Possible source of stone used in Peralta tablets

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Their area of interest was between Queen Creek, Black point and Hewitt Canyon, as I understand it. It was in Hewitt Canyon that TT made the big discovery that set his family up for life- unrelated to the Stone Maps, though.

TT's tale of finding the Stone Maps out by Queen Creek by walking from his car is complete fiction.

I've never believed that Travis found the Stone Maps out by Queen Creek, either. Travis making a big discovery in Hewitt that set his family up for life seems to run counter to the evidence.

RG had a story that Travis was some kind of land baron because he found some robbery loot and bought up a bunch of land in TX. Yet Travis lives out his life as a camp caretaker in Oregon. Why not live on his land in TX? Of course, Blake the GPR man ran off with the portion that Travis inexplicably buries out in the desert (as opposed to spending or investing ? )

The evidence I've seen doesn't indicate that Travis had an outsized amount of wealth, he seems to be an average guy living an average life. I haven't seen anything that would indicate Janie inherited much either.

What was it that Travis found in Hewitt? If it was worth money, where did the money go?

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
Mertil was (Roberts mom) it’s far fetched to find because records were sealed back in 51-1952… his birthday was 5-13-51 or 52? I’ll check. I know dna is probably the best way to go, I’ve been meaning to do it. I don’t know anyone on my dad’s side of the family, and he is resting in peace hopefully 🙏

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
He was born in Delaware. The funny thing is they moved to Arizona the same year the tablets were found. It always made me wonder?

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
I believe I may be the only person who has found something that is actually on the tablets? The meteorite. I’ll send you a pic. It looks like a black panther from a profile view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
It’s not the (treasure) it’s just orienting you on the map. Where you/it is. Possibly?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello Gregory
the actual title of the book is “From Whence we Came”
best regards

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
Mertil was young, maybe 16-17 when she got pregnant. That’s probably why my dad was put up for adoption. Back then it was shunned upon (still is).

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
I mean no disrespect and have nothing but respect for the Tumlinson family. My dad is probably not related and from (probably) Tomlinson. I was just curiously posting.

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
Studying those maps has brought me so much joy and excitement in my life!!! It has been the most exciting thing I’ve ever done in my life!!! It is a great adventure and quest!!! I love everything stone tablets, it puzzles all who lay eyes on it!!!

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
I hope that I, or someone solves the mystery! Just to give you a token of appreciation: I believe it’s saying (I go 36 places) not 18, but who knows?

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Did you collect the meteorite?
it looks like a nice specimen.

goldnlead77

Sep 3, 2023
Yes, I had it classified with Lawrence Garvey at ASU!!! He is a great guy, shout out to him!!! It’s a H-4 chondrite 3016 grams if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That one should be worth some money

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their area of interest was between Queen Creek, Black point and Hewitt Canyon, as I understand it. It was in Hewitt Canyon that TT made the big discovery that set his family up for life- unrelated to the Stone Maps, though.

TT's tale of finding the Stone Maps out by Queen Creek by walking from his car is complete fiction.
My insert has nothing to do with the stone maps, but with Black Point since was related in the post. Black Point was a landmark of orientation for the Peraltas while they were coming and entered the Superstitions from the south. They would pass the Gila River at Adamsville and would heading north to Black Point. Then they would pass west from Black Point in the canyon that goes north and comes out at Quarter Circle U Ranch. The two buttes which the Peraltas used in their maps, are those little south of San Mateo Castro Ranch on the sides of that canyon. The Wiser map ( like centipede ) to the LDM, also starts from that region.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never believed that Travis found the Stone Maps out by Queen Creek, either. Travis making a big discovery in Hewitt that set his family up for life seems to run counter to the evidence.

RG had a story that Travis was some kind of land baron because he found some robbery loot and bought up a bunch of land in TX. Yet Travis lives out his life as a camp caretaker in Oregon. Why not live on his land in TX? Of course, Blake the GPR man ran off with the portion that Travis inexplicably buries out in the desert (as opposed to spending or investing ? )

The evidence I've seen doesn't indicate that Travis had an outsized amount of wealth, he seems to be an average guy living an average life. I haven't seen anything that would indicate Janie inherited much either.

What was it that Travis found in Hewitt? If it was worth money, where did the money go?

I'm pretty sure that not even the current Tumlinsons know just exactly how the Stone Maps came to be in TT's possession.

I, myself, am pretty sure that through Peg Leg, the family had already been in possession of at least one Stone Map. And it's plausible that TT may have found the trail maps (sandstone maps) at a later date. His descriptions of finding them stacked or buried face to face, preserving the flat, carved sides just contains more details than usual.

RG has been caught in so many lies it's hard to make sense of what really happened.

TT reportedly found a cache of hand-cobbled gold ore.

And as far as where the money went, Aileen is said to have made some large land purchases in Texas after Travis's died. Perhaps a property search would yield some results? There is also reportedly a Tumlinson trust fund.

My knowledge as far as the Tumlinsons is pretty limited. @gollum and @sgtfda know far more and probably could add more if they so desired.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty sure that not even the current Tumlinsons know just exactly how the Stone Maps came to be in TT's possession.

I, myself, am pretty sure that through Peg Leg, the family had already been in possession of at least one Stone Map. And it's plausible that TT may have found the trail maps (sandstone maps) at a later date. His descriptions of finding them stacked or buried face to face, preserving the flat, carved sides just contains more details than usual.

RG has been caught in so many lies it's hard to make sense of what really happened.

TT reportedly found a cache of hand-cobbled gold ore.

And as far as where the money went, Aileen is said to have made some large land purchases in Texas after Travis's died. Perhaps a property search would yield some results? There is also reportedly a Tumlinson trust fund.

My knowledge as far as the Tumlinsons is pretty limited. @gollum and @sgtfda know far more and probably could add more if they so desired.
I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Travis found some gold ore stashed in Hewitt...unrelated to the stone maps ;)

Part of the problem that mine owners had back in the day in AZ was any rich pocket of gold their employees hit in a mine would be certainly high-graded. There were plenty of mines in the area that reasonably could contain rich pockets of gold, and if it was a small-time miner that made a big strike, he'd have good incentive to stash anything he couldn't carry out. Luckily for us, these mines were in/nearby remote areas where it would be quick and easy to stash some high-grade unobserved. Not all of those stashes were recovered.

I like the stash/cache theory, and such stashes tend to build up over time...I did it myself quite a few times while rock-hounding. Quite a few of my caches are still out in the desert, as far as I know...although many have been paved over by shopping malls or housing developments...the only one I had that contained gold, is now a subdivision just south of a 6-lane highway. When I stashed it, there was nothing there but desert and a little strip of blacktop that led pretty much nowhere.

Thanks for the post, A. Take care, Jim

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Travis found some gold ore stashed in Hewitt...unrelated to the stone maps ;) ...

... I like the stash/cache theory, and such stashes tend to build up over time...I did it myself quite a few times while rock-hounding. Quite a few of my caches are still out in the desert, as far as I know...although many have been paved over by shopping malls or housing developments...the only one I had that contained gold, is now a subdivision just south of a 6-lane highway. When I stashed it, there was nothing there but desert and a little strip of blacktop that led pretty much nowhere.
Excellent point. If you're ever in southwest CO with time on your hands, you might poke around "in the rocks, off the highway between Montrose and Ridgeway". There's a considerable amount of gold in quartz picture rock temporarily hidden there by a paranoid stope miner who unexpectedly died in the 1970s. He didn't want to store it in his garage like the other high-graders did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread