Question on getting Permission?

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im new to metal detecting and i was wondering if anyone could tell me any good websites or ways to find the owner of a property. For example I have a lot of corn fields near my house where i live and i found on a old map that there were houses at these locations that are now just empty corn fields. I really dont know much about this so any info or tips would be great. Also i know how to use maps and stuff to find old locations so i dont need help with that. :)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way is to just go to the nearest house knock on the door and ask if they don't own the property they probably know who does

HH, RN

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A current PLAT map will tell you owner information if knocking on doors isn't your thing.

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm looking at one do you have to pay the get personal information or what website do you use?

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried paying for maps online but that is one way, someone who does that could point you in the right direction. The only one I've used before was ArcGIS but that's historical and free. If you google your county and PLAT map you can probably find some options.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call the local government offices and ask them how to go through their public records of tax collections. It is public records that you are allowed to search. Most are online now. They will include the current owner's name and mailing address. Get your software to make up fill-in-the-blanks permission letters and start mailing. Make phone calls if you can. Welcome to treasureNet. TTC

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a land use map on the Govt website. You find the old houses, go to the PLAt map, click the property and the details come right up. It may not be that easy where you are but it will be soon.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC has the way I do it. My state (and many/most others) have a GIS system with ownership and tax data under the State Tax Assessment site. Call your local county assessor and they can give you the url; or sometimes it comes up with a search: yourstate tax assessor . Note that some of the larger cities will have their own site that may or may not be linked to at the state site.

I accidentally found it years ago when I went to challenge my assessment increase (I won). Told the man after he showed me where it was that regardless of how my appeal went, the site info was well worth the trip to see him.

Also, youre going to LOVE NETR/Historic Aerials with all those empty homestead fields.

And Welcome to TN and the hobby!

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I was able to find a GIS map for my area but all i can get is an address and Parcel ID numbers it says i have to pay and some crap to get land owners names and other info? So thats where I am stuck at do I just find the Parcel number and then call the local accessors office and give them the Parcel number?

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know Dave. Illinois isn't exactly known for its citizen friendly goobermint. In my state all that info is online.
I have heard others suggest that all this info is publically available at your county courthouse for free, but again, who knows until you try? Theoretically, just ask one of the clerks for directions to look it up; they are supposed to be there to aid the public.

I think that a personal visit would get you further than a phone call. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread