OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not familiar with this neck of the woods Marshall. I take by your write up, this is long unclaimed stretch of river, open to prospecting.

Mike

It is up to the prospector to check land status.. And the responsibility lies with them alone..

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll help you out Mike. :thumbsup:

From Mumford Bar to just above Humbug is all Wild River designation inside the Tahoe National Forest.

From just above Humbug creek and about halfway to Euchre Bar is a mix of private property and mining claims. The private property is patented lode claims and the claims upstream on Humbug and in the nearby hills are a mix of lode and placer.

Once at Euchre bar the area upstream on the North Fork of the North Fork of the American is mostly all claimed. There is a small section of the gorge a few miles upstream that isn't claimed the last time I checked but I'm guessing it's pretty tough to mine in there.

From Euchre Bar down to just before Green Valley is National Forest Wild River. Around Green Valley is mostly private land. After that for about two miles of river through and below Giant Gap there is BLM managed Wild River. After that it's a complex mix of private lands, BLM managed, mining claims and Wild River until you get well past Iowa Hill. After that it's a clear run through BLM managed lands until the bend above Mineral Bar when it's claimed down through the campground and bridge. It's not a mineralized area before Mineral Bar but it does have some small placer deposits in the river.

That's just a sketch of the land status along that stretch of the river. As Marshall accurately pointed out you will need to do your own research before you prospect. I'm real sure you already knew that but it never hurts to remind the new prospectors. Then again it doesn't hurt to help out all prospectors by sharing information about what the facts on prospecting status are. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, nice pan of gold Marshall. For a fast trip, it looks like you passed through some good ground.

You are absolutely right Marshall. To be honest I was being a little bit lazy, looking for some easy information. I've been pulling a pretty heavy plow lately and I'm just getting tired I guess. I do have a lot of vacation time built up though and I'm going to use quite a bit this summer.

Thank you Barry, you are right, I do know investigation of land status and ownership is not only crucial, but honorable, before removing minerals/gold. Also, thank you for the great write up of the area of interest.

All the best,
Mike

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great video and beautiful country, can't think of any other place to spend your time. gotta watch it a couple of times, thanks

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3:55. I spy, with my little eye.. lol

kabah088

Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Journal there Mr Marshall and even better gold. If only i could get a fraction of that in a year!

I cant help but admire your hand dredge. Did you build it yourself and where did you find that slip/threaded elbow fitting that threads onto a bottle? Very effective looking design.

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wind's in the east, mist comin' in.
Like something is brewin' about to begin
Can't put me finger on what lies in store
But I feel what's to happen, all happened before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my small tribute to my Gold Pan. put to water for the last time in July 2015..

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love the guitar playing music on that short video. Some nice specs of gold in the rubber mat, too.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And I agree, you do make it look easy--and you get some very nice looking gold. What you showed in the last video would make my day; heck it would make my month!

Again, liked the music you added to this one, too. Always enjoy your vids.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's better,the gold you find or your videos? I can't decide! Love them both.

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So all has been good. Just been doin what I do..

Last edited:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont blame ya on tryin to stay on the DL, unfortunately posts are often scruitinized on this forum. Glad to see ya still gettin the gold man, I was wondering... I've been doing pretty well sniping this year, thanks for all of the videos and advice. Sniping is by far my favorite form of prospecting. Especially when it gets hot, there's nothing better than floating around looking for gold. Biggest piece so far is just .3 gram...been averaging .8-1 gram/day, still searchin for that nugget!! Anyway, hope all is well man!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the most recent video, is that low water for the year or about average? gotta be nice to stand instead of float every now and then.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you are still at it, we tryed to get up to hang out with youall but our dig wasnt much more than a big prospect and didnt give us enough to make the trip.

would of been nice to catch a shady rest with a cool beach, but its the desert mining and the gold pays our way, maybe next summer.
GT.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread