🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Possible Treasure Marker?

Ankeeland97

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2023
Hope I'm doing this right. I'm new here and still trying to figure this all out.
I've got 110 acres in NW Arkansas that has an old wagon trail that used to cut through part of the property. And there are multiple stories of Spanish gold/silver being hidden out here. And several years ago a man actually came out and asked if he could dig for it. And he claimed to have a map. But as far as we know he never found anything. But I've been doing some exploring of the property lately and came across this large boulder that just seems too out of the ordinary to not mean something. I was wondering what you guys thought?

Attachments

• 2023-08-07-00-48-57.jpg
    2023-08-07-00-48-57.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230806_193929~2.jpg
    20230806_193929~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230803_120602.jpg
    20230803_120602.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 62

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thick slabs like that are common in this part of the country, and seeing them standing vertical isn't particularly unusual. However, they are usually standing near other rocks or slopes that they fell from sometime in the past. Yours does seem a bit unusual just because it's not next to a larger rock face. Whether that means anything or not, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the guy who was looking needed to be interrogated thoroughly! Including his map.

What do you think?
The upright slab might have came from near where it would lay if flat.
It does make a good indicator to drop through there. But is it natural or manipulated is your question.
Which leads to another , why?

Along a trail makes for a good stop. At water maybe even better.
Out of sight of traffic (and is there no traffic unless you don't want traffic to see you? Probably) to hide something.
You know the area. Can you hide something close to the wagon trail and recover it easy too?
Then why go any farther? The more complicated a hide , the harder the recovery. When no one sees you hide something , it can be in sight of a trail. But beware of trail traffic watching you.

Was there a horse trail off to the side along the wagon trail? Rock face somewhere a horse rider need not dismount to check a stone "mailbox?"

There's quite a gap under the slabs shown in your standing slabs picture. An attractive snake hiding place. I might ease a detector in there. Being cautious of potential occupants or sunning snakes on the approach. But is the standing slab visible from the trail? And the trail from it? During all seasons? Is water near? I stop a horse short of water it might not like it. And then I go frog around nearby? Sure some horses tolerate that. Better to water them first if it's been a while and again weather factors. Both in deposits and recoveries.

Someone curios seeing you/a stranger go by might study your trail after. Normal stops are normal stops.
Water. A camp site with a vantage (often near water too) and hearth. Some grazing area.
An extended view for a brief rest. Even a view of the trail distant fore or aft. Both would be alright!

Find some rest stops.
Look for odd color or type rock away from sleeping/sitting areas.

Some folks buried valuables under where they slept. (Returning from a sale for example, stock or market goods. Or going to buy livestock ect.). Obviously not going to do that on rock. Or in stony ground.
Your wagon trail connect to a town? Does a river meet it somewhere?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions