Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy(UPDATE) Years coin find total pic

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy(UPDATE) Years coin find total pic

Once again the forcast sucks for Sunday so the 3 detectateers decided to go on Friday. We would have gone Saturday but my wife and I were invited to someones house for a grand munchout. I figured why not take my last vacation day of the year. It's a good thing I did. We went back to the same site where last week I found the KG III and Kyle found his Draped bust half cent. Different field though. We detected almost a quarter mile from the last field. I wasn't swinging 20 minutes and it seemed I sniffed this one out because it was directly in my first line of swinging. A copper was pulled from 4 inches of doit and revealed 2 holes in the coin. Kirk reminded me that this was a copper that was altered into a childs buzzer toy. String was put through the holes. It was then wound up and released to make a buzzing sound. Lets face it folks, these early American colonists did not have alot of money or options to keep a bored youngun occupied so they made some toys for them.I noticed some letters on the coin but couldnt make much else out. When I got home and was taking pics of my finds Kyle called me and beat me to the redbook for identification. You can make out the RIB of pluribus and the whole UNUM. NEW JERSEY COPPER BABY. My first confirmed. Mostly Connecticut post colonials found in this part of Pa. As a matter of fact I found a nice one about a hundred yards or so to the east of this one about 7 weeks ago. I found a nice colonial buckle and a fragment of an ornate shoe buckle. Plus 2 dropped musketballs.This rounded out my hunt. My streak continues with 32 coppers for the year. Kyle found one of our most desirable target coppers, a Liberty Cap half cent. What a day.Enjoy everyone. :icon_king:
Chris
PIC00007-6.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy

Ed-NH said:
Greetings from NH and wow that is a cool find. Talk about proof of history in that childs buzzer toy. Too bad they had to go and use a nice NJ copper to make though.... You guys have found a lot of coppers there in PA. Any copper is great and yours is the ultimate!!!! Way to go on that one 8)
Thanks Ed, from another fellow Noreasterner. :thumbsup: Love your avatar my man. :icon_king:
Chris

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chris...nice finds as always bro :thumbsup: The grounds freezin' here as we speak. I will be lucky if I get one more short hunt in. ???

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The ground in pa must be polluted with copper keep up the great work saving the environment :thumbsup:! What a great hunt hope ya hit the 70 mark this year.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Wow, Chris. Another Coppa!! :o ::)

I knew you would score again!! You're having an amazing year, and if it's all over now, I can't wait for your year end post!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was used as a child's 'buzzer toy'? ;D ;D I would have never known that. :icon_scratch:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

watercolor said:
Chris, very nice pieces :thumbsup: especially that "converted" copper!
And with the wide spacing of the two holes, I'll bet that thing really hums a sweet NJ tune :)

You guys have really been depleting the copper reserves :D

Take care & say hi to K & K for me. . . Thanks!
watercolor
Thanks Watercolor, This was a first for me. Jersey Coppers are few and far between in these parts. I will tell K & K you said hey.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

silverfreak said:
Chris...nice finds as always bro :thumbsup: The grounds freezin' here as we speak. I will be lucky if I get one more short hunt in. ???
Thanks Bryce, Looks like it['s time to break out the dynamite. ( If the Dept. of home security is spying on this thread then it's time to chill...I was referring to using it on the frozen ground. ;D)
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

collector_1 said:
The ground in pa must be polluted with copper keep up the great work saving the environment :thumbsup:! What a great hunt hope ya hit the 70 mark this year.
Yeah Collector ..this area of Pa is so polluted with copper that when you look outside at any point the color green is most prevalent. ;D
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Chris. Another Coppa!! :o ::)

I knew you would score again!! You're having an amazing year, and if it's all over now, I can't wait for your year end post!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was used as a child's 'buzzer toy'? ;D ;D I would have never known that. :icon_scratch:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the accolades. As for the 2 holes made for the use as a childs toy..It is possible. It is also possible that it was used as a button. But then again it is also possible that it is a crucial missing piece for an alien inter dimentional rift machine and that if they could just wrest it from my unyielding hands then the invasion would begin. There simply is no proof either way that it is a toy or a button or something all together different. This will be debated until proven. :thumbsup:
Chris

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice job Chris on the Coppa, you guys have been tearing them up this year. :thumbsup:

How much longer is the TO in effect? Sure is quiet around here.Starting to miss the DoubleMints 8)
HB

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's pretty Sweet Chris.....I wouldn't care what it was :thumbsup: Congrat's and Merry Christmas!!!!

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Hill Billy said:
Nice job Chris on the Coppa, you guys have been tearing them up this year. :thumbsup:

How much longer is the TO in effect? Sure is quiet around here.Starting to miss the DoubleMints 8)
HB
Thanks Hillbilly...I'm not sure..Alls quiet on the western front.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

civilman1 said:
That's pretty Sweet Chris.....I wouldn't care what it was :thumbsup: Congrat's and Merry Christmas!!!!
Thanks Civilman. Right back at ya my man. :icon_sunny:
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The streak continued, amazing, looks like only frozen ground will stop you for the year, and not getting skunked! :thumbsup:

The question of why colonial, post colonial and early American coins were holed has been tossed around for years. There are lots of possible uses and what a shame there were no cameras in those days to where we could see possibly how some were actually used.

I talked to a couple of colonial coin collectors/researchers and was told there was an article or two about holed coins in the CNL (Colonial Newsletter) years ago. In fact the one person I talked to last evening wrote an article for CNL on a rare three holed NJ copper that he said was used as a whirligig. I would love to get a copy of both articles from CNL and see what they thought holed coins were made/used for. Also, would like to ask the writer why he says the three holed one was considered a whirligig. :icon_scratch:

Anyway, the question as to the use of a two holed coin was asked and I got the expected response, could have been this, could have been that. Button and Whirligig/Buzzer/Whizzer were both mentioned along with other possibilities.

In the research I have done on the subject, I think that a true colonial or post colonial era whirligig was made out of a musketball or other piece of lead, holes drilled and edges usually serrated. Those are without a doubt whirligigs (attached photo of mine). Three photos of Rev War era Whirligigs are in the "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" by George Neumann and Frank Kravic, all three were made from musket balls. However, I also found a website which deals with colonial toys and it states that coins were used, but if worn, thin and of no value anymore. http://www.historylives.com/toysandgames.htm

With that information, another use for a viable and still useable coin being holed is more likely. Buttons were considered quite necessary and to lose one on ones apparel would cause concern and a replacement needed. One must remember the large buttons were in vogue for many decades and the colonial era coppers fit the size of those buttons to be a good replacement.

I am somewhat certain as to why the edges on the whirligigs were serrated, to make more noise when spinning. Well, I am going to find out today, I already have a 1724 KGI copper and a 1816 Large Cent with two holes in them and I can either open up my shadow box and get out the lead whirligig or take one of my musketballs and make one, then string them and compare how they work.

I already tried the 1816 Large Cent last night and the only noise I hear is a light buzzing from the string as it unwinds, don't think the coin causes any noise. I will see if serrated edges makes a difference and post results later.

Thanks for posting the NJ, I am still trying to see if I can at least date the year, but not looking good, but at least another NJ was found in your area, and not too many have been found that far west, a few further west but not many.

Don

Attachments

• WhirligigToyLeadMusketball.jpg
    WhirligigToyLeadMusketball.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 594

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Although later date, here's a two-holed coin I found...

:wink:

Z.jpg

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok lost here someone please show a pic of buzzer toy. I have never seen one but yrs ago I did find a 1802 large cent with a square nail in it but did find out that it was a good luck piece for someones house hold. Cool find :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IAsoldier said:
Ok lost here someone please show a pic of buzzer toy. I have never seen one but yrs ago I did find a 1802 large cent with a square nail in it but did find out that it was a good luck piece for someones house hold. Cool find :thumbsup:

I posted one just two posts above your post also a website with some explanation.........Also made one today from a colonial musket ball, it was rather easy, not hard to flatten the lead ball, easy to put a square nail through it, and easy to file serrations in it.

Don

Attachments

• BuzzerWhizzerWhirligig.jpg
    BuzzerWhizzerWhirligig.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,217
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Here's a pic of all my coppers,spanish silvers and counterfeits for this year. Kyle A.k.a Lemony Snicket provided the hand modeling. Quite the handful. 32 coppers Half are Draped busts, One Liberty cap thicky, many King Georges, Probable French copper,2 Connec's,1 Jersey copper, Counterfeit Draped bust dollar and large cent/potential quarter. Kirk and Kyles coins were not available at press time for the pic. Kyle's hands were tired at the end of this shoot from the weight.
Chris
PIC00001-7.jpg

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Post Colonial Copper childs buzzer toy(UPDATE) Years coin find total pic

Hey CCZ !!!

What a remarkable season !!!! KKC rules Colonial Pennsylvania !!

BTW 2008 isnt finished yet , ground isnt frozen yet , and frozen ground and -30 windchills never stopped the KKC machine !!

AWESOME finds !! :thumbsup:

Derek :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread