rocks in the area, either somebody carried it in, or it fell out of the sky.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
uniface said:
If it's obviously different stuff than the other rocks in the area, either somebody carried it in, or it fell out of the sky.
My point of interest exactly . There have been flint points , a large hammer stone , and other
artifacts found on our farm .
This 8yr old is always looking for what might be an artifact . This is his first possible . Be great if it turns out to be the real deal but we won't support fantasy . Bottom line is that he has a great eye for an 8yr old .

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Truckinbutch , That maybe is a piece of Hematite [type of iron ore ] ,.. and if its not naturally occurring in and around your creek , you can tell your boy that it is some what of an artifact as the Native Americans used hematite to make red "pant". So , if someone brought this piece of hematite to there camp near your creek , they may have left a arrowhead or two for him to find . :wink: Have him pick up a few shinny "sharp" flakes [flint type stuff ] if he can find any . post them here . Like to see what he comes up with :icon_thumleft:
best of luck ,... Blindpig
**modify **
I didn't read your last post ,, sorry ;D

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
blindpig said:
Hay Truckinbutch , That maybe is a piece of Hematite [type of iron ore ] ,.. and if its not naturally occurring in and around your creek , you can tell your boy that it is some what of an artifact as the Native Americans used hematite to make red "pant". So , if someone brought this piece of hematite to there camp near your creek , they may have left a arrowhead or two for him to find . :wink: Have him pick up a few shinny "sharp" flakes [flint type stuff ] if he can find any . post them here . Like to see what he comes up with :icon_thumleft:
best of luck ,... Blindpig
Thanks , buddy . Like I posted earlier , flint points which aren't naturally occuring here have been found in our fields when we still plowed . Being unschooled in this area I never considered hematite . We have iron deposits east of us at higher elevations that were commercially mined in the early years .

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
blindpig said:
Hay do you see a line through my **modify**?
Not before I made my last post . This area is so rich in early history as a trade center . Saltpeter cave over the ridge in the next valley , gristmill and distillery site just down the road .....So much to look at and so little time .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread