Re: man vs.wild busted, Converted to Ghosthunters Topic

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think so.

Networks usually want to squeeze those shows for everything they can get out of them. They want to keep them popular, so they can sell them into syndication, after they stop making new episodes. Something like this does not attract new viewers, nor does it keep people watching. People will just stop tuning in to this show, and it will quickly disappear (as soon as they run out of unshown episodes).

Take Ghost Hunters for instance. Started on SciFi and became a huge hit. After a couple of years on air, the sold the old episodes to either TNT or USA Network (I think). Right now, there is a problem with their last show (about the house haunted by Manson's Victims). A meter that one guy was using to communicate with a spirit may have been a scam, and some of the screenshots of their Thermal Camera were definitely altered (poorly I might add). If this controversy had happened before, SciFi might not have been able to sell the old episodes. Whether or not you believe in ghosts, TAPS were always touted as having a good reputation, and being honest in their investigations. See, reputations are everything. If you have a good one, you can always find work. If you have a bad one, you might have to move or find another line of work.

Best,

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: man vs.wild busted

Yes Mike that Meter looked Very Unbelievable.

I figured they did it because it was the last show of the Season.

Still very Unprofessional.

They may as well used a Magic 8 Ball

Not to mention Filming in Hollywood where
Things can be manufactured.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Jeff,

It's not that it looked unbelievable. On the SciFi Forums, there are a lot of very HiTech Geeks, that take apart all the evidence that is shown, and see if they can figure it out. Look closely at this video. Notice how the numbers in front of the decimal are bouncy just like most of the rest of the video. Now look at the single digit after the decimal. Notice how it is steady and doesn't move? The number after the decimal point in the temp, and the time stamp are both steady, and do not shake, unlike EVERYTHING else in the video. That is not just unbelievable, that is an OBVIOUS edit, and proof of fraud!

http://www.darkrealmlabs.com/scifi/doc1.avi

Also, you can make out artifacting behind the numbers (temp and time stamp) if you look carefully.

Best,

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahhh, but did you see the Gizmo they pulled out
the other week ?

When they asked questions, the ghost was to make a series of lights
go up in a row once for no & twice for yes.

It sort of reminded me of a Pinpointer.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes. It's called the KII (or K2) meter. It is an EMF Meter designed to measure how much electromagnetic energy is leaking from Appliances and power wires.

It has a built in button on the top that you press to get a reading. The reading is given by the number of LEDs that light up.

The science behind it being used as a ghost communicator is actually sound. Most ghost hunters agree that when a spirit manifests itself, it gives off a higher than background reading EMF Signal. So, if you can train the spirit to manifest itself right in front of the meter when asked a question, it could "conceivably" be used to talk to ghosts. I have talked to people who have used them to detect EMFs, and it supposedly works well. I don't know anyone who has used one for ghost talking.

best,

Mike-----------------------------

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

TAPS had a great reputation until "Ghosthunters" came along. Like every other paranormal TV show before it, and those that will come afterwards...they are for your entertainment.

NO one in their right mind would sit there and watch an hour's worth of real paranormal investigation. It's boring boring boring. Does NOT make for good TV.

The TAPS gang used to do real investigations and then decided to open the door to more people to educate the masses about the possibilities. How do you do this...pitch a TV show. Let the public have it's debates by entertaining them.

It's not a state secret that "evidence" caught by TAPS isn't anything but one of the moments where you can say...is it, isn't it.....and that's why "Ghosthunters" is one the highest rated TV shows the Sci-Fi channel ever had.

I like J and G. Think they sold out but hey, a bit of fame and fortune beats unclogging people's toilets anyday.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I hate are theit Teasers.

in their Previews you see one of the women Jump
& Scream, You see them Gasp or act amazed at something,
then when it comes on you find out it had nothing to do with anything.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

OH MY GOD JEFF, you are so right. I used to get all excited about the teasers and come to find out, they twist and turn things and it's not what you thought at all.

Meanies. >:(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still liked the Castle in Ireland.
Even though I think the guy Lied about being Hit.
I think he Tripped on his own Feet,
& played it up.
the Woman''s voice Crying was Freakey to say the least.

& the Hospital I forget where.
but it was cool when something ran accross in front of them.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TAPS has NOTHING to do with the final editing process. That is all SciFi.

The first season was the best and most honest. When the ratings start going through the roof, you have to do things to keep those ratings high, so the network can sell those old shows into syndication.

Like I posted earlier. Anybody interested in Ghosthunters should check out the SciFi Forums:

http://forums.scifi.com/

The Ghosthunters Forum is not what you think it would be. There are a few fans that drink the KoolAid, but most of the members are very hitech geeks, who technically tear apart every show, checking out every piece of evidence TAPS shows.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TAPS has NOTHING to do with the final editing process. That is all SciFi.

The first season was the best and most honest. When the ratings start going through the roof, you have to do things to keep those ratings high, so the network can sell those old shows into syndication.

The best episode was the St. Augustine, Florida Lighthouse, where you could see the apparition move up the stairs, and peak out ovewr the railing at the top of the stairs. The biggest selling point for me was the fact that it didn't set off the motion sensitive lights.

Like I posted earlier. Anybody interested in Ghosthunters should check out the SciFi Forums:

http://forums.scifi.com/

The Ghosthunters Forum is not what you think it would be. There are a few fans that drink the KoolAid, but most of the members are very hitech geeks, who technically tear apart every show, checking out every piece of evidence TAPS shows.

Best,

Mike

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Yeah that's funky. I have to admit I can not quite figure out how EVP's are captured.

I think it has to do with the way sound is heard by human ears and the biochemical response the brain uses to interpret sound. Take the human out of the equation and the simple mechanical device (voice recorder) is capturing what exists without having to interpret it. But why can't we hear it until playback? Why don't we hear it when it's being said? Yup, has something to do with the frequency of the communication and how the mechanical device doesn't have the damper the human living brain does.

My best advice, be very wary of the kind of EVP's that have been run through the computer sound editing software. If you can't hear it pretty plainly while listening in playback, odds are you are trying too hard to make something out of nothing when running it through the editing filters.

Those more spiritually aware say we are all capable of communication with spirit but you have to develop those abilities. There is something within which allows for that communication but you have to know how to turn it on.

Anyone ever see that t-shirt...."Shut up voices or I'll poke you with a Q-tip again!" Certainly one of my favorites.

Although I'll quickly say there is a mighty huge difference between true spirit communication and legitimate mental health conditions. Unfortunately many folks with schizophrenia have been driven to extremes because they didn't know they had mental health issues and didn't seek help from qualified professionals.

I'd never intentionally make light of the unfortunate people with these conditions but from a ghosthunting standpoint, the t-shirt is funny.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Why don't we just agree to disagree on this.

I've actually been out in the field on real paranormal investigations.

Don't make me go all....I know better than you do, nah nah nah nah nah.

:D

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was actually a quote from Homer Simpson in an episode of The Simpsons. I thought (and still think) it is hilarious!

I don't think it has so much to do with how we hear, but with how a spirit manifests itself. Every piece of evidence suggests it has to do with the spirit using whatever energy happens to be nearby (heat in the air, batteries, etc) to manifest itself. When the energy is used, it emits an EMR (Electromagnetic Radiation). Sort of like when an appliance is in use, it emits EMR or EMF that is measurable with an EMF Meter.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tricia said:
Why don't we just agree to disagree on this.

I've actually been out in the field on real paranormal investigations.

Don't make me go all....I know better than you do, nah nah nah nah nah.

:D

Are you replying to me? They split the topic. It caught me off guard at first too. I had to reply in two topics.

YOU"RE KILLING ME JEFF! ;D ;D ;D

I know what you mean. Been along on many investigations in New Orleans (where I'm from), and a couple out here in SoCal.

So nanner nanner nanner :P :P :P

Best,

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tricia even though I have had expierences, I'm still
think it was mind tricks.
But I still like hearing Stories

gollum I can merge this into the Ghost adventures Thread if yous would like to keep things together.
I just felt bad we Hijacked the Man vs wild thread :P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tricia said:
Yeah that's funky. I have to admit I can not quite figure out how EVP's are captured.

I think it has to do with the way sound is heard by human ears and the biochemical response the brain uses to interpret sound. Take the human out of the equation and the simple mechanical device (voice recorder) is capturing what exists without having to interpret it. But why can't we hear it until playback? Why don't we hear it when it's being said? Yup, has something to do with the frequency of the communication and how the mechanical device doesn't have the damper the human living brain does.

My best advice, be very wary of the kind of EVP's that have been run through the computer sound editing software. If you can't hear it pretty plainly while listening in playback, odds are you are trying too hard to make something out of nothing when running it through the editing filters.

Those more spiritually aware say we are all capable of communication with spirit but you have to develop those abilities. There is something within which allows for that communication but you have to know how to turn it on.

Anyone ever see that t-shirt...."Shut up voices or I'll poke you with a Q-tip again!" Certainly one of my favorites.

Although I'll quickly say there is a mighty huge difference between true spirit communication and legitimate mental health conditions. Unfortunately many folks with schizophrenia have been driven to extremes because they didn't know they had mental health issues and didn't seek help from qualified professionals.

I'd never intentionally make light of the unfortunate people with these conditions but from a ghosthunting standpoint, the t-shirt is funny.

I hear voices on my TV Speakers.

Radio Waves

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Tricia even though I have had expierences, I'm still
think it was mind tricks.
But I still like hearing Stories

gollum I can merge this into the Ghost adventures Thread if yous would like to keep things together.
I just felt bad we Hijacked the Man vs wild thread :P

No No. I agree that we had kind of hijacked the other thread. It just happened while I was posting, and confused me at first ;D ;D ;D I'm fine now.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gollum said:
and confused me at first ;D ;D ;D I'm fine now.

Mike

Watch out for those Brain Farts, They can Get Ya ;D

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Yes we did kinda hijack the other thread. Yup, glad it got sorted out. Sorry 'bout that whomever started that other thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread