Triangular Rock; A Marker?

Slain

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hi, I found these three rocks sitting on the excavated ledge of a rock out crop about 50 feet above a washout. There are no carvings (Spanish or otherwise) in the rock anywhere around & I'm wondering if the triangular rock sitting upright could be a pointer left by an outlaw or prospector to a hidden cache up a above.

I removed the rocks (the up right rock was wedged into the rock face so hard a piece broke off upon removal), dug up a hole 2 feet deep where the rocks had been, and ran my MD around in the hole but didn't find anything metallic.

That's my hat is laying there for scale & that brown thing behind it is a chunk of rotten wood.

2woas69.jpg

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Slain,

Can you put them back the exact way they were before you moved them?

If so I would recommend it.
Things like this distress me.
What you need to do next time is get a good photo and post it, ask questions.
these are pointers not markers.
If you move them you ruin the trail they show.
If they are Spanish that could seriously destroy any chance for you or anyone else to find anything at all.

There are Many folks on TN who do nothing else but follow these kind of signs, and would not only be happy to help you in your search but would never try to take anything from you.

Jeesh.
Next time ask for help.

OD

OP
OP
S

Slain

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Ok, I'll put the rocks back the way I found them. I didn't think the site could having anything to do with the old Spaniards since there are no carvings of any kind on the rock out cropping & I wanted to make sure rocks weren't there as a grave marker for somebody's pet hamster or something.

What do you make of the cliff face above the triangular rocks I found?

4t8pp0.jpg

This picture shows a crevasse that's about a half a foot wide running up above the triangular rocks.

350m5ci.jpg

This picture shows an area above the crevass.

jreats.jpg

Here's another part of the cliff face near where the crevasse starts.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
I would run a double box detector around on those shelfs; one that will run in the 75khz range for finding hollows. I've posted this note before elsewhere, but here goes something to try: The inset stone could be an Apex (corner 1). Of the other two stones, the one furthest away from the Apex will be corner 3. Stand at 3 and aim at corner 2. Now wing out away from this site line, at an additional 5 degrees away from your aim at 2, on a new imaginary line and picture a bank shot to one more marker below and beyond. Bounce off of it finishing the path in the shape of a 7. Might be a capped tunnel or a hidden shaft in the middle of a trail............Otherwise, stand at the Apex, sight center between the other two corners and look below for a boulder that stands out. Doublebox it as these are usually 3 feet deep. The colors you are in look sweet. Twisted

OP
OP
S

Slain

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Here's a shot some rocks directly in front of ledge where the triangular rock was standing.

kechs5.jpg

I don't have access to, or even know what a 2-box rig looks like, so I can't look for an entrance shaft or underground chamber that way. I'm kind of doubtful there could be a Spanish treasure cache at this site because somebody excavated a lot rock here & they didn't try to hide the fact. All the rock in this out crop is very cracked & rotten (I could actually break off chucks of stone with my fingers). IMHO it would be way to dangerous to go tearing into this formation trying to find a secret entrance.

ETA yeah, there's some pretty looking country around here. There's a spot a few miles from this place that looks like small version of Bryce Canyon. Why the government never established camp grounds & stuff up in this area puzzles me.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Slain,
About the time you think the Spanish could never have been where you are they will prove you wrong.
The last two photos in your post are Spanish trail markers.
The snake points toward the danger and warns of perilous travel ahead, it could have been anything from hostile natives to something even more than that.
The last photo is a sight marker that will show the next set of trail signs or monuments. sight through it from both sides, when you find the sign it most likely will be a very subtle one. Watch very carefully for a natural thing in a very unnatural place or position,

Also note, When looking at the window does that large leaning stone look like a serpents headfrom one side and nothing from the other? if so approach from the serpent head side as the trail will be sighted from that sideand this will be a 'one way' trail whether you are going in or out is yet to be determined. If the markers are clearly evident as you travel in both directions the trail would have been used for two way travel.

Feel free to ask questions anytime.

Twisted fork is a good guy and very helpfull as well.

What he is trying to tell you is that sometimes in their moving around they left deposits to be picked up later. Precious metals were treasured but they are very heavy and cumbersome when movement was needed.
these stashes were made all over and marked for easy recovery. a two box detector will be of good service to you when looking as they used to put the caches pretty deep sometimes. Some of the ones I have seen were as deep as six feet. Others can be as close to the surface as five or six inches. in several cases weather took the soil off of the surface and left the cache right on top.

I'm just trying to explain and not be condescending. If you aren't familiar with Spanish signs and symbols, sometimes a little coaching is all that is needed to get you headed in the right direction.

Welcome to TN,
Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Old Dog

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted Fork And Old Dog You Guys are "Excellent". What you both have just written clears up allot of unanswered questions for me. Twisted fork I will be going out to my site for a week. I will P.M. you when I get back with more pictures and more questions. When I'm standing at the top of the 20' Ft hill on the pointer rock and looking down I see a rock sticking out approximately one foot out of the ground at the base of this hill. This rock is pointy and looks like someone deliberately placed it sticking out of the ground. The window that Old dog describes is to the right of the pointer if I'm standing on it (pointer). You're right . No marks on these rocks what so ever. The rocks are the Markers!!! An old smelter is about 50 yards from this location. I'm scared to kneel on the ground and look through the window in the direction the pointer is pointing. This whole hill is littered with large rocks and boulders and is infested with ugly, stinky Rattlesnakes. Had to Kill a big one last month. I know they say it's bad Karma But, I don't think it's worse than getting bit in the face by one of these unholy creatures. Thanks for all your HELP guys.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Don't feel bad about the viper Victorio, it's you or them. The happy go lucky characters that stick up for them deserve to get bit. Maybe one of their kids or the old lady perhaps. I have no mercy for them. Twisted

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Victorio,

I have windows that I have had to climb up to see through ans a couple that I have had to put my face directly on the ground to sight through. Some of the windows are large enough to stand in and some are about an inch square.
But they all show something that would be pretty hard to see if the window doesn't frame it.
Give me an email and I'll send a photo or two or more for comparison.

OD

OP
OP
S

Slain

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2007
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I'm sorry if I sounded flippant about the two box detector thing. I'm an unemployed service worker who doesn't have the means to go out & buy expensive detecting equipment & stuff. I thought one of the rock formations looked like a turtle's head, but there are so many weird rock formations in this area it's hard to tell if someone actually carved the rock to look something.

I went back today & returned the triangular rocks to their former resting place. I also hiked around the side of mesa where this rock outcrop stands looking for a easy way to get up top...Man, this mesa is mountain climber's nightmare. Every likely avenue for climbing up on the mesa (without using a rope & pitons) either has a big boulder or a huge piece of cracked rock perched over it. I'm starting to wonder if this mesa could've been some kind of Native American fortress or something.

Anyway here's a picture of a small valley that starts just beside the mesa. At the end of the valley there's a rock (at least a mile away) that has a a carving that looks like a Christian cross to me. Through binoculars I can see the vertical bar of the cross is made up of long gouges in the rock & the horizontal bar looks a chipped off corner of rock. (That light square in the picture is some defect of the camera lens.)

2uei882.jpg

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Slain,

No need to feel bad, a two box is recommended ... only because the normal detector doesn't seek as deeply as a two box.
I don't own a two box either. My partner does though.,
and you are right they are expensive.

Your last photo shows you are definitely on a trail, try getting a little closer so you can pick up the subtle clues that are going to be more evident when you photograph. too much background will give people too many physical clues to your location.
I am still not sure that you are going or coming on this one yet.
get a couple shots of the signs from several angles and look for small pointers that are meant to guide and keep you on track as you look for the bigger monuments. things like what you dug up when you started. look at the little things the trail pointers actually point so pay attention and have a good time.
Study your back trail...
Watch to see if the trail is more evident as you look back. If you are following a reverse trail, which direction are you going. you want to be able to determine whether you are heading to a location of value or away from it.
the only reason to reverse a trail is to find the source of it. this only makes sense if you have followed it conclusively to a standstill at one end with negative results.

Hope this helps you out
Good hunting

Old Dog

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"a two box detector will be of good service to you when looking as they used to put the caches pretty deep sometimes".

Olddog,I read somewhere in this forum that if a treasure is 15 " in a Treasure room a two box metal detector will not work due to the reason that gold or silver has to be in direct contact with the soil. Is this true. If so, will a TM808 detect alert on the treasureroom cavity (cave) instead of the gold itself.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Victorio,

It is recommended that when you ground balance the 808 you are not in the area where your transportation is located. for the simple reason that it will pick up your car if you stand too close. when you think about it the metal of your vehicle is not in contact with the ground, the tires are but not the metal.
Try it, get a good ground balance and walk toward the car, then turn your back to it and the rear loop will pick it up quick.
Don't forget that the rear loop works too.
If there is metal in the void it will be sitting on something that is in contact with the ground anyway. Even of there is a void above the metal there usually isn't one below it.

Thom

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic
Hey Slain,
Is that your Firearm is Post 4?
Maybe that's the treasure your window is looking to. ;)

The scenery is awesome wish i had some like that where i am, even if their wasn't any treasure to be found

Here's a site that may be of some use deciphering some of those trail markers.
http://www.treasurehuntersuniversity.com/turtle.html

All the best.
Matt

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. Olddog, The Rattlers should now be Dreaming. I have a window I need to look through. Can You please point out what are some things I need to be looking for when I look through this window. I will be going out in a couple of days. You are right this one window I will have to lay on the ground to look through it. The window is only about 6 " by 6" inches.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Look for small but subtle clues,
a finger or sliver of rock sticking out of a crack.
Maybe a small triangular stone you might have overlooked if it weren't framed by the window.
As you look through the window,
look at the window itself,
there may be a small pointer or gunsight built into the window,
this will point out one of maybe a hundred pointers.
That is the one to follow.

These are some of the things to consider when looking through a window.
Send me a clear photo of what you see when you look through it ...
tell me what you think. I'll be happy to help

Thom
OD

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread