Possible source of stone used in Peralta tablets

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Travis found some gold ore stashed in Hewitt...unrelated to the stone maps ;)

Part of the problem that mine owners had back in the day in AZ was any rich pocket of gold their employees hit in a mine would be certainly high-graded. There were plenty of mines in the area that reasonably could contain rich pockets of gold, and if it was a small-time miner that made a big strike, he'd have good incentive to stash anything he couldn't carry out. Luckily for us, these mines were in/nearby remote areas where it would be quick and easy to stash some high-grade unobserved. Not all of those stashes were recovered.

I like the stash/cache theory, and such stashes tend to build up over time...I did it myself quite a few times while rock-hounding. Quite a few of my caches are still out in the desert, as far as I know...although many have been paved over by shopping malls or housing developments...the only one I had that contained gold, is now a subdivision just south of a 6-lane highway. When I stashed it, there was nothing there but desert and a little strip of blacktop that led pretty much nowhere.

Thanks for the post, A. Take care, Jim

Yes, what he reportedly found was unrelated to the Stone Maps. Looks like he just lucked out and came across a random stash.

I still hold out the faint hope that someday the real truth about what TT did out there and why, will be found out and told.

Might help to put to bed the rubbish that TT contrived and faked the Stone Maps when his behavior and actions screamed the opposite.

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It may be of some interest to a few that the first member of the Tumlinson family to move to Llano Texas, did so in 1879.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i wrote some time back in another thread related to the stone maps, IMHO the maps were not sandstone slabs, but were made like bricks by the maps maker. They have made the mortar using sand , clay and lime and put it in a mold which would corespond to the required dimensions. While the mortar was wet, they put above it a copper foil on which was carved the map, in regards to inprint the features on the fresh mortar. After the mortar would dry little, they would carve the features of the map using a featherpen or another blund ustensile. After the map was carved, they would hardened the maps in a oven.
There is an account of a copper map wich fits the characteristics of the Trail stone maps, and somehow ended in the hands of the Apache. This account is in the Foxfire novel written by Anya Seton in 1951, years before the stone maps to come out in public. The novel is about a treasure hidden somewhere in the Superstitions mountains area, is a fiction novel but is based in few real info and documents.
I will post some pictures of the pages related to the copper map.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.png
    2.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.png
    3.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.png
    4.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Marius,

I remember the movie but never knew there was a book. The movie was kind of weird.

I'm not sure about any "oven-baked mortar maps", but I think it's pretty well-established at this point that the original Stone Maps are sandstone.

Apparently there were some modern copies made by using molds and then casting replicas. Not sure what material the replicas were cast in.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim
It's not even well-established who carved the stones and when, by the experts. So, I don't think the experts made a detailed analysis on the stones composition. What it's shining it's not always gold.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Marius, I don't think your theory that the stones were some kind of baked clay (half-baked? :tongue3: ) was shared by Dr. E. Miksa, a geologist who examined the stones. She said they were composed of sandstone. So yes, the composition of the stone maps is VERY well established. I'd agree that who carved them, when, and for what reason, is not well-established.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the PSM's had been made with a "mortar", they would all be similar. They were made from three different stones all found in the same area. The P/H stone is lighter in color than the trail maps. The Heart stone is even darker that the trail maps, and yellow under it's surface, as the carvings reveal.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim
It's not even well-established who carved the stones and when, by the experts. So, I don't think the experts made a detailed analysis on the stones composition. What it's shining it's not always gold.

The Stone Maps were analyzed by the FBI laboratory as part of the MOEL fraud investigation. The below note was written by Bob Corbin.

corbin1.jpg

corbin2.jpg

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no definitive way to date petroglyphs, so I seriously question the FBI ability to date carved sandstone
There have been other things that you thought “it cannot be”, and lo and behold….. 😁
Surprises come in all size packages 🥴

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So….you believe the FBI about the age of the stones?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horse/priest stone = granite
Two map stones = sandstone
Heart stone = basalt
Latin heart = slate
I was talking about the two map stones ( the trail map ), because their patern is mentioned in the Foxfire book.
Now, "at least one hundred years old"', means infinit > 100.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius
I am curious as to whom you would consider an “expert” on the stone tablets
Those who deny the result of a first examination. Or those who first have a specific answer about an examination and after change it like the weather. Or those who stated the Tucson artifacts and the stone maps are hoax.

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
So….you believe the FBI about the age of the stones?
Sorry for the delay, I was at my cardiac rehabilitation therapy.
I have it 3 times a week.

First off, all I said is that the information was interesting.
Who knows if it’s true or not 😁
And that surprises come in all size packages…..

Now, if the FBI looked at the stones, what was it that had them thinking the stones were made at least 100 years prior to the time they were supposedly looking at them…? (Which according to the information provided here, was in the 1960’s.)

Was it a penny from 1860 stuck in the rock? 🤓👍
We don’t have more info , or at least I don’t .

My guess as to how they (supposedly) came up with the time frames. 🤷🏼‍♂️
🤓👍

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
So ….. if the stones are from the 1860’s or before…… and waltz got his mine in the late 60’s to maybe early 1870’s …..
Well, that would pretty much rule out the stones having anything to do with the LDM, or so it would seem. 🤷🏼‍♂️🥴

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Many claims about the stones seem to be based upon one interpretation that the “1847” represents a date.
the FBI conclusion as well as that of C. Polzer and DAI (which is just a rehash of Polzer actually)
I would love to see some valid scientific basis which supports their conclusions.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Many claims about the stones seem to be based upon one interpretation that the “1847” represents a date.
the FBI conclusion as well as that of C. Polzer and DAI (which is just a rehash of Polzer actually)
I would love to see some valid scientific basis which supports their conclusions.
Alan,
Even though I am not really a stone maps guy, I do find the “1847” carving, very coincidental to the year of the Peralta massacre.
My knee jerk reaction would be that the stones were made after the massacre, by some remnant of the entire superstition mining operation’s people.

Just my knee jerk reaction 🤷🏼‍♂️

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions