Upvote 0

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as your local authorities havnt shut the beach down I see absolutely no legal or ethical problems. After a storm is usually the best time to detect!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No issues, now if someone's home is destroyed and your looting that is different story...

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No issues, now if someone's home is destroyed and your looting that is different story...

Ya know, I hadn't thought about that before, but, this would be a way to endear our hobby to some. By offering our services to help find people's stuff FOR them! Help to recover things for any homeowner who wants the help.

Any thoughts?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably just another dumb question but, is it legally or maybe morally wrong to hunt a beach right after an event such as "Sandy"?

What with so many losing so much.

Just curious.

Thanks.

HH!

Only your morals can tell you that. I know the answer.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only your morals can tell you that. I know the answer.

Yep, that's sort of what I was going for, I know too. Each can only know their own.

I guess, I was thinking about the hobby as a whole. If, after a major storm like this goes through and the next day you see all these eager "ants" all over the beaches looking for stuff. It MIGHT be perceived by the people who don't know this hobby as just those damned "Boom Baby!" scavengers out to take advantage of those who've lost all their worldly possessions, Ya know?

Maybe some of the clubs could organize to try and help people find some of their stuff? I don't know, just being too sensitive I suppose.

Worth thinking about, I think.

Thanks for your kind and considered response.

HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 6+ years of beach hunting here in Florida, never had a single person express that to me or anyone one I know after a storm... We are not hunting their property, we are hunting the public beaches....

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 6+ years of beach hunting here in Florida, never had a single person express that to me or anyone one I know after a storm... We are not hunting their property, we are hunting the public beaches....

I understand, and in all my 30 years of off and on hunting, I haven't either. Just a bit of altruistic wandering I guess. In all those years, most of the expressions I see on people's faces when they notice what I'm doing is one of bemusement, annoyance, curiosity, disdain or indifference. Some have even thrown hands full of pennies to see if the poor beggar would pick them up. LOL (which I do. Can't leave that litter laying there now can I? ;) ).

Funny, public places seem to be for everyone, but a sad old man wandering around with a metal detector in hand. Oh well. ;)

To each their own.

Thanks for making this a nice place to visit.

HH!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be out there at first light looking for big washouts down to the clay nd be prepared to find lotsa goodies and okd ones at that! Remember it's just another day at the beach detecting no different.Let this be a lesson to all about the "value" of waterfront property if you didn't learn it the last 10-20 times.....

Diggerjohn

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably just another dumb question but, is it legally or maybe morally wrong to hunt a beach right after an event such as "Sandy"?

What with so many losing so much.

Just curious.

Thanks.

HH!

Go for it. I am.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO you really believe peoples jewelry and money (of all things) would wash up on every beach in town?
More like a bunch of trash if anything.
This place, including the beaches are going to be a huge mess.
With waves eroding out sand and dirt, the heavy things will be stirred up.
There will be plenty of good OLD finds from this storm.
Too bad it has to be like that, but that's nature!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I applaud your sensitivity! If I were living close to the affected shorelines, and as I'm retired, I'd divide my time between detecting the stirred-up beaches and volunteering to help people displaced by the storms. I'm sure all kinds of help will be needed! And if I detected anything highly valuable during this period, I'd share the profits with a local Red Cross, Salvation Army, Scouts or other helpful group. Like others have already mentioned, you may find or detect some totally excellent vintage items or older coins after such a huge storm! HH Andi

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now, I have friends on Long Island that have no power, serious property damage, and two have actually LOST their homes at out Breezy Point. All the State and Town beaches are closed, but that won't stop the locals that can actually get to the beaches. There are so many trees down, and complete roadways flooded that I can't actually get to a beach - which doesn't matter at this point because I'll be helping neighbors and friends clean up for the next couple of days.

Since I'm a huge believer in Karma, and you only find what you are destined to find, I know I'll do well when I do get out to the Island. Great finds will be made over the next month, and hopefully I will make a few. Thank you Lord for getting me and my family and friends through this with our lives!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Right now, I have friends on Long Island that have no power, serious property damage, and two have actually LOST their homes at out Breezy Point. All the State and Town beaches are closed, but that won't stop the locals that can actually get to the beaches. There are so many trees down, and complete roadways flooded that I can't actually get to a beach - which doesn't matter at this point because I'll be helping neighbors and friends clean up for the next couple of days.

Since I'm a huge believer in Karma, and you only find what you are destined to find, I know I'll do well when I do get out to the Island. Great finds will be made over the next month, and hopefully I will make a few. Thank you Lord for getting me and my family and friends through this with our lives!

I wholeheartedly agree!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be different if someones belongings blew on the beach and you took them right in front of them..

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha,

Its very kind of you to show concern for peoples belongs.... In the unlikely situation where peoples belongings are watched out to sea. I'm sure it would not be smiled on if you are out there digging up people's DVD players and I-pods. You don't have to worry about that... The best time to go beach hunting is right after a big storm. The beach gets eroded and what you call a cut can form. Taking away many inches if not feet of sand off the top of the beach. Letting you get down to all the old gold and silver....

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about all the sharp objects you will pick up that children could be hurt on!!!! a beach should be hunted before opening imo. You will be doing a service to your community.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't pick up obvious fresh belongings unless I was voluntering to help the owner. Chances are that anything that washed into the surf is now junk anyway. Old coins and jewelry are a different matter. I'd be hunting 'till I dropped for that stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread