PRIVATE PROPERTY...HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU.??

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly....If I caught someone trespassing/metal detecting on my land I would be SUPER pissed off too....I really don't think the property owner was out of line....You were out of line by trespassing.

Would you walk onto a person's front yard in a neighborhood and just start digging? Why is it any different just because the property is bigger?

Now he's upset and you'll never know if you had just asked if he would have said yes.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks like their privacy for other than illegal activity. Going back may get you shot. I would drop a card in the mail, with contact info. Maybe explain briefly why you were there so the folks dont turn dogs loose on the next guy. Being in the same situation as the home owner, I can tell you things happen that change a persons mind about allowing unannounced visitors on the place. Its very doubtful you wil change this guys mind no matter what you do. I think he made sure you wouldn't come back. He probably got a good laugh out of it and will still tell the story for years to come. You can come dig in my yard anytime, all 100 square feet of it, lol.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks like their privacy for other than illegal activity. Going back may get you shot. I would drop a card in the mail, with contact info. Maybe explain briefly why you were there so the folks dont turn dogs loose on the next guy. Being in the same situation as the home owner, I can tell you things happen that change a persons mind about allowing unannounced visitors on the place. Its very doubtful you wil change this guys mind no matter what you do. I think he made sure you wouldn't come back. He probably got a good laugh out of it and will still tell the story for years to come. You can come dig in my yard anytime, all 100 square feet of it, lol.

You might have the right to shoot someone for trespassing in the United States, but in Nova Scotia, Canada, where Aqua is from, it would probably be considered manslaughter or 2nd degree murder if a landowner did that. I wouldn't trespass on someone's private property either, but shooting someone for doing so is extreme.

Remember the line from Signs by Five Man Electrical Band........The sign said anybody caught trespassin will be shot on sight, so I jumped on the fence and yelled at the house, "What gives you the right?"

I'm not condoning trespassing, but the landowner could have conducted himself better. As Aqua stated and being from Nova Scotia, people are GENERALLY friendlier from small towns and do not mind so much since everyone knows everyone, but if someone from outside, especially another country buys property in the area and catch you on it, may not be so friendly. Just my opinion.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Hmmm. You were wrong, he had all the right in the world.... But, I hate belligerent rants, excessive tirades, and especially threats of violence from shoeless people-----
So, since permission was unlikely- I'd roll up to the beginning of the drive and throw a 5 gallon bucket worth of roofing nails up his road. Go back in a few days and see if he needs a detectorist now.
No- that would be mean.
How about- ride around and collect up a few past elections signs for the local Sherriff, Constable, etc... spray paint "sucks" under the name and stick them in his yard right before you call the Same- about a major disturbance at that address...
No- that's just childishly spiteful.
How about- Collect up a gallon glass pickle jar and fill it full of silver coins- go back and show him that and tell him you found there a few years ago- when you had permission, and that there was suposedly 40 jars buried there- You had found one, your partner had found one, but 38 were left- and just this week you finally broke the code and You had finally narrowed the remaining spots to just a few hundred feet and you be willing to continue to look if he wanted to Split the treasure- or not...
Yeah - that a good one--- do that!

Or let it pass and get permission next time, next property...
PEACE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, you were wrong, if you knew the property had been sold, but he was a total a hole. If I saw someone on my property, I would go out and talk to them, hay maybe they knew where "my" cache was buried.lol Frank... z taft face.jpg

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, there was a case, on a recent post, where someone tried such a thing. Went back, tried to shake hands and try again, start over, etc...

The case in the post awhile back was where a person had gotten a "no" for an old town demolition site. Once they got back home, they realized that this spot looked REALLY good. And they realized that they'd failed to leave their business card/contact info, in case the const. guy changed his mind. And they thought: "maybe I can explain myself a little better, and get him to change his mind". But when they got back to the site, the const. worker went ballistic. When forumites read the story, everyone was quick to give great "slow-motion-replay" advice. They tell him "well you should never have gone back" and "what part of 'no' don't you understand?", etc....

See how that works? But if the const. worker had had a change of heart, and the guy had found 5 gold coins, guess what all those same people would have been saying?:

"Wow congradulations!"
and "see, it never hurts to try again", and "persistence pays off!".

See how monday morning slow motion quarterback replay works?

If I remember correctly in that post the hunter had asked for and been denied permission the first time. I would go back to the new owner and apologize for being on his property without permission. I would not mention being able to hunt there again. Who knows, the guy may have a change of heart or even explain why he acted like he did. Or, he might tell me to get off his property and never set foot on it again. Either way, I would know that I did what I could do to set the matter straight.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly in that post the hunter had asked for and been denied permission the first time. I would go back to the new owner and apologize for being on his property without permission. I would not mention being able to hunt there again. Who knows, the guy may have a change of heart or even explain why he acted like he did. Or, he might tell me to get off his property and never set foot on it again. Either way, I would know that I did what I could do to set the matter straight.

This is Why i say Don't go back, Send an Apology , But don't ask him to recosider.
let him make the next move.

In this case the Owner was from "across the Country" perhaps so new he doesn't know anyone.
The apology with a gift certificate for a case, a 6'er or Wally-Mart
may just make him go Hmm, call you and accept your apology over the phone,
and invite you back, of course again, unless he stipulates; you should
leave the detector at home until he invites you to hunt, or till you's become
close enough friends you feel he won't think the friend thing was a ruse :laughing7:

some people are so paranoid, he may start thinking you know something about the last owner he don't, & are looking for something he now owns

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just make sure you keep us updated on what happens next...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said at the start..

not looking for sympathy etc......I,m a big boy and know what I did was wrong.

Just stating a fact that small communities/towns are changing from what it used to be like 20 years ago.

So beware all who think we still live a friendly neighbourhood..ask permission is the moral of the story !!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As I said at the start..

not looking for sympathy etc......I,m a big boy and know what I did was wrong.

Just stating a fact that small communities/towns are changing from what it used to be like 20 years ago.

So beware all who think we still live a friendly neighbourhood..ask permission is the moral of the story !!!!

Or be in an area or situation in which things have not "changed" .

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1more 4me- I like your thinking; not in this case, but something to remember!
Hunter was wrong. Don't know if I'd go back to property and apologize, but if I saw him in town, would try to explain and see where it went.

Shep

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a similar story here. My dad had some elderly cousins that owned hundreds of acres out in the country. For decades they pretty much let anyone who wanted to hunt and trap out there. After so many years nobody asked permission anymore. Those cousins eventually died and left the property to their nephew. The nephew moved out there and renovated the old farm house and cleaned up the farm.

Shorty after taking possession of the property the nephew was out walking on his property when some redneck pulled up on an ATV and demanded that he immediately leaves. The guy on the ATV was practically frothing at the mouth making threats and yelling at him about "his" hunting grounds. I'm not sure how the nephew kept his cool and didn't knock this moron's lights out, but after informing that the guy he owned the property and that the cops were on the way, the redneck was last seen on his ATV driving back to where he came from.

After that encounter the nephew put up many "no trespassing" signs and will run off anyone caught on his property. I believe the guy on the ATV was just the first of several bad encounters since taking over the old farm, which is why he will no longer let anyone on the property.

Times have changed. Always ask permission for private property. Even when I gain permission I will call and let the property owners know when and where I will be detecting there (what I will be driving, etc).

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you were wrong it doesn't give him the right to threaten to hurt you...cussing you is one thing but threating you is another.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you were wrong it doesn't give him the right to threaten to hurt you...cussing you is one thing but threating you is another.

YES... correct... the fact he was mad...I accept as was my fault for not asking instead of assuming.

But threatening to do physical harm is just way over the top....all I said to him was ..SORRY... then the threat came.

Like I said.... this is....WAS.... a small community where everyone all got along and no one ever cared if you went deer/rabbit hunting on their land.

Now you don,t dare even cross some peoples land when your walking outta the woods.

A fella said to me yesterday....I was MD his property..... "why would anyone care if you were MD their land ?? your not hurting anything and they are never gonna bother going looking for something buried in the dirt like musket balls and coins"

Is much more peacefull hobby than hunting...dogs barking and guns going off killing things......

LIKE I SAID...IT,S A MUCH DIFFERENT WORLD OUT THERE NOWADAYS AND PEOPLE IN IT ARE MUCH TOO TIGHTLY WOUND...BEWARE.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thing is everyone is afraid of being sued these days. Allowing someone on your land opens you up to lawsuits...

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aqua, I don't feel you should be criticized for this experience.
A couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me. I've had permission to eyeball arrowheads at a plowed field, just outside the city for 10 years.
The owner, a kind old man was happy to have me there saving history and was one of those rare gems of a person that is hard to find these days.
The field was in the middle of nowhere with no houses nearby.
Anyway, I was doing my thing and a truck pulls up with a middle aged guy spouting off obscenities at me. I walk up and had to tell him to lay off with the f-bombs as he had no right to talk to me like that.
I told him that I had permission and his reply was...."I stuck my dad in a old folks home and now I've taken over this property. Get the :censored: out of here!" I walked away pissed and noticed on the way out a "For Sale" sign.
That greedy fat **** had dollar signs in his eyes, now that he got rid of his nice old father. To this day, I still feel like beating his face to a pulp. That place had provided me with some the best prehistoric artifacts in my whole collection.
I grew up in a small town that's now full of snobby yuppies. These city folk move out to the country and bring their crappy mentality with them.
I could write a book on my experiences with these idiots over the last decade or so.
Yes, things have changed!
Unfortunately, we have to move on to the next spot.
Best of luck.
Dave.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A couple of years ago, the same thing happened to me. I've had permission to eyeball arrowheads at a plowed field, just outside the city for 10 years.
The owner, a kind old man was happy to have me there saving history and was one of those rare gems of a person that is hard to find these days.
Anyway, I was doing my thing and a truck pulls up with a middle aged guy spouting off obscenities at me. I walk up and had to tell him to lay off with the f-bombs as he had no right to talk to me like that.
I told him that I had permission and his reply was...."I stuck my dad in a old folks home and now I've taken over this property. Get the :censored: out of here!" I walked away pissed and noticed on the way out a "For Sale" sign.
That greedy fat **** had dollar signs in his eyes, now that he got rid of his nice old father. To this day, I still feel like beating his face to a pulp. That place had provided me with some the best prehistoric artifacts in my whole collection.
I grew up in a small town that's now full of snobby yuppies. These city folk move out to the country and bring their crappy mentality with them.
I could write a book on my experiences with these idiots over the last decade or so.
Best of luck.
Dave.

Dave, your right. That guy had no reason to talk to you like that. Especially after hearing you had permission from his dad. Just a dead beat leach on a power trip...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private property is just that - private.

End of story.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck.
Dave.

My grandfather was like the old man you describe. I don't think that he had an enemy in this world. When he passed away and my mom's younger brother inherited the entire farm. My uncle acts just like the guy who you described.

One time there was a truck with dog cages in the bed pulled off on the edge of one of his fields, obviously a guy bird hunting. My uncle gets all mad about this "trespasser" and proceeds to flatten all four of his tires to show this guy who's boss. Turns out to be one of his (now former) friends who he had given permission to hunt earlier. My douche of an uncle ended up buying the guy four new tires due to being a prick.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you knew the property had a new owner, didnt ask permisssion, and trespassed on his property. I understand why he was mad. What if he has buried caches on his property? If I was him, I would have reacted harshly as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread