Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy(UPDATE) Years coin find total pic

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy(UPDATE) Years coin find total pic

Once again the forcast sucks for Sunday so the 3 detectateers decided to go on Friday. We would have gone Saturday but my wife and I were invited to someones house for a grand munchout. I figured why not take my last vacation day of the year. It's a good thing I did. We went back to the same site where last week I found the KG III and Kyle found his Draped bust half cent. Different field though. We detected almost a quarter mile from the last field. I wasn't swinging 20 minutes and it seemed I sniffed this one out because it was directly in my first line of swinging. A copper was pulled from 4 inches of doit and revealed 2 holes in the coin. Kirk reminded me that this was a copper that was altered into a childs buzzer toy. String was put through the holes. It was then wound up and released to make a buzzing sound. Lets face it folks, these early American colonists did not have alot of money or options to keep a bored youngun occupied so they made some toys for them.I noticed some letters on the coin but couldnt make much else out. When I got home and was taking pics of my finds Kyle called me and beat me to the redbook for identification. You can make out the RIB of pluribus and the whole UNUM. NEW JERSEY COPPER BABY. My first confirmed. Mostly Connecticut post colonials found in this part of Pa. As a matter of fact I found a nice one about a hundred yards or so to the east of this one about 7 weeks ago. I found a nice colonial buckle and a fragment of an ornate shoe buckle. Plus 2 dropped musketballs.This rounded out my hunt. My streak continues with 32 coppers for the year. Kyle found one of our most desirable target coppers, a Liberty Cap half cent. What a day.Enjoy everyone. :icon_king:
Chris
PIC00007-6.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy

I don't want to kill the buzz of a great first find & to me its more interesting than a coin that hasn't been holed. However, logic I think would say this was likely to have been converted some time after the colonial period? Would you not agree?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome day Chris. :o :o I was fortunate enough to find a nice Jersey copper in April of this year. Welcome to the Jersey club bud. Now I need to go out and find about 100 draped bust coins to catch up with you in that category for the year. :D :D What's the other side of that coppa look like? Can you make out the plow or the horse's head at all?. What's that put the group at for the year? 68? ??? 70 on the next hunt for sure. :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

Rob

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

CRUSADER said:
I don't want to kill the buzz of a great first find & to me its more interesting than a coin that hasn't been holed. However, logic I think would say this was likely to have been converted some time after the colonial period? Would you not agree?
Indeed, Post colonial is after the colonial coin era. New Jerseys were made 1786 and 1787.This coin was probably altered around 1800 or so. Not sure. I found a K G III copper not far from it a while ago.
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
CRUSADER said:
Indeed, Post colonial is after the colonial coin era. New Jerseys were made 1786 and 1787.This coin was probably altered around 1800 or so. Not sure. I found a K G III copper not far from it a while ago.
Chris

Thats what I was kinda thinking, about 1800-1820 convert. I think I would buzz it for old times sake, we are all big kids after all & your be the first one since it was lost. Even with the kids imagination they would have never have guessed that after playing with it, some space aged man would find it with an electromagnetic field :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Evolution said:
Awesome day Chris. :o :o I was fortunate enough to find a nice Jersey copper in April of this year. Welcome to the Jersey club bud. Now I need to go out and find about 100 draped bust coins to catch up with you in that category for the year. :D :D What's the other side of that coppa look like? Can you make out the plow or the horse's head at all?. What's that put the group at for the year? 68? ??? 70 on the next hunt for sure. :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

Rob
Thanks Evolution, I appreciate it. It is nice to belong to the Jersey club. The other side of the coin has no discernable detail. Yes we now have 68 coppers for the year. We are hoping for at least 70 but we will have to see. 8)
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

CRUSADER said:
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
CRUSADER said:
Chris

Thats what I was kinda thinking, about 1800-1820 convert. I think I would buzz it for old times sake, we are all big kids after all & your be the first one since it was lost. Even with the kids imagination they would have never have guessed that after playing with it, some space aged man would find it with an electromagnetic field :thumbsup:
I may have to do that Cru...And yeah that sure leaves alot to the imagination. If only that kid knew. :thumbsup:
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
I think I would buzz it for old times sake, we are all big kids after all & your be the first one since it was lost. Even with the kids imagination they would have never have guessed that after playing with it, some space aged man would find it with an electromagnetic field :thumbsup:

What a Cool thought!

Great finds, Chris! I'm living vicariously through your posts. :) Still no copper for us today, but we found two items that rank higher on my list than a LC (even though it's hard for me to say that, as you know). :o

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks more like a coin converted into a button, could be a whizzer toy though! Looks old. All of my whizzers are made of lead. HH and nice find, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
Looks more like a coin converted into a button, could be a whizzer toy though! Looks old. All of my whizzers are made of lead. HH and nice find, Mike

That is a good point, I missed the obivious. I know they did make buttons out of these sometimes. You may be right. You ruin my nice image now :-\

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good point. I have a half dime that was holed twice for use as a button. Same hole position as this Jersey has.

-Buckles

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

awesome chris,

how many coppers is that now ???!!! 32 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing year buddy, big congrats to you guys !

take care,

kevin

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chris,
Your streak continues. :icon_king: Way to go on the finds. I love that two-holed coin. :thumbsup:
Congrats to Kyle too. :thumbsup:
Great post,
Doug

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chris, very nice pieces :thumbsup: especially that "converted" copper!
And with the wide spacing of the two holes, I'll bet that thing really hums a sweet NJ tune :)

You guys have really been depleting the copper reserves :D

Take care & say hi to K & K for me. . . Thanks!
watercolor

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Bavaria Mike said:
A button was my guess also. Could be either. I'm leaning toward toy.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
I think I would buzz it for old times sake, we are all big kids after all & your be the first one since it was lost. Even with the kids imagination they would have never have guessed that after playing with it, some space aged man would find it with an electromagnetic field :thumbsup:

What a Cool thought!

Great finds, Chris! I'm living vicariously through your posts. :) Still no copper for us today, but we found two items that rank higher on my list than a LC (even though it's hard for me to say that, as you know). :o

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Thanks Will, It is another notch in my belt. Something different and interesting. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

vpone said:
awesome chris,

how many coppers is that now ???!!! 32 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing year buddy, big congrats to you guys !

take care,

kevin
Thanks Kevin and congratulations on your new aquisition. That detector sounds powerful.
Chris

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Greetings from NH and wow that is a cool find. Talk about proof of history in that childs buzzer toy. Too bad they had to go and use a nice NJ copper to make though.... You guys have found a lot of coppers there in PA. Any copper is great and yours is the ultimate!!!! Way to go on that one 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions