RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't worry bout my squirrels too much. c9d84dbdcfe4b5e3e17c4229aae8c859.gif

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190825_101825.jpg the blue circle is the salvage camp area....the red circle is the indian springs...and the yellow line is where the cannons were mounted pointing to sea. Come cool weather I'm gonna focus on these swamps in the back. I'll probe for onion bottles and hunt for coin stashes and drops. Theres something here somewhere just alot of trash too....I must have patience.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Even the broken pieces of pottery have history. Really neat pieces Bart.
Maybe "Indian Springs" is where The Fountain of Youth is :laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190824_142235.jpg so many days I've parked my truck at the salvage camp site and launched my kyak to go to the most gold filled spot in the keys.....the ultimate spot for gold jewelry !! The islamorada sand bar. This is hands down the best spot I've ever hunted. It almost always gives up a gold piece. Half a mile out and theres no land only a small beach at low tide. It's always filled with boats and tourists. Constantly being replenished. Lots of wedding bands in my box from this spot. Double tap and zoom in to see all the boats out there. Everyone is out there drinking swimming and loosing stuff right now.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
the blue circle is the salvage camp area....the red circle is the indian springs...and the yellow line is where the cannons were mounted pointing to sea. Come cool weather I'm gonna focus on these swamps in the back. I'll probe for onion bottles and hunt for coin stashes and drops. Theres something here somewhere just alot of trash too....I must have patience.
======

Tried any of that magnet fishing Bart ?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just east of that sandbar about 3/4 of a mile away is the ballast mound of the "chavez" a 1733 fleet galleon. Theres at least one gold dabloon in the ballast because my friend and mentor Marty meylach found one there in the mid 60s....he picked it up and then dropped it again. When he tried to retrieve it in the ballast it just kept going deeper into the stones as he moved them until it was gone. So there's at least one on this wreck.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be tough to walk away from Bart. Knowing it was within my grasp I would have moved every stone.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1733 Spanish Galleon Trail - Fleet of 1733 one of the greatest treasure fleet disasters of all time....and then one of the greatest salvage operations of all time too. Still a lot to be found in the water and out of the water at these camp locations....I've got quite a few coins from this disaster !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be tough to walk away from Bart. Knowing it was within my grasp I would have moved every stone.

There are easier ones to find simon !! If marty couldn't find it.....well its gonna be tuff for me to.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can't wait to see pics bart. Hope the tough going is worth it. Hope you get a lot of high tones.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's cool! So this is all from the great lakes?

RR....this is all at home in my backyard. I was just working up in the great lakes for a month.

I live down in the florida keys.....the islands.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, I forgot, lol! I confused you with someone else. I do remember you saying something Florida related, but I couldn't remember. That is THE spot for cool stuff! I was kind of wondering what pirate ships were doing up in Michigan.:icon_scratch:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I forgot, lol! I confused you with someone else. I do remember you saying something Florida related, but I couldn't remember. That is THE spot for cool stuff! I was kind of wondering what pirate ships were doing up in Michigan.:icon_scratch:

I see them on weekends along the river here.:laughing7:

K1600_DSCN6753.JPG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hated baling hay. Besides my allergies as a youth, the amount of snakes that were in those bales was staggering. But RR, "IF" you could reduce the odds of being bitten, why wouldn't you ? I don't gamble, but it seems to me that what you are doing is a gamble. Oh well, like that Progressive Insurance commercial, I am NOT your dad. ( But still....I am just saying ).

I don't miss the chaff in my skivvies and lungs...Or the scratches.

One farm I labored on had the great luxury of a "kicker" baler. Man , was that ever easier than slinging bales up by hand.
Catching/guiding bales onto the wagon in tiers was not too difficult , but when someone yelled "snake!" we'd be doin the hula and the limbo at the same time getting out of the way of the incoming .Usually blue racers , with insulted angry defensive attitudes.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't miss the chaff in my skivvies and lungs...Or the scratches.

One farm I labored on had the great luxury of a "kicker" baler. Man , was that ever easier than slinging bales up by hand.
Catching/guiding bales onto the wagon in tiers was not too difficult , but when someone yelled "snake!" we'd be doin the hula and the limbo at the same time getting out of the way of the incoming .Usually blue racers , with insulted angry defensive attitudes.

Around here kids could make a lot of money baling hay. But once the farmers went to the big round bales that era disappeared. From what I heard some of the farmers provided beer to the kids who worked for them. No big deal. Tossing hay bales was hot, hard work.
Another job which I believed has disappeared is catching chickens. Some of those guys could get several chickens in each hand holding the legs between their fingers. But that work was hard on the hands. There was an old fellow who had been a chicken catcher for years used to come to church. His hands were nothing but bone,tendon and wiry muscle. Looked like the feet of the chickens he caught.
Hate to imagine the chronic pain he must have endured later in life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread