PRIVATE PROPERTY...HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU.??

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We own property in wva and deal with trespassers all the time. We finally has to just stop wasting the money and time to keep them off since we live in ohio. We just rented the land out to a cattleman for a winter lot and he deals with it now. In that county there's major meth ops going on and had a few over the years. Lol they even turned our old hunting blind into a storage unit for the chens complete with shelves and k
Lights. We burnt it down with everything inside. One year the neighbors dumped 200 dead poached deer on the land to try and make us loose it cause we told them no hunting or taking the fallen trees. We were facing half a million in fines and losing everything. Only thing that saved us was ONE deer has a tag in its ear that was theirs. So I can see why people don't line trespassers. But there's always another way to skin a car as the old saying goes.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We own property in wva and deal with trespassers all the time. We finally has to just stop wasting the money and time to keep them off since we live in ohio. We just rented the land out to a cattleman for a winter lot and he deals with it now. In that county there's major meth ops going on and had a few over the years. Lol they even turned our old hunting blind into a storage unit for the chens complete with shelves and k
Lights. We burnt it down with everything inside. One year the neighbors dumped 200 dead poached deer on the land to try and make us loose it cause we told them no hunting or taking the fallen trees. We were facing half a million in fines and losing everything. Only thing that saved us was ONE deer has a tag in its ear that was theirs. So I can see why people don't line trespassers. But there's always another way to skin a car as the old saying goes.

YES THERE IS ....

Threaten to do physical harm to them.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but that's not how things have ever worked around these parts til the last 10 years when outsiders moved in and bought properties.

It,s their land and yes they can/should do with it as they please......after all it is theirs not anyone elses.

BUT THERES ABSOLUTELY NO NEED OF THREATENING VIOLENCE .

This will not be the only incident with this guy I,m sure.....hunting season has started and numerous locals have hunted the back land of that property for decades.

Perhaps a couple ..NO TRESPASSING SIGNS...would solve the problem....I can see some altercations turning very bad if he acts that way with certain folks carrying guns.

He coulda simply said....I,m the new owner here and I don,t want any hunting etc on this land...spread the word please and leave.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
YES THERE IS ....

Threaten to do physical harm to them.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but that's not how things have ever worked around these parts til the last 10 years when outsiders moved in and bought properties.

It,s their land and yes they can/should do with it as they please......after all it is theirs not anyone elses.

BUT THERES ABSOLUTELY NO NEED OF THREATENING VIOLENCE .

This will not be the only incident with this guy I,m sure.....hunting season has started and numerous locals have hunted the back land of that property for decades.

Perhaps a couple ..NO TRESPASSING SIGNS...would solve the problem....I can see some altercations turning very bad if he acts that way with certain folks carrying guns.

He coulda simply said....I,m the new owner here and I don,t want any hunting etc on this land...spread the word please and leave.

I agree he could have been more reasonable. But one doesn't need to Cary a gun to get into an altercation...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk 2

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had permission from an elderly lady and hunted on her property with good results. About my third hunt the lady drove up very apologetic and said her son was extremely mad that I was digging on their family property. The place was empty and I had hunted carefully not to make a mess.
The son was in the drivers seat giving me the stink eye the whole time.
These people were big time farmers and had lots of money but the thought of someone getting something out of that yard was too much for the son.I can understand that but it was his mothers property.
I gave the lady a couple of silver dimes I had found under the old close line and she said I might have lost these when she was a kid, well you can go to our rental property and dig the whole place up.
It turned out the rental was loaded with silver so it worked out well.Probably the best yard I have ever hunted. In the end It worked out nice and I dug about 70 coins there with about 20 being silver including my first silver half.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy threaten me one time with violence over hunting. I was working for a farmer and walked to his house to ask to hunt for the day. So I'm at the house knocking on the door when this guy comes flying down the driveway horn blazing, I just figured it was the farmer letting me know he's back. So they get close enough and it's the guy across the road, he jumps out pistol in hand and starts telling all kinds of stuff at me about what I'm doing there. Now I'm only 14 at the time and am scared to death. I just freeze, so the guy takes my bow and starts beating it on the ground well a kid or not your not going to treat me like that. So I grab my bow and dude won't let go, I start screaming for help and dudes cussing and telling the whole time, finally he just sticks the gun in my face and tells me he's going to kill me and toss me in the crap pit if I don't leave. Lol well I just left my bow and headed home. I get my mom and the cops go back get my bow and the cops do there thing, dude shows up at my house around midnight chucking rock and turfing our yard firing shots in the air. Finally they just arrest him and we press charges ect. Anyways my point of both my stories is people get to over protective of things and are to quick to threaten violence. The property in WVa was ours those meth heads and poachers have no right being on our land. The meth heads found a abandon property to cook on, and the neighbors were mad we didn't want them on there because they has tore stuff up in the past. Now my family has owned this land for more then 150 Years, we were there before most of the neighbors ever alive so were more local then they are. We've never threaten violence against them just to them to stay out.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most big land owners are A HOLES...PERIOD.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Most big land owners are A HOLES...PERIOD.

Federal govt is the biggest. Now you can't even dredge in some states...something to think about.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal govt is the biggest. Now you can't even dredge in some states...something to think about.

Your right.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think any MDist has a right to be po'ed about how a landowner reacts to trespassing. If you're on their land without any permission whatsoever, you should expect a confrontation is not going to be pretty. If it goes well, then you got lucky. If you end up getting threatened or say, having a gun waved in your face, well.. you rolled the dice and lost. Lick thy wounds and carry on. Considering how he reacted it might be a good idea to let this simmer for a month or so. Then go back to apologize. He'll probably be more level-headed at that point.

One thing that might help: Research his property (which I'm sure you've done already). Then when you go to apologize, give him a packet of information regarding the history of his land, the area around his domain, and your card. You might be able to peak his interest and at the very least, get him to understand that you aren't a greedy detectorist. You'll walk away with +karma points too!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I don't think any MDist has a right to be po'ed about how a landowner reacts to trespassing. If you're on their land without any permission whatsoever, you should expect a confrontation is not going to be pretty. If it goes well, then you got lucky. If you end up getting threatened or say, having a gun waved in your face, well.. you rolled the dice and lost. Lick thy wounds and carry on. Considering how he reacted it might be a good idea to let this simmer for a month or so. Then go back to apologize. He'll probably be more level-headed at that point.

One thing that might help: Research his property (which I'm sure you've done already). Then when you go to apologize, give him a packet of information regarding the history of his land, the area around his domain, and your card. You might be able to peak his interest and at the very least, get him to understand that you aren't a greedy detectorist. You'll walk away with +karma points too!

He might just view doing research on his property in an extremely bad light. I know that in itself would set me off really bad...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone waves a gun in my face and Ill do more than lick my wounds. You obviously haven't dealt with crazy land owners...go back and talk to an idiot that threatened you?...your living in a dream world of cotton candy and butterflies.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone waves a gun in my face and Ill do more than lick my wounds. You obviously haven't dealt with crazy land owners...go back and talk to an idiot that threatened you?...your living in a dream world of cotton candy and butterflies.

mmmm cotton candy. You're right though. I haven't ever dealt with crazy landowners. I also haven't ever detected on private property without the land owner's consent, getting myself in a situation where I would be confronted by said crazy landowner. I would just never ever do that. I'm guessing by your trollish response, this is a common practice for you. Good luck and be careful out there...

Last edited:

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He might just view doing research on his property in an extremely bad light. I know that in itself would set me off really bad...

Of course he could. He could invite you in then rape you. He could also be a nice guy and understanding, if you approach him in the right medium. Ya just never know. But if the property is worth the hassle, then i'd say try it. if its not worth it, then obviously dont.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mmmm cotton candy. You're right though. I haven't ever dealt with crazy landowners. I also haven't ever detected on private property without the land owner's consent, getting myself in a situation where I would be confronted by said crazy landowner. I would just never ever do that. I'm guessing by your trollish response, this is a common practice for you. Good luck and be careful out there...
You guessed wrong and at least you admitted you don't know what your talking about...for that I commend you.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guessed wrong and at least you admitted you don't know what your talking about...for that I commend you.

I have experienced similar situations in my profession, and just offered my opinion on the matter. Here's a gold metal for disagreeing with my opinion. You can sleep better tonight good sir!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...

This has created quite the response. !!!

Is good to have this discussion.....

I used to hunt a lot..deer hunting....rabbit hunting with a hound...pheasant hunting with a dog.

I hunted ever since I was old enough to carry a gun with my father......put in about 25 years of hunting.

Never once did I ever get run out or have some guy threaten physical violence and froth at the mouth.

I haven,t hunted for last 9 years...as been too busy during hunting season with work.

Fast forward to this year...I decided to get a metal detector....find stuff instead of kill stuff.!!!!

I lasted 5 months before getting run off and verbally abused......ok no problem...was my fault for not asking .!!!

All the people in the -old neighbourhood- ask me what I,m finding when they see me...they are really curious and think its a great hobby.!!

It is a great hobby...and is just that...a hobby. A hobby is something we do to relax and get away from the everyday life ..its a great stress releaser.

Hobbies are never intended to do harm onto others or receive harm.

Would I like someone going on my land digging it up or hunting....yes and no.

NO--if they were in my back yard by my house.

YES--- If they were in the back of my property outta site and outta gunshot range of my house etc.

SOOOOOOOOOOO.......I guess it boils down to ..OUTTA SITE...OUTTA MIND ...for me. The visual aspect of things puts people into a different mindset.

If the hunter asked for permission ..then I would let him hunt close to my house as long as it was safe. If I couldn,t see him I just wouldn,t care cause I know people hunt on my land.

If I confronted a hunter that I didn,t want there....I would let him know that I would appreciate him asking next time and tell him to leave.

Would I threaten them with violence ????....NO WAY !!!

We grow up from kids to adults and learn to fit-in in society. Being rational is part of how we get along with everyone in the world and how the civilized world keeps from slipping into civil war.

Just what evil things do people think MDers are doing. 99% of people are never gonna stick a shovel in the ground to find a musket ball or a coin....FACT.

So is it that peole can,t stand the idea of someone having a little bit of relaxing fun while they are stressed out so bad from everyday life that they think its unfair and freak out ?

The world is so stressed to the point that people have forgotten how to have fun and become just plain miserable to the point that they have forgotten how to be civil to others.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have experienced similar situations in my profession, and just offered my opinion on the matter. Here's a gold metal for disagreeing with my opinion. You can sleep better tonight good sir!
Its all good...were just giving our opinions...no hard feelings...I just couldn't believe you think its ok to have a gun pointed at you.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all good...were just giving our opinions...no hard feelings...I just couldn't believe you think its ok to have a gun pointed at you.

Maybe I didn't articulate myself correctly. Sorry about that buddy. I personally don't think it's ok to have a gun waved in anyone's face. I stated that phrase because I know some crazy ass landowners around here have been known to do that with trespassers (including some of my crazy uncles lol!). By wave in face, I don't mean they pointed the gun at their head hahah.. just that they carry their weapon in their hand or arms as "insurance" and shock value for the trespasser to gtfo. My fault for crappy articulation. It has happened mostly in hunting season, where the wrongdoer will be carrying a firearm so you gotta be careful and protect yourself as a landowner. I just put myself in the landowner's shoes. If I came over my hill and saw a couple guys on my land digging around, I'd be angry but I would also be very cautious. People are crazy out there. I wouldn't take any chances. Would I personally carry a firearm when confronting a MDist? Na.. but that's only because I'm knowledgeable on the subject so I understand that 99% of MDists are harmless. But a landowner who is nutty and uninformed on the subject may view it differently. I honestly do believe if approached in the right fashion, even grumpy landowners will soften up. Not all of course! If the site is worth digging (finding consistent gold, silver, etc...) I would totally knock on his door to apologize (and with package/gift) after some time has passed. It would be worth it to me to try. But maybe I'm just a crazy land-user! haha If I get shot in the next 6 months, you'll know why :D Cheers bro! no hard feelings here either.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I didn't articulate myself correctly. Sorry about that buddy. I personally don't think it's ok to have a gun waved in anyone's face. I stated that phrase because I know some crazy ass landowners around here have been known to do that with trespassers (including some of my crazy uncles lol!). By wave in face, I don't mean they pointed the gun at their head hahah.. just that they carry their weapon in their hand or arms as "insurance" and shock value for the trespasser to gtfo. My fault for crappy articulation. It has happened mostly in hunting season, where the wrongdoer will be carrying a firearm so you gotta be careful and protect yourself as a landowner. I just put myself in the landowner's shoes. If I came over my hill and saw a couple guys on my land digging around, I'd be angry but I would also be very cautious. People are crazy out there. I wouldn't take any chances. Would I personally carry a firearm when confronting a MDist? Na.. but that's only because I'm knowledgeable on the subject so I understand that 99% of MDists are harmless. But a landowner who is nutty and uninformed on the subject may view it differently. I honestly do believe if approached in the right fashion, even grumpy landowners will soften up. Not all of course! If the site is worth digging (finding consistent gold, silver, etc...) I would totally knock on his door to apologize (and with package/gift) after some time has passed. It would be worth it to me to try. But maybe I'm just a crazy land-user! haha If I get shot in the next 6 months, you'll know why :D Cheers bro! no hard feelings here either.
Yeah, if you have permission to be on the land, you wont have any problems to begin with...so always have permission or expect trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread