Question about Explorer II

DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

Dec 6, 2007
Maryville, Tenn
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Quest Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased an Explorer II for a real deal. I have an Explorer SE PRO that is my primary machine. The problem i am having is that it seems that the II just does not pick up as deep as the SE and is not as consistant like the SE is. I can air test a target with the SE and pick targets at good depth. The II will not pick up those target with consistency. I have the pro coil on my SE and the SEF 10x12 coil on the II. Any feedback with be appreciated. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try restarting the II back to factory presets, then put your normal settings in again. It's not uncommon for explorers to get a little glitch and this will fix it.

If that doesn't work, then you have to go by trial and error. I would lose the SEF and start trying to figure out the problem only using the pro coil which you know is working well. If the restart and coil change doesn't work give us an update and we'll go from there. The detectors crosstalking is a possibility but I think an unlikely one because it would be obvious on the II it is being interfered with. An explorer II will definitely do what an SE will so keep trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

Dec 6, 2007
Maryville, Tenn
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Quest Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed coils and still the same. Then I tried the SE on the same target, same results. My ground must be bad because they did just about the same and had about the same depth with either coil. I will try it at another site and report.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I can tell you, and maybe IP will remember this, when I first got my EX II I had tons of issues, sounds like you might be having the same. It ended up being a board issue inside my detector. I sent it in to Minelab and paid $50 for a new board and it has worked like a charm since.

Try the reset and coil and if not, you may have to send it in for diagnosis and repair.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
I can tell you, and maybe IP will remember this, when I first got my EX II I had tons of issues, sounds like you might be having the same. It ended up being a board issue inside my detector. I sent it in to Minelab and paid $50 for a new board and it has worked like a charm since.

Try the reset and coil and if not, you may have to send it in for diagnosis and repair.

$50 for a new board? You got off VERY cheap. I would definitely rule everything out before sending a unit it, but with the last post it sounds like there might not be a problem.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Yep IP you told me then that I was VERY lucky to get it fixed that cheap. New board and a new contact inside the battery housing and they only charged me $49.95 plus the S&H.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Yep IP you told me then that I was VERY lucky to get it fixed that cheap. New board and a new contact inside the battery housing and they only charged me $49.95 plus the S&H.

I would expect anywhere from $150-$250 for a job like that! They tried to soak me several years ago... tried!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
crevias I suspect on your explorer 11 is auto sensitivity and se manual! with pro coil they both have the same deepness -my xs and even s deep like se and etrac. all FBS the same just pro coil makes more deep.
mastereagle22 50 they take just to look at, and after they say they change something. if its battery contacts - 50 ok, but not more.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
stasys said:
crevias I suspect on your explorer 11 is auto sensitivity and se manual! with pro coil they both have the same deepness -my xs and even s deep like se and etrac. all FBS the same just pro coil makes more deep.
mastereagle22 50 they take just to look at, and after they say they change something. if its battery contacts - 50 ok, but not more.

Well not to argue but I still have the ticket. They replaced a board for me and a battery contact. I know they did me a HUGE favor but that doesn't change the fact that it was done. Sorry if I told the OP the wrong info on price. I just know from experience that my EX II was messed up and once I got it back it has worked wonderfully well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
stasys said:

Well not to argue but I still have the ticket. They replaced a board for me and a battery contact. I know they did me a HUGE favor but that doesn't change the fact that it was done. Sorry if I told the OP the wrong info on price. I just know from experience that my EX II was messed up and once I got it back it has worked wonderfully well.

Well don't be 100% sure you did in fact get a new board because they tried to charge me for one on a perfectly working detector. I really don't believe a word they say and I wouldn't be surprised if they charge people even if they only have to do a factory restart!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread