Question on "Banner Finds" eligibility

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I was reading this thread today and noticed Jeff of PA's statement about Banner Finds:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/401659-jackpot-yikes.html

cool dinosaur bone ! any way to have it I.D.'d ?

the stove although maybe considered an antique,
was a Purchase so not a banner find even with a million votes :tongue3:

It is really an established rule that nothing "purchased" can make the banner? So no garage sale finds, thrift stores, ebay etc? Are trash picks and dumpster diving finds still eligible?

Also I was thinking more about it and I really disagree with the rule but if it is to be interpreted strictly wouldn't finds made at a paid metal detecting hunt also be "purchased"? I wouldn't think those finds would be excluded from the banner because of that but if that is the rule then it is a fine line.

I think the banner should be based on the worthiness of the find and the story / votes by the members. It being "purchased" might result in a find getting less votes but if it has enough votes and is truly a worthy find then to exclude it simply because it is purchased really goes against the spirit of this site IMO.

Many garage sale pickers spend just as much time researching and investing in the legwork to nab a "treasure" as detectorists.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a different category, most of the items here are lost or thrown out and found by us, if your buying something it is owned by someone. Jmo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds at a paid hunt were still lost items found, I know of no "seeded " hunt finds ever bannered. It would be no different than my paying farmer John a $100 a year for the right to search his early 1700s property. ...

If I bought a 70" Wide screen TV new for $1.00 or a 1935 Chevy 3 window coupe for a $1000 I would not expect them to be a banner find or qualify for a banner find to me....Both would be great finds just not banner finds....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Probably a different category, most of the items here are lost or thrown out and found by us, if your buying something it is owned by someone. Jmo

msbeep-beep is right: Only dug "tame" items should be recognized for find-recognition. If someone is commissioned by someone to look for a lost ring (eg.: "I lost it somewhere on this volley-ball court") or planted hunts. I mean, c'mon, seriously, do you guys know the difference between a planted gold coin in a club hunt, versus a gold coin lost in 1870 in true fumble fingers fashion ??

OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Alright... I still don't agree that any and all purchased finds should be off limits for banner. I think of it as a case by case thing and most purchased finds just won't get the votes though a special one might and really might be worthy of the banner.

But as far as the thread I linked goes with the stove that the finder said he received for free off Craigslist. Is it just a matter of how it was obtained? Say instead of locating it and and arranging to pick it up with permission he found it on the curb at trash day? Or he found it at an old dump? Now it can be eligible for banner?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the original purpose of the banner was finds with a Metal Detector.

there may be exceptions on occasion,.
there is always a chance of something unforeseen I guess :dontknow:

but no

Finds purchased , Received as a Gift, Or planted at a hunt are not legit Banner worthy finds.

We have in the past , for a Joke / congrats type thing posted a wedding pic,
new Girlfriend Find or freshly born Baby
to shake things up, :tongue3: but that was when removal was as easy as placing a banner up there.

that is not the case now and I try to keep things legit.

as for the Jackpot post, The Bone is what kept me from even moving it out of Today's Finds.
and If the OP could get confirmation on it being a Dinosaur Bone,
and of what, within a reasonable time that it is still considered recent.
The Bone would be banner Worthy with Bannner reports.

but I'd like to know more about it first (curiosity)

oops, as for the stove. IF it had been found in a surprise Cellar/Bunker
while digging a Foundation & got the reports :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the original purpose of the banner was finds with a Metal Detector.

there may be exceptions on occasion,.
there is always a chance of something unforeseen I guess :dontknow:

but no

Finds purchased , Received as a Gift, Or planted at a hunt are not legit Banner worthy finds.

We have in the past , for a Joke / congrats type thing posted a wedding pic,
new Girlfriend Find or freshly born Baby
to shake things up, :tongue3: but that was when removal was as easy as placing a banner up there.

that is not the case now and I try to keep things legit.

as for the Jackpot post, The Bone is what kept me from even moving it out of Today's Finds.
and If the OP could get confirmation on it being a Dinosaur Bone,
and of what, within a reasonable time that it is still considered recent.
The Bone would be banner Worthy with Bannner reports.

but I'd like to know more about it first (curiosity)

oops, as for the stove. IF it had been found in a surprise Cellar/Bunker
while digging a Foundation & got the reports :thumbsup:
Didn't somebody once make the banner for getting engaged, or was that the old site.

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a couple banners for members who had a child and may have been one for engagement, they only ran a few hours and we're removed and all were on the old site...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What really qualifies something for the banner anyway? It's monetary value?? Its unique or rare qualities?? How unusual something is?? Other?? I have seen quite a few finds others have posted, and have posted a few myself, that members voted for banner but they never made it. Never really understood the banner thing?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't somebody once make the banner for getting engaged, or was that the old site.

SS

Yes on the Old Banner.
As I said it was allot easier back then to put a Banner up for a few hours,
Then remove it.

Now it's a Big Production even putting a banner up.
one error along the way, I need to get admins attention to have
it & it's consequences removed/reversed, and start all over :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has to do with how many banner votes it gets, was it found as a member, was it recent, is it rare or valuable? It there several just like it on the banner?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really qualifies something for the banner anyway? It's monetary value?? Its unique or rare qualities?? How unusual something is?? Other?? I have seen quite a few finds others have posted, and have posted a few myself, that members voted for banner but they never made it. Never really understood the banner thing?

banners are by Official Banner Votes.
Banner Votes Must be sent to us.

Saying "I vote Banner" in a thread is Not an official vote.

But we still reserve the right to disagree if we feel the Votes are out of
Pity, or Popularity of the Finder or type of find.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
But we still reserve the right to disagree if we feel the Votes are out of
Pity, or Popularity of the Finder or type of find.

How would you ever know? Glad I am not the one charged with making those decisions!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you ever know? Glad I am not the one charged with making those decisions!

Well if someones 7 Year old Daughter found her first coin & umteen million people report it for Banner
we know it's a Popularity Thing.

If someone finds a Historical Relic and gets Banner
and someone else finds the exact same thing the next day & everyone Votes Banner
we know it's a Popularity of that particular relic thing

If Ringy Breaks a Leg falling from a tree, after finding a IPANA Toothpaste Tube,
& gets a thousand Votes We know it's Pity :laughing7:

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time it's a popularity contest, just like the click brigade....people who follow other people around the site, giving the same people clicks and banner votes to the same said people. A banner should be based on rarity, value and age, couple with a good story, that's why this site needs a banner committee. How can you say if somebody finds lets say a rare button, and it gets bannered, and then low and behold another gets found...the same, why should that one not make banner :icon_scratch: it still would be just as rare as the first... Well almost.

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one said same button can't be on banner twice? Look at the GW buttons...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book rarety doesn't apply here.

just like the rareity number given in books, the value given in books is for un-dug copies.

dug copies of some items seem to be dug every week

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's has been said on here several times...by mods, that a similar banner item probably will not make banner, because there is already one there.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book rarety doesn't apply here. just like the rareity number given in books, the value given in books is for un-dug copies. dug copies of some items seem to be dug every week
Rarity come in many forms, when I say rare I mean the amount known. like I said in another thread the word rare is used many times on this site, with out really the poster really knowing.

SS

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn,t there be a link to access that tells users all this info ??

Also... I can,t find anywhere info on how you go from junior member to say hero member...and how you get to senior member etc...

This is a great site with a wealth of information and a lot of very knowledgeable folks who make this site even better.

But think it needs a couple extra links so newbs like myself find it easier to figure out some of these details.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread