Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.jpg Picture 117.jpg
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.jpg 06 Draped Bust.JPG
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.jpg Picture 114.jpg
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Anyone who finds an 1806 Draped Bust quarter deserves a big metal datecting kiss! :laughing7: So, with that being said, can I give you a big metal datecting kiss? :laughing7: :headbang: :hello2: :smileinbox:

You rock, SM! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Simply beautiful Draped Bust! Most excellent find----BANNER!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
halfdime said:
That is breathtaking! And fabulous, and spectacular, and incredible...Congrats on a great find!
All them and more....Beautiful Find!!!!!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just sitting here staring in awe at that quarter.... (for quite a while might I add) Figured I should actually post a reply :)

Absolutely INCREDIBLE find!!!!

Congrats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed a dream find ! It is so rare that we see anyone finding draped bust silver. In those early

years of U.S. coinage the mintages were small, a little over 200,000 for your 1806. Dreams really do come

true sometimes . Congratulations !!! Gregory, Santa Fe.

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thank you for the posts! This is a truly amazing find! By the way, is anyone good in identifying die varieties? I just noticed a line die break to the right of the 1 and what looks to be the horn of a 7 to the right of the 8. This is definetly not the 6/5 overdate because that one has a distinct 5 under the 6 and this one does not.
I'll just post a pic on the specific area in question.

Attachments

• edit 114.JPG
    edit 114.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 4,919

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding !!! Don't you love surprises like that! :icon_king:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a find of a life time! You are on to a terrific site! I'd hunt that sucker hard! Congrats!
Mike

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, one of my goal coins for years has been to find any of the large diameter early quarters. I spent some time attributing the variety and I am fairly certain by the straight line going from below the 1 straight up that this is a Browning 9 variety, very common type, and in that condition, I would guess $70-200 as a wag and I do mean a wag.

When I do not have literature showing varieties I do searches on the auction house websites and it appears on the Heritage Auction archives of 1806 quarters I found that match with yours, so I hope I am correct.

There are 10 varieties of 1806 Draped Bust Quarter, two are very common, Browning 3 and Browning 9.

Red Book prices are in general rough guides, they usually do not take into account the different varieties of the coin, they generalize just big varieties as in this case the 1806/5 variety and then put the other 9 varieties in one group which is not real world. But there are 10 varieties of the 1806 Quarter and collectors pay a premium for the rarer varieties, thus a vast difference in price for the same coin , same year, in same condition. This coin would be downgraded for corrosion/environmental damage.

With all that said, it is a wonderful find and they made quite a few of them but evidently they did not circulate much amongst the general public, since they are seldom found by detectorists.

Attaching a photo of a Browning 9 Obverse, with the die crack rather evident.

Don

Attachments

• Browning 9 obv.jpg
    Browning 9 obv.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4,815

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread