Question for all Youse New Mexicans Out There

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am taking a couple weeks over the holly daze for a solo rock hunting run. While I have a good idea where I'm going and what to expect in Arizona, I am not nearly as familiar with NM. As much as I would like to hit the moonstone/pegamatites in Rabb Park, recent knee surgery contra-indicates a five/six mile, medium difficulty hike. I am, however, interested in the labradorites of Pueblo Park, but I don't know if that elevation will experience snow this time of year.

Don't mind cold, but snow and/or frozen ground doesn't make for good hunting, ya know?

I tend towards collecting cuttable stones and I"m not opposed to anything that will fill my Lotto-tumbler. I'm a solo camper with a (very) high clearance 4x4 (Toyota 4runner with 3.5" lift on a australian hi-lux outback frame) and don't mind spending a few days with the gad and pick in a good hole. Also have an extensive library that isn't necessarily limited to the gem trails books ;)

So, my basic questions are, what elevations should I avoid so as not to deal with snow and are there any locations any of y'all would recommend I not miss?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread