Rainy Day Sunshine

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Ah yes.. got the rainy day blues. *sigh* The first day of a long awaited and anticipated vacation, and it rains cats and dogs. Well.. Ok.. Not exactly "cats and dogs" I mean come on! That would definitely have been all over the news now wouldn't it have been? I mean CATS and DOGS.. Falling from the sky? I mean frogs, sure.. and even fish.. they LIVE in water.. but cats and dogs? Oh well, I digress.
Yeah, I was a little disappointed when I finally got up out of bed this morning.. sleeping late don't you know! WOOHOO!.. disappointed when I looked out the window and saw that it was raining cats..uh.. pouring down a heavy rain. <ahem> No metal detecting today I thought.. or at least not till the rain lets up. As the lightning and thunder peeled in the background. *sigh* Nope. I would have to find other ways to occupy my first day of vacation. One was taking all the coins I've found for the last several months and cashing them in at the bank.. for gas money to go to the beach next week. Up until a few weeks ago it would have been enough to pay for the gas both TO and FROM the beach, and maybe a meal or two along the way, but not now.. sheesh! Verging on $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. I wonder if I could rig a mast and a sail on the Impala and sail to Myrtle Beach? <shaking head> No, I'm afraid that would break some statute or law somewhere along the way. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and dish out the cash for go juice.
During one of the few lulls in the biblical rainfall we experienced here in my neck of the woods today, I managed to get outside the house and when I did I discovered that my weeds..er.. Peonies were finally blooming. Danged flowers! I've mowed them down, hit them with the weed eater, even dug up the bulbs trying to get them away from this corner of the garage. But, every year, they just come back. In fact, they seem to multiply! What's up with that? Oh well, I'm a sucker for just about any underdog that just doesn't know when to give up. As you can see in the photo I've even staked this plant up this year so that the heavy blossoms won't bend over and break the stems, like they normally do. Peonies are fairly pretty flowers, very sweet smelling. The ants certainly love them, or at least their nectar. Humming birds like them too, but I've not been able to snap a picture of any of those little avian mosquitoes in the act of harvesting yet. Of course the location of this particular plan is kind of prohibitive of getting a decent picture of humming birds. Oh well, This summer, when I dig up the bulbs AGAIN from the corner of the garage, perhaps I'll transplant them in the back yard where I can get a better photo opportunity. <shrug>
Note in the picture, the rain speckled leaves and petals.. and the gushing water spout from my gutter down spout. Yeah.. cats and dogs I tell ya! Cats and Dogs! Maybe it'll not rain tomorrow and I can get out and detect a little. Need more money for gas! <grin>

5-15-08 001.jpg

5-15-08 002.jpg

May your days be Sunny.. if not.. at least may you find a ray of sunshine to light the way.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

slak jak

Mar 13, 2008
melbourne australia
Detector(s) used
whites pi 1000 x2. quatro , ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great photos , wish you luck tecting on your hols , hope the rain gives you some
breaks , h h , slak jak

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great pictures! Peonies are frustrating; they're pretty, but so top heavy that you can't enjoy them like you should. Good idea on staking them up.

CAgem

Mar 8, 2008
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, Deus
I would KILL to be able to grow Peonies out here in California. :tongue1: They are my favorite, but it's too warm in the winter for them.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Fro,
The weather should be bettter tomorrow. Hope you find some gold.
Joe

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such beautiful flowers and you want to get rid of them!!!??? ??? Lovely pictures and I can identify with all that rain! It rained here the entire day, yesterday. But...we needed it, so not much complaining. Hope you enjoy your vacation and find some great keepers! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Nana40 said:
Such beautiful flowers and you want to get rid of them!!!??? ??? Lovely pictures and I can identify with all that rain! It rained here the entire day, yesterday. But...we needed it, so not much complaining. Hope you enjoy your vacation and find some great keepers! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

Well.. I don't entirely want to get rid of them, just relocate them. The corner of the garage and in the middle of the gate to the back yard is not a convenient place for them to be growing.. blooming or otherwise. I like Peonies, really I do, but I'd like them better somewhere else in the yard. <grin> I wonder if they would grow well next to or intermixed with Day Lillies? I've got some along one fenceline in the back yard. <shrug> Oh well, they are safe till the blooms are gone again. probably safe till at least mid summer to give the bulbs time to mature.. before I dig them up.. again.. <grimace>

Frodov

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: My mom would love those pics dryer days are coming soon. hang in there for now

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Colonial KirkPA said:
A story! :thumbsup:

No "Honey-Do" list? :tongue3: :D

Kirk

Oh you simple simple man.. so niave... <laughing> Every married man out there knows the truth.. there's ALWAYS something on the "honey-do" list. Trouble is we don't often know about it till it's spoken of by our "honey". <laughing> It's a matter of simple logistics and logic. There are only two rules to remember when you get married..

Rule number One: The woman is ALWAYS right.

Rule number Two: If there is ever a time when you think you might know better..
refer to rule number one.

<grin> So far though, other than mowing the lawn.. and getting a hair cut.. and getting the car washed,
I've managed to keep the Honey-Do items at bey. Of course, my "honey" is somewhat distracted by
the prospect of leaving for a beach vacation on Monday. <wink>

Happy Hunting !

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread