Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here is a photo of sandstone bluff along the Llano river in Texas.
IMG_7954.jpg
IMG_7954.jpg

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Alan, long time no see. Glad to "hear" from you.

Years ago, Garry Cundiff took some pics of a cabin on the old home property in Texas where Travis was known to have spent some time growing up. IIRC, they're on Garry's website.

Travis had made some carvings on the stones in the cabin's chimney, and also on a stone that showed a "treasure galleon" with a treasure chest on one side...complete with some "illiterate" wording "en Espanol" :icon_biggrin:

Lots of places for someone who likes to carve to get sandstone ;) I've always liked the possibility of a quarry that was in existence on RT 66, on Travis' route from Washington to TX. The quarry and yard stacked with thousands of tons of nice, flat sandstone was in existence then, and still is today, and very hard to miss as it's right on the side of the road. And it's even in AZ, Ash Fork to be exact. But who knows where he got it?

There will always be believers that the stones were made by the Jesuits or Spanish/Mexican miners, and that Travis found them buried near Queen Creek. I suppose that's within the realm of possibility.

I've always wondered, if he did carve them, what did he use as a source document? I think the trail maps bear a striking similarity to "LDM maps" attributed to Julia Thomas. But I really have no idea. ;)

Hope all is well with you and yours, Jim

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello Jim
I have looked at those pictures of the chimney carvings and they do not convince me that travis carved the stones, although I do believe they were carved by a Tumlinson, just that it wasnā€™t travis.
you bring up a good point about the sand stone, it is true, sand stone is very prolific throughout the southwest. I posted this pic because it is the best example of thin flat sandstone that I have found, andā€¦.itā€™s in Texas.:angel3:
good to hear from you and hope you are weathering the storms well.
best regards
alan

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Alan,

Who do you think it was that might've carved the "cabin stones"? And the "Treasure Galleon Stone?"

A correction to my previous post, I said he was coming down to TX from Washington...In his story of finding the stone maps, he said he was driving down from Hood River, OR...via AZ....to Texas. I've not looked at the story in a loooong time ;) it's now coming back to me.

One thing's for sure, Travis loved those Superstition mountains and had been bitten by the "Thunder God's Gold Bug."

Travis had an appreciation for Indian carvings, I think he saw this one while out searching:

Whitlow.JPG

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am in total agreement with you that Travis carved the cabin stones.
I think that the stone maps were carved by someone else in his family many years earlier.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh...gotcha. I read it wrong ;)

Don't know if you ever saw Joe Ribaudo's stone map theory:

View attachment 2102649

Joe had a penchant for forcing everything to fit in West Boulder Canyon which was the only area he was intimately familiar with, within the Superstitions, when he went camping there with his uncle Chuck.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Jim
I have looked at those pictures of the chimney carvings and they do not convince me that travis carved the stones, although I do believe they were carved by a Tumlinson, just that it wasnā€™t travis.
you bring up a good point about the sand stone, it is true, sand stone is very prolific throughout the southwest. I posted this pic because it is the best example of thin flat sandstone that I have found, andā€¦.itā€™s in Texas.:angel3:
good to hear from you and hope you are weathering the storms well.
best regards
alan

It was reportedly Phil Leasman, Travis's uncle, who did the chimney carvings.

It was also Phil who introduced Travis to the Superstitions and persuaded Travis to join him in the hunt. They spent most of their time at Black Point and in Hewitt Canyon.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
It was reportedly Phil Leasman, Travis's uncle, who did the chimney carvings.
Hello Deducer,

Reported by whom?

Was Phil also the one who carved Travis Tumlinson's name on the chimney stones? Or did Travis do that later? Or...?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Deducer,

Reported by whom?

Was Phil also the one who carved Travis Tumlinson's name on the chimney stones? Or did Travis do that later? Or...?

Travis spent a good deal of time with Phil Leasman because his own father was rarely around, so naturally he emulated what Phil did.

Another thing to remember is that TT presumably got the treasure fever from Peg Leg Tumlinson, but Peg Leg died when TT was just 10. Phil Leasman was the bridge between Peg Leg and Travis.

I don't think anyone will ever know what was carved by Phil and what was carved by Travis (other than his own name). But one thing is clear, Phil was there first.

Also, neither of them did the first carvings.. someone else carved a date of 1876. Perhaps Peg Leg himself?

leasman.png

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a family who liked to do some carving in stone for sure.

Do you know what Travis and Phil were up to down around Black Point?

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
benjamin Philip Leasman

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Alan, here's a few:

Attachments

• Phil and Wilburn Leaseman 1930.JPG
    Phil and Wilburn Leaseman 1930.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Phil Leaseman Marriage.JPG
    Phil Leaseman Marriage.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 22

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a family who liked to do some carving in stone for sure.

Do you know what Travis and Phil were up to down around Black Point?

Their area of interest was between Queen Creek, Black point and Hewitt Canyon, as I understand it. It was in Hewitt Canyon that TT made the big discovery that set his family up for life- unrelated to the Stone Maps, though.

TT's tale of finding the Stone Maps out by Queen Creek by walking from his car is complete fiction.

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
Thank you for responding, I appreciate it sir. My dad was adopted and his real moms name was Mertil tumlinson or Tomlinson. It just reminded me of the name. He was born Robert Tumlinson/Tomlinson? Iā€™m in Arizona and have spent years in the outdoors and decided to hunt treasure 15 years ago. Man itā€™s incredible all the things Iā€™ve found!

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello Goldenlead77
I did some searching and did not find a Robert Tumlinson married to a Mertil
If you have your moms maiden name, it would help.
also, about how old is your dad?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread