Rare 10th Regimental Continental Button Find!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea went back today to try my luck again but no good! Just not in the spot the other piece is for sure unless it's deeper.Anyway purdy much a bust.With day light so short and this being a long ride.3hrs on the road this I'm leaving to my dad as he said he'll keep checking for me. Here they are for what it's worth the pewter button with the # 10 on it is a first.

Attachments

• 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,772
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 000_0015.jpg
    000_0015.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,751
  • 000_0017.jpg
    000_0017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 000_0018.jpg
    000_0018.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,745
  • 000_0019.jpg
    000_0019.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,743
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare N.C 10th Regiment Button Find!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Pete...... there isn't much I could say about your Latest BANNER find that the outhers haven't already said :notworthy: not that I would know what to say :P so I will just say you are the American Colonial King :headbang:

SS

Attachments

• TopOfWorld.jpg
    TopOfWorld.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,176

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NC 10th Banner Button :icon_king:

I would keep hunting that spot until I found a spork mold :D

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just wanted to add these pics. from this morning as I notice my shots at night here in the house with these plant lights makes them look yellowish or something! ALSO THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS GUY'S! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
TK,

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 000_0001_00.jpg
    000_0001_00.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 000_0002_00.jpg
    000_0002_00.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,078

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The color is much more accurate but detail not near as good. Make sure you send both pics if you contact anyone.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have looked Tice's book over for something to match and haven't found anything yet.

Your new photo makes me wonder if the last two letters may be, "NY" as in New York. An abbreviation for the location of the button maker. The "A" being the last letter of the name of the maker.

If you are tired of hunting that place send me a message, I'd be happy to search your leavings. :read2:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Those are some nice early finds

HH Jer

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Curious The George said:
I have looked Tice's book over for something to match and haven't found anything yet.

Your new photo makes me wonder if the last two letters may be, "NY" as in New York. An abbreviation for the location of the button maker. The "A" being the last letter of the name of the maker.

If you are tired of hunting that place send me a message, I'd be happy to search your leavings. :read2:
I Gotcha, not tired yet! :laughing9: :hello:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller, I was thinking last night why so few of the N. Carolina's have been known found in N. Carolina, and why the majority have been found in Pa., leading some experts to assume they may have been the Pennsylvania or Mass. 10th Regiments.

Besides the fact that finally we now know the "10" wasn't made by Clarke, we also know the 10th N. Carolina had it's engagements in Pa. before the surrender so it would be naturual for the button to show up in Pa..

The thing is, the 10th surrendered as a regiment at Valley Forge, and my guess, with all this button has told us already, is that one of the first thing to be demanded of this huge group of captives was the buttons. They had some value, but beyond that it would prevent the rag tag Continental Army from recasting its limited amount of pewter into buttons for the existing Army. Your button is definately going to cause some second guesses. Once again, stellar find!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Timekiller, I was thinking last night why so few of the N. Carolina's have been known found in N. Carolina, and why the majority have been found in Pa., leading some experts to assume they may have been the Pennsylvania or Mass. 10th Regiments.

Besides the fact that finally we now know the "10" wasn't made by Clarke, we also know the 10th N. Carolina had it's engagements in Pa. before the surrender so it would be naturual for the button to show up in Pa..

The thing is, the 10th surrendered as a regiment at Valley Forge, and my guess, with all this button has told us already, is that one of the first thing to be demanded of this huge group of captives was the buttons. They had some value, but beyond that it would prevent the rag tag Continental Army from recasting its limited amount of pewter into buttons for the existing Army. Your button is definately going to cause some second guesses. Once again, stellar find!
I'm confused again,I thought that is what it say's on the back :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

very nice find.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

timekiller said:
johnnyi said:

I'm confused again,I thought that is what it say's on the back :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

No, from what you've told us and shown, it doesn't say Clarke on the back.

Apparently from what we've read in other resources so far, some of the recessed numeral regimentals were made by Clarke, but apparently the "10" had not had an identified maker (until yours showed up). It was only a guess by some experts that the "10" was a Pa. or a Mass., and that was based on style and where most were found.

Again, it would be natural for most "10s" to be found in Pa. because that is where the N. Carolina served. It was the exraordinary circumstances of their surrender though, coupled with the fact that few were found in N. Carolina, that suggest the following scenerio:

When the entire regiment surrendered their buttons would likely be confiscated by the British; both for their limited monetary value, to reduce moral, and as well, so they could not fall back into the hands of the Continental Army to be recast.

Remember, this was an entire regiment that surrendered at once, and that may have presented a more obvious opportunity for the British then in other circumstances.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
timekiller said:
johnnyi said:

No, from what you've told us and shown, it doesn't say Clarke on the back.

Apparently from what we've read in other resources so far, some of the recessed numeral regimentals were made by Clarke, but apparently the "10" had not had an identified maker (until yours showed up). It was only a guess by some experts that the "10" was a Pa. or a Mass., and that was based on style and where most were found.

Again, it would be natural for most "10s" to be found in Pa. because that is where the N. Carolina served. It was the exraordinary circumstances of their surrender though, coupled with the fact that few were found in N. Carolina, that suggest the following scenerio: When the entire regiment surrendered their buttons would likely be confiscated by the British; both for their limited monetary value, to reduce moral, and as well, so they could not fall back into the hands of the Continental Army to be recast.

Remember, this was an entire regiment that surrendered at once, and trhat may have presented a more obvious opportunity then in other circumstances.
Thanks Buddy,Yea I just don't know enough about these things.I know old sites, I go, and find things and post with the hope that people like you can help with them as I think the older stuff is great.But I'm learning and very thankful for you ALL on that! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Finding Old Sites now That I know! :thumbsup: Just becomes easy after years of doing it! :headbang:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

WOW nice piece of history right there. BANNER all the way for sure. Congrats bigtime. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ip, I got up with Don,And this was his 1 reply followed by his 2nd!
1st REPLY,
Pete,

If you mean North Carolina. The 10th had lost a complete shipment of uniforms and accoutrements arrive just after they left N America in 1778 which was taken by the Rebels . Apparently the Delaware Regiment and possibly other American troops were issued the red coats of the 10th which is why you find them down that way. I don't have my references handy, I think also extra 10th equipment wound up with some Loyalist units which they sold before they left. 10th buttons and a beltplate have been dug around Camden. Don T.

Feel free to post this reply as it may save me having to answer this question in the future.

Cheers
Don
2nd REPLY,
Hold on.................now that I see the CLEAR picture. That is an American 10th, a rare type issued early in the war generally associated with Pennsylvania troops but may have been worn by others, This is why it's important to send clear pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW the little piece with two studs might be the washer to a British beltplate. Don

Thanks Much!! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you sent him the bad pic! ::)

...but if he calls it rare it's definitely RARE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread