Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.jpg Picture 117.jpg
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.jpg 06 Draped Bust.JPG
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.jpg Picture 114.jpg
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SMS88,
Finally this made it to BANNER!!!! Congrats to you on not just one, but two fantastic finds in my book. I'd love to have either. :thumbsup:
The coins are beautiful, and the banner is well deserved.
Hopefully there are more out there waiting for you. :wink:
WAY TO GO!!!!
-MM-

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
congrats on making the banner Sean! :wink: its an incredible quarter! :thumbsup:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent quarter - worth a few bucks even in that condition :)

HH

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well it took a week, but I'm finally on the banner now! I brought some people to the site and all of us but one found a large cent. I got an 1839 'booby head' which i'll scan later. Someone else also found a 56 seated dime, but it's a very common date. They said they've been detecting for 30 years and have never found a draped bust coin. Those large cents were a big letdown because they ring up just like that quarter did! ;D

Attachments

• Picture 119.jpg
    Picture 119.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,646

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I used to think that a quarter reading that turned out to be a lage cent was kind of a let down also but not any more. Love the large cent with a passion. Gotta see the pics. That is a great site you have there.
Chris

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on making the banner. Good job!!! Man I love that freakin qwatta!! :love10: :love10: :laughing7:

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SMS88 said:
Those large cents were a big letdown because they ring up just like that quarter did! ;D

See?? the bust quarter ruined you...LC's are now a big let down!! ;D Congrats on a fantastic coin find, those silver busts are sweet...I;m still waiting to find my first silver bust...and Congrats on making the banner, deservedly so!!!! :thumbsup:

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A huge congratz on a very beautiful coin and of course for making the well deserved banner appearance ~ Jimmy

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
WOW!!! Sorry I missed this thread till now but congrats to you on a spectacular find and on making the banner!!! You are now in a very small club of which I am not a member.Oh well, maybe someday,WTG
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How were you able to post this coin? I would of died and it would of been lost again. :tard: A big congrats.
Burdie :D

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I'll trade you for a much cleaner quarter, your choice of Oklahoma, Nebraska or North Carolina... :)

Sweet find, and congrats on not only making the banner, but also in starting such a rousing "BANNER" chant! First standing ovation I've seen on Tnet. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions