PRIVATE PROPERTY...HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU.??

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if you have permission to be on the land, you wont have any problems to begin with...so always have permission or expect trouble.

Not always true. I've had permission from the land owner then family or friends show up flipping out over me being there. There was a guy in another thread a few weeks back talking about getting permission to hunt a church. The little lady gave him permission then a little later called the cops and had him run off. He said he barely got outta there without new bracelets. Around here everyone is quick to grab a gun just to be a bada I guess. But it gives guns and the owners a bad rep, that's why people are trying to ban them, think about it first thing someone says is get my gun....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not always true. I've had permission from the land owner then family or friends show up flipping out over me being there. There was a guy in another thread a few weeks back talking about getting permission to hunt a church. The little lady gave him permission then a little later called the cops and had him run off. He said he barely got outta there without new bracelets. Around here everyone is quick to grab a gun just to be a bada I guess. But it gives guns and the owners a bad rep, that's why people are trying to ban them, think about it first thing someone says is get my gun....

I agree to a point, But Having permission from someone should at least keep
you from arrest, as long as if told to leave, you do.

Arguing your permission is un-impeachable on the spot,
Even if you are the owner these days, isn't a smart thing to do.
maybe not even with a signature on a paper.
(if you live in a city,
or gated community, in a Million Dollar home, just on the spare of the moment
bring a Backhoe into your yard & start digging. See if you have a right )
better yet if you live in a gated community, just start detecting your front lawn
on a sunday about noon :laughing7:
& leave your front yard Like andy leaves Jim's here .
hey you have a deed !

I do always feel better having permission from someone though, even if it's Verbal from a Jogger, as long as they are 18 or above.
I had permission for an old abandoned school once from a lady behind the counter at the P.O.
who only said, I don't see why anyone would complain :dontknow:
naturally , I still could have been run off, & it probably didn't make me arrest proof,
But I had someone to point my finger at, while apologizing if she had been wrong.

I've had 6 or so.. year old children tell me I could hunt their yards,
But , noooo , I'm not that comfortable :laughing9:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you just have to be very careful now days...#1 you must always ask for permission...things have changed now days...im the same with our 200 acres up north....also it is a liability issue...if you get hurt, you can sue and his ins. goes up, if he even carries any because it is very expensive....thats why he was very upset possibly...do it was a drug issue like someone stated....people are very protective now days....ask permission and be safe...

Gary

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have wrapped your Metal detector around his bloody neck!!!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should have wrapped your Metal detector around his bloody neck!!!!

In that case be sure to use a very cheap detector.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk 2

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of nuts out there with itchy trigger fingers waiting for an excuse to shoot someone. Times are changing and people are paranoid.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of nuts out there with itchy trigger fingers waiting for an excuse to shoot someone. Times are changing and people are paranoid.

This is my point exactly.....

It,s the reason I started this thread...to let people know they need to be carefull ......not to get sympathy for myself...its a lesson learned.

It just still bothers me that someone I have never met can act that like......maybe I,m just a nieve small town man.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Changed permission doesn't just happen with metal detecting and private property.

I worked for 31 years at a large, high-tech electronic factory. We had a credit union, a very friendly one. When we took vacation, we asked about paying our weekly payment while we were gone. The staff said, "Don't worry about it. We know you get vacations. When you are gone, we just add back the accrued interest. No problem."

Without notice to us, after a lot of years, they got a new manager. Suddenly, when we took vacation we got delinquent notices for not paying. When I asked about the change, the new college graduate kiddie in charge, really used shaming language on me, talking to me like I was a dumb little kid. "Why wouldn't you think you have to pay while you were on vacation?"

Well, because your management folks told us that for years, maybe.

A lot of other people were really upset by this as well. I viewed it as management incompetence. The old people should have warned the new people we had been told not to worry about it. And, they could have sent a statement in the monthly statement that the rules had changed.

That was the last time I ever borrowed money from them. I took the money out of savings, which meant they had less invested savings. Their choice

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
This also brings up another issue. Here in Mexico, though things are slightly changing in that respect, when you are charged with a crime you are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence. That scares a lot of people, but if you fully understand it, it's not so bad.

I give the example of walking on the grass when there is a DO NOT WALK IN THE GRASS sign. In the US, there is usually a deep path beside the sign. In Mexico the grass is tall; green; and lush.

In the US if you are charged with walking on the grass, you can whine you didn't see the sign; and you had a speck in your eye, and besides you were abused as a child; and you will probably get off.

In Mexico, if the cop brings charges, you pay, period, unless somehow you can prove it wasn't you, which is hard when he nabs you there on the grass.

So, in the US, I see people skirting the law. "They aren't going to do anything to me." They see what they can get away with.

In Mexico, you need to constantly worry, "What might I do that could get me in trouble?" And, don't do it.

My best friend is the former. He is always saying, "They aren't going to do anything but tell me to stop." And, I am one who worries how to avoid problems instead of getting in trouble.

Once, he wanted to walk on the railroad track in his neighborhood. We both knew it was illegal, technically. But, we also knew it happened all the time. As we walked, I kept looking back. He finally threw a tantrum. It was bugging his majesty that I kept looking back. He said we can hear the train coming two miles away. Just stop it!

In a few minutes, a pickup horn honked. It was one of the white railroad pickups with the rail wheels. I jumped off the right side and he jumped off the left side. So he got chewed out and I did not. That was fair.

I knew about the pickups and that is why I was looking back.

I see those two different personalities reflected in the postings here. Some would not think of MDing without asking permission first. Others assume it will probably be okay and then whine when they have problems.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This also brings up another issue. Here in Mexico, though things are slightly changing in that respect, when you are charged with a crime you are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence. That scares a lot of people, but if you fully understand it, it's not so bad.

I give the example of walking on the grass when there is a DO NOT WALK IN THE GRASS sign. In the US, there is usually a deep path beside the sign. In Mexico the grass is tall; green; and lush.

In the US if you are charged with walking on the grass, you can whine you didn't see the sign; and you had a speck in your eye, and besides you were abused as a child; and you will probably get off.

In Mexico, if the cop brings charges, you pay, period, unless somehow you can prove it wasn't you, which is hard when he nabs you there on the grass.

So, in the US, I see people skirting the law. "They aren't going to do anything to me." They see what they can get away with.

In Mexico, you need to constantly worry, "What might I do that could get me in trouble?" And, don't do it.

My best friend is the former. He is always saying, "They aren't going to do anything but tell me to stop." And, I am one who worries how to avoid problems instead of getting in trouble.

Once, he wanted to walk on the railroad track in his neighborhood. We both knew it was illegal, technically. But, we also knew it happened all the time. As we walked, I kept looking back. He finally threw a tantrum. It was bugging his majesty that I kept looking back. He said we can hear the train coming two miles away. Just stop it!

In a few minutes, a pickup horn honked. It was one of the white railroad pickups with the rail wheels. I jumped off the right side and he jumped off the left side. So he got chewed out and I did not. That was fair.

I see those two different personalities reflected in the postings here. Some would not think of MDing without asking permission first. Others assume it will probably be okay and then whine when they have problems.

You make some good points. However I am glad here the authorities must prove guilt...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk 2

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is probably why Mexican cops are among the most corrupt in the world rofl

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
You can't shoot people for trespassing in the states either. As far as I know it can only be in defense of life and property... as in stealing. And that's only is some states.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't bother trying to apologize to someone incapable of enlightenment. Forget him and and be thankful that you didn't have to face an assault charge for parting his hair with your shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread