PROVEN TO MYSELF THE BEALE TREASURE IS A STORY MADE UP

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
As has been mentioned time and again by Bigscoop on these threads, solutions can be manipulated to achieve whatever the "decoder" expects is written in C1 &C3.

Beale researcher, Brad Andrews, put it this way:
"reason for doubting these other theories is simply because of the way the supporting information has been compiled...first a pet theory is formed, then the evidence will be arranged and likewise presented so that it supports the pet theory".

If one has convinced himself that a Captain Thomas Beale is the Thomas J Beale of the job pamphlet, he will find a Captain Thomas Beale in his decoded cipher.

...and yes, Crypto, I agree that we will not see Laf's decoding for some time to come, if ever.

Bad news, I did not go looking for a Thomas Beale until after I decoded the cipher that spoke his name . Just look at the first few post I ever did here on this site .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad news, I did not go looking for a Thomas Beale until after I decoded the cipher that spoke his name . Just look at the first few post I ever did here on this site .

It's perception and expectations, the planting of the seed, the name of the main character in the narration, only natural that people would look for this name to show up somewhere in the cipher, generally even expected.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen Jean's decoding and I can tell you just as he did, it has a Captain Thomas Beale in it. You will not see it I'm sure for some time to come.
Is his decoded message straight forward fluid phrasing as the provided DOI "solved" C2, or is it randomly disjointed phrasing like the "epitaph" solution he claims was in C1?

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
By the same token, there's no such connecting evidence that the pamphlet story was about a "Captain Beale of a militia." Thus more "it can be anything anyone desires it to be." A lot of theories out there, yet still nothing to directly connect any of them to the details offered in the narration. It's this absence that makes all of these various theories possible.

After leaving St. Louis we were advised by our guide to form a regular military organization, with a captain

This was agreed to, and each member of the party bound himself by a solemn obligation to obey at all times, the orders of their captain, or, in the event of refusal, to leave the company at once.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is his decoded message straight forward fluid phrasing as the provided DOI "solved" C2, or is it randomly disjointed phrasing like the "epitaph" solution he claims was in C1?

He will only be able to repeat what has become public knowledge by a certain date ! Like 100 numbers cover the epitaph and so on .

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1841, Poe published "A Few Words On Secret Writing" which influenced the military cryptographers of that time period, and , those of the Confederacy, including CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin.
During the War of Northern Aggression, many Southerners buried their valuable possessions in iron cooking pots to keep them from Yankee looters- there are many legends concerning lost Confederate gold buried in iron pots.
Then there was the story about the hidden treasure of Robert O Willis that appeared in the April 16,1879 Lynchburg Virginian, the newspaper where Beale pamphlet printer, John William Sherman, was sub-editor.
Willis placed $65,000 of gold, silver, and jewelry in iron pots and hid them in a Kentucky cave.
The description of Willis's discovered treasure does have a very familiar ring to it.
There was no reason to publish a pirate treasure story in 1885 Virginia with all the tales of the lost Confederate treasury, which was composed of gold and silver bullion and specie and jewelry donated by Southern ladies for the cause.
That gave rise to the theory that the Beale Papers was a cover story for the lost Confederate gold that disappeared in May 1865 from Danville, Virginia.
James Beverly Ward's, copyright holder and publisher of the Beale Papers, first cousin, CSA Major Edward S Hutter received a Confederate code book from Benjamin in Danville during that month of May.
Now there in NO mention of New Orleans or Louisiana in the Beale Papers, that connection is pure speculation based on the Thomas Beale who fled there from Virginia after a duel with James Beverly Risqué, Ward's grandfather.
No one has ever established if this Beale or any Beale is the Beale character of that dime novel pamphlet...
...and there is a major difference between a historical document and an ephemeral dime novel job pamphlet that sold for 50 cents.

I have just went thru the whole Gold Bug again looking for some kind of a reference connection to or from the Beale Papers . There are only two possibilities that I have found that can even be said that are close . Out of all the words it is not likely that the Beale papers ever came from this fictional story . What a joke, see what I mean this is the whole story on voice .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After leaving St. Louis we were advised by our guide to form a regular military organization, with a captain

This was agreed to, and each member of the party bound himself by a solemn obligation to obey at all times, the orders of their captain, or, in the event of refusal, to leave the company at once.

The point being, there is absolutely nothing that can "validate" the charges you just posted, or that there ever was a party, a Captain Thomas Beale, etc., etc. All we have is the narration and those claims from a writer who, in the end, even disconnected himself from the story being told. What you posted isn't evidence, or validation, they are only claims of such activity. The world is full of publications with fictitious claims and charges and details, etc.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Using the original source (THE BEALE PAPERS) as proof that the story contained in the narrative text is true, is nothing but pretzel logic that folds in upon itself.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just went thru the whole Gold Bug again looking for some kind of a reference connection to or from the Beale Papers . There are only two possibilities that I have found that can even be said that are close . Out of all the words it is not likely that the Beale papers ever came from this fictional story . What a joke ...
Laf, Poe's "The Gold Bug" influenced the unnamed author to create a similar adventure treasure story. but with a new twist, the reader can now become part of the story and play along, joining in the adventure.
No joke, as you have clearly joined the unnamed author's play along adventure.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Laf, Poe's "The Gold Bug" influenced the unnamed author to create a similar adventure treasure story. but with a new twist, the reader can now become part of the story and play along, joining in the adventure.
No joke, as you have clearly joined the unnamed author's play along adventure.

That would be the same as saying Poe influenced Shakespeare, when it is most evident Poe lived in Richmond at the same time the two men came back to Richmond from out west with Beale . The influence here would be from the families of the two men that were with Beale talking about what adventure these men were on . John Allen and his wife took care of Poe in Richmond, VA until he left for UV in 1827 . Poe was in Richmond, VA 1811-1827 The Gold Bug could be seen as proof the Beale adventure is real .

"It was in the month of January, 1820, while keeping the Washington Hotel, that I first saw and became acquainted with Beale. In company with two others, he came to my house seeking entertainment for himself and friends. Being assured of a comfortable provision for themselves and their horses, Beale stated his intention of remaining for the winter, should nothing occur to alter his plans, but that the gentlemen accompanying him would leave in a few days for Richmond, near which place they resided, and that they were anxious to reach their homes,

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is obvious that you do see or understand that by reading Poe's THE GOLD BUG influenced the Beale unnamed author to construct an adventure treasure story, but this time with the added join in and play along ciphers, but then again, you have joined in as many before you, and are playing along with this fictional treasure story that Ward published in 1885, believing that the game is worth the candle.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It is obvious that you do see or understand that by reading Poe's THE GOLD BUG influenced the Beale unnamed author to construct an adventure treasure story, but this time with the added join in and play along ciphers, but then again, you have joined in as many before you, and are playing along with this fictional treasure story that Ward published in 1885, believing that the game is worth the candle.

I am very familiar with the Poe's Gold Bug . And I find it very different then what is in the Beale Papers . I do see were if Poe had even the slightest knowledeg of the Beale Story, it would account for the idea of a Treasure and that is about all I see with The Gold Bug . Interesting that Captain Kidd was used in the gold bug who died in 1701 one hundred and forty two years later Poe uses him in his fictional short .

To say that Poe had something to do with the Beale Papers is about 3.5% possible . To say that Poe was influence by someone who knew of the Beale Expedition in 1817-1822 is about a 33% possibility . Sorry I just don't see it your way .

What other work do you see that is a possibility other than The Gold Bug ?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Laf, are you that obtuse to misconstrue what I posted concerning that Poe's work influenced the unnamed author to create a play along adventure treasure story ?
...and I never said that Poe was influenced by a Beale Expedition ,especially considering that it never happened outside of the 1885 dime novel pamphlet written 36 years after his death.
As for other works that influenced and/or were used to "borrow" source material by the unnamed author to create the 1885 Beale Papers, those all have been mentioned on other TN Beale threads, as you are well aware.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Laf, are you that obtuse to misconstrue what I posted concerning that Poe's work influenced the unnamed author to create a play along adventure treasure story ?
...and I never said that Poe was influenced by a Beale Expedition ,especially considering that it never happened outside of the 1885 dime novel pamphlet written 36 years after his death.
As for other works that influenced and/or were used to "borrow" source material by the unnamed author to create the 1885 Beale Papers, those all have been mentioned on other TN Beale threads, as you are well aware.

Pick up your glasses off your chest that hang by a sting and reread what I posted . You have alluded the The Beale Pamphlet was influenced be Poe's work . I say NAY, there is a 30% more chance that Poe's has known of the Beale adventure and adapted it to his work .

Time line

1820 Beale shows up at Morriss's house, the two that were with Beale would go in a few days for Richmond, near which place they resided .
1811 Poe's is adopted by John Allen and his wife who live in Richmond, VA .
1822 last time Beale is seen by Morriss
1820 Poe would be 9-10 years old
1822 Poe would be 11-12 years old

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Who would have known about a fictional Beale Expedition during the time period before the 1885 job pamphlet publication?
This current speculation can only stand if and only if you can produce documentation that the Beale Expedition was known and discussed before Ward's published copy was distributed in Lynchburg.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would have known about a fictional Beale Expedition during the time period before the 1885 job pamphlet publication?
This current speculation can only stand if and only if you can produce documentation that the Beale Expedition was known and discussed before Ward's published copy was distributed in Lynchburg.

Did he really just say something that ignorant, what kind of person can not understand Poe would have been influenced by just the smallest knowledge of the 1817-1822 Beale party from the same city in Richmond. Jean is perfectly correct!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Did he really just say something that ignorant, what kind of person can not understand Poe would have been influenced by just the smallest knowledge of the 1817-1822 Beale party from the same city in Richmond. Jean is perfectly correct!
And... BANNED.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Pick up your glasses off your chest that hang by a sting and reread what I posted . You have alluded the The Beale Pamphlet was influenced be Poe's work . I say NAY, there is a 30% more chance that Poe's has known of the Beale adventure and adapted it to his work .

Time line

1820 Beale shows up at Morriss's house, the two that were with Beale would go in a few days for Richmond, near which place they resided .
1811 Poe's is adopted by John Allen and his wife who live in Richmond, VA .
1822 last time Beale is seen by Morriss
1820 Poe would be 9-10 years old
1822 Poe would be 11-12 years old
This is a prime example on how false theories begin.
Thanx, Laf!
Carry on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions