Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I bought my used (4hs) MXTP, I paid 500. I'd say 600 is still fair and I'd pay that for another. Great machine.

OP
OP
kdenz

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you take the mxtp over an at pro?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would you take the mxtp over an at pro?
Nope!

I loved my MXTP. Liked it better than the Etrac I had and even better than the Vx3 I also owned. It was my favorite detector. That changed once I got my ATP.
I didn't really care for the ATP when I first got it. The quality & some design features were what I considered substandard and I didn't care for the balance even though it was a full pound less than either of my Whites. I was comparing a $600 detector to 1000-$1500 after all. But once I put the 5x8 coil on the ATP, everything changed. It all came together and quickly became my favorite detector. The balance became 100% better, it still hit the deep coins loud & clear, works magic on bottle caps, works in the rain, incredible target separation, tone roll, iron audio, loves nickels etc etc.
I have NEVER felt out gunned or under powered once I got use to it. In fact, I was using my Vx3 one day and kept thinking "wonder if I'm missing anything, sure wish I had my ATP today". Thing is, I use to be a AT Pro hater/basher before I used one.
Two thing that DO NOT impress me about the the ATP...1) the cam lock quality is a bit on the cheap side. However, I have never had a problem with them. 2) the headset plug design plain sucks. It's tough to get lined up and pushed in and also a PITA to tighten unless you're a 10yo girl with tiny hands.
However performance is never an issue. It'll hang with with just about anything out there for a much lower price. Oh sure the haters and/or brand loyal drones will disagree (especially ones that have never had or used one) but it really is a good machine. If I could only have one, the AT Pro would be it.

Someone will show up in just a little bit and let you know how well they don't work on certain salt beaches (a big concern in WI) and how it's only waterproof to 10ft and that certain waves (again, another big problem in WI) can cause more pressure than that thus making it leak...Don't mind him!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my AT Pro shortly after getting it. I felt it couldn't compare to the MXT Pro, but then again, I didn't need it for the water. I have another detector I use for that.

OP
OP
kdenz

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont plan on doing a lot of underwater detecting anyways so i might just get the mxtp say if the say if the at pro was not waterproof which one would you go with? sorry for the questions just trying to do a little research before i buy

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the one on craiglist is still under warranty it would be worth it probably but if not for about the same price you can get the AT Pro in the box w/warranty that way you don't get stuck buying a damaged $600.00 dollar detector that you spend more trying to get repaired.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont plan on doing a lot of underwater detecting anyways so i might just get the mxtp say if the say if the at pro was not waterproof which one would you go with? sorry for the questions just trying to do a little research before i buy
Waterproof or not, I'd still opt for the ATP. But that's me. The MXT Pro is a great detector and I'd never feel disadvantaged by it either (unless I want to hunt in the rain. Which I do!) Volume controlled headset is a must IMO. The MXTP is LOUD and can annoy people at a fair distance. I still feel 600 is fair to good for a like new MXTP.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other great advantage the Atpro has iron audio that helps alot

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other great advantage the Atpro has iron audio that helps alot
Right! That along with it's Tone Roll. The audio feedback the ATP gives the user is great.

Some of the nice things about the MXTP I liked were the back lit screen, Ground Grab, 3 Trac settings & 3 search modes. You can also adjust the threshold to silent search if you wish which is nice because the MXTP can be one Chatty Kathy.

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an MXT Pro and now have an at pro. The MXT pro was good but I love my AT pro so much more. the smaller 5x8 coil rocks. The ATP feels so much light than the MXT pro. The only thing I don't like about the at pro is no back light for hunting in the dark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions