Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.jpg Picture 117.jpg
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.jpg 06 Draped Bust.JPG
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.jpg Picture 114.jpg
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!

Upvote 0
D

Driftking102

I do not know if anyone has graded your coin. But I have done over 60 hours of coin grading myself so I have had enough practice with these and I am pretty sure you got a AG-3 condition Coin.

To be AG-3 it has to have:

Observe: Head is outlined, with nearly all details worn away. Date is readable but very week. Stars are merging into Rim.

Reverse: Entire design is partially worn away. Lettering merges with rim.

The value of the coin that you found is worth $115!

DON'T CLEAN IT IN ANY LIQUID AT ALL OR THE VALUE OF YOUR COIN WILL GO DOWN!

I am sorry for the caps but it is true. I have spent 60 hours learning about coin grading for my senior project. I am not an expert, so do not hold me accountable if I accidently undergraded it. But I am pretty sure I am dead on.

The books i used was American Numismatic assosiation grading stantards for United States Coins.

The red book that I used to find out the price is United States Coins 2008 Red book. So these are fairly updated prices.

Hopes this helps! :)

I would put that baby in a white case and right the grade and price on the case with a pencil. Also you might want a second opinion just incase I am off by one grade.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BANNER BANNER BO DANNER :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, Sharpshooter II
WOW! Sure beats the privy junk I found Saturday.
And, you get to KEEP your find!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You not only found the cake! You found the cake with the triple fudge icing and a cherry on top! :o

Good gosh, what some great finds! No telling what else is out there! Good luck on your return!!

Nana :wink:

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Holy Cow, I don't think I've ever seen one of those on here! Looks great for having spent 200 years in the ground.

Great going, and I think it is worthy of the banner.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh My God...

What a find!

Not just a Draped Bust Silver coin...but a Quarter!...AND A BEAUTIFUL ONE.

This find is Most Certainly worthy of the banner. In metal detecting, the Draped Bust Club is incredibly small.

(I'll be dreaming about this coin tonight.)

-Buckleboy

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I'd be in shock for quite awhile if I ever found that. AMAZING!
Great recovery too!
Congratulations on the find of a lifetime!
Definately belongs on the banner!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Awesome coins. Way to stay persistent through all the can slaw! - Jim

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nothing against the 1 Real that just appeared on the Banner...but your coin was the obvious choice between the two.

Once again, this is a Stellar find.

-Buckleboy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metalfinder said:
BuckleBoy said:
I have nothing against the 1 Real that just appeared on the Banner...but your coin was the obvious choice between the two.

Once again, this is a Stellar find.

-Buckleboy
X2... Nice reale however this coin is far superior. Perhaps the issue is you did not host your photo on the site. I have noticed most of the banner finds have the photos hosted on T-net. Although not all!!! I bet if you change the way they are hosted we see you in your rightful place. On top of the pile!!!

That's an excellent idea. Such a nice coin. And a darned scarce detecting find. It belongs on the banner. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
My photo is hosted on treasurenet, but it is a good idea. I did a little research and it turns out back then, the quarter wasn't a popular denomination when it came out. People prefered the spanish 2 reales equivalent at the time. The quarter was first struck in 1796 at 6146, 1804 at 6738, and again at 1805,6,and 7 in the 1-200,000s, and then, it wasn't made until 1815 with the capped bust design.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is totally awesome!!

Nat

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Awesome find!!! I have seen only one other Bust Quarter posted on other forums and I believe are harder to find than gold coins, many have been posted here the last couple years!! If this coin is not a Banner coin, then there just aren't any!! Very sweet!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread