--- Prohibition Era Cache ---

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Well, it's been four days and I'm still torn up over not finding a cache I've been pursuing for 3 years now.... :'( The loot in question involved a deserted island here in the bay area accessible only by boat --- in my case a kayak. According to my lead info it was a small cache put down by some guys involved in a 1927 robbery (money & jewelry). Buried supposedly under a rare fruit tree with a coiled snake carved in it. I was sure I'd found the right tree although the only coiled snake I saw had diamonds on his back and raised his head and stuck out his tongue when I almost stepped on him!!! Fortunately, he didn't take offense and laid still as I backed carefully away from him!
The trip out took me 2 hours of hectic paddling to complete and I tore my trusty inflatable COLEMAN kayak on something in the low tide. Needless to say, I had a waterlogged ride the rest of the way there and on the way back.... It took me only an hour and a half coming back because this time I was with the tide. Despite using a waterproof case, my detector took on some salt water in the housing and has been acting a little funky since. I'd just gotten a new 10" search coil to increase my odds too. Mind you this is after I bought a 2-box detector 3 years ago that proved useless out there because of the surrounding salt water. Couldn't even tune the _____' thing!
I was feeling when I headed out there Wednesday morning that after 3 years of pursuit: "Today is the day!" I spent 3 hours detecting around the tree in question with only junk metal results. I really covered it and the surrounding area thoroughly too. I know we all like to hear about successful finds on this site complete with pictures, but I just had to share this unsuccessful quest w/ some folks I know can appreciate and understand it.... /b] I think my days as a "commercial archaeologist" are over now. From here on out (unless I get another rock-solid lead) my time will be spent only detecting places I can get to by car! Maybe clad ain't so bad.... Nonetheless, I'm glad I stuck with it despite the odds and disappointments over the last 3 years.
HH
-spyguy

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
It's still a great story even thought you didn't find anything. If you're not going to pursue it any further, then maybe you should post the whole story for everyone. We can all learn from each other, maybe your story will help someone else on TNet.

K

Kentucky Kache

Jungle hacking and giant snakes don't deter true cache hunters. ;D

Slain

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
You say there's metal junk on this island, so that means people used to visit the place. I would try finding where these people used to land their boats way back when. Then I would try searching areas a genius crook would likely hide his loot (probably halfway across the island from the boat landing or on the side of the island farthest from the boat landing). If the ground isn't too hard, maybe a metal probe would work better than a detector. [Key up spooky music] the loot might be hidden in milk bottles or something that's hard to MD.

Good luck if you keep on searching for this cache.

S

sailrunner

Dont give up now, You may be closer to the loot than you think. Maybe get a trolling motor to ease the paddling. Good luck on your quests.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, don't give up friend!! I know that whole thing sucks and is a disappointment, but it can't be the end. There's far too many islands back home for me to be convinced that there's nothing on any of them! As far as the waterproofing, I was thinking about investing into a nice Pelican case for mine and the coils. I've recently acquired a White's IDX Pro from an awesome friend off of these forums. The best feature on it is that it has a discrimination switch for "black sand", which also works well for beach sand and other heavy mineralized areas (i.e. the islands). I'm looking forward to using it back home a little during the 2 1/2 weeks that I'll be home over Christmas. Don't know what you'll be doing then, but maybe we can get together? Don't give up. Seriously. :) Our state has so much potential for treasure, and not just out in the Gulf and deep in the Atlantic. I'd certainly give anything for more free time.

I know I found a pretty cool relic up here in Missouri a few weeks back. It was a bullet case from an old Winchester Westerner gun that was made back in the 1860's!! And I found it in the most unlikely of places... a school yard/park. I'm pretty confident it had been buried there since it was dispensed out of the rifle that shot it. Anyway, don't let the lack of finds get to you. You haven't wasted your time. Keep your chin up!!! ;D

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread