68.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
My guess its a geofact but hey i'm no expert,so we'll see what they say... :help:

I added another picture . Profile and seemingly worked edges made me think of a nut cracking hammer or for rough working flint . Weighs nearly 8 0z and taper in the middle would have accepted a
haft .

If it's obviously different stuff than the other rocks in the area, either somebody carried it in, or it fell out of the sky.

uniface said:
If it's obviously different stuff than the other rocks in the area, either somebody carried it in, or it fell out of the sky.
My point of interest exactly . There have been flint points , a large hammer stone , and other
artifacts found on our farm .
This 8yr old is always looking for what might be an artifact . This is his first possible . Be great if it turns out to be the real deal but we won't support fantasy . Bottom line is that he has a great eye for an 8yr old .

Hay Truckinbutch , That maybe is a piece of Hematite [type of iron ore ] ,.. and if its not naturally occurring in and around your creek , you can tell your boy that it is some what of an artifact as the Native Americans used hematite to make red "pant". So , if someone brought this piece of hematite to there camp near your creek , they may have left a arrowhead or two for him to find . :wink: Have him pick up a few shinny "sharp" flakes [flint type stuff ] if he can find any . post them here . Like to see what he comes up with :icon_thumleft:
best of luck ,... Blindpig
**modify **
I didn't read your last post ,, sorry ;D

blindpig said:
Hay Truckinbutch , That maybe is a piece of Hematite [type of iron ore ] ,.. and if its not naturally occurring in and around your creek , you can tell your boy that it is some what of an artifact as the Native Americans used hematite to make red "pant". So , if someone brought this piece of hematite to there camp near your creek , they may have left a arrowhead or two for him to find . :wink: Have him pick up a few shinny "sharp" flakes [flint type stuff ] if he can find any . post them here . Like to see what he comes up with :icon_thumleft:
best of luck ,... Blindpig
Thanks , buddy . Like I posted earlier , flint points which aren't naturally occuring here have been found in our fields when we still plowed . Being unschooled in this area I never considered hematite . We have iron deposits east of us at higher elevations that were commercially mined in the early years .

blindpig said:
Hay do you see a line through my **modify**?
Not before I made my last post . This area is so rich in early history as a trade center . Saltpeter cave over the ridge in the next valley , gristmill and distillery site just down the road .....So much to look at and so little time .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back