Read all about it.....relic found in ditch slop!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Our pipe layers dredged a couple buckets of slop from a creek bed in the downtown area of Vassar today.They had dumped it in our staging area to dry out and as I was driving by I noticed a bottle in the mess.I stopped and poked around for awhile finding a couple bottles from the 40s or 50s and one broken whisky bottle that was a bit older.Having satisfied my eyes I thought I might give my ears a go at it and swept the pile with my detector.Found two larger targets that were covered with mud and at the time unidentifiable.Lucky for me there is an artesian well on the site with a spigot.I put my thumb over the spigot to form a makeshift power washer and cleaned my finds off.The first item turned out to be a brass light fixture.It was pretty old but in real rough shape.(It didnt make it home with me). Second item, to my enjoyment,turned out to be a copper printers plate.Its about 4X6 and is in quite good shape.It is an advertisement for "The new De Laval Cream Seperator"...Very cool. Ive got a nice piece of oak in the garage and Im thinkin Ill make a new backer for this piece and maybe hang it on the wall. Thanks for lookin and the best of luck to all....Joe

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,030
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bavaria Mike said:
That's a great find for sure, would that be early 1900s, any idea? HH, Mike
Mike, The ad claims this to be "The crown jewel of 48 years of separator manufacturing and leadership" The company was incorporated in 1885....so.....1933ish.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
W :o W, J :o E!! Amazing finds. Both the tin sign and the printing plate are very collectable!

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
HEY JOE:
FOUND THIS IN AUG. THIS COMPANY WAS FROM MY HOME TOWN.
EARTHWORKS...

Attachments

• DELAVALFOB 001.jpg
    DELAVALFOB 001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 538
  • DELAVALFOB 001.jpg
    DELAVALFOB 001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 528
OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Earthworks said:
HEY JOE:
FOUND THIS IN AUG. THIS COMPANY WAS FROM MY HOME TOWN.
EARTHWORKS...
Very cool Earthworks...Id say yours is a bit older....Joe

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Towards the top left, is that a Month and Year?..... Great find that I would definately not sell.

God bless
Peter

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. That might not be your garden variety printers plate, it might be something much more uncommon. I think to make those ones with the backwards lettering so the letters would come out forwards, they first had to carve a forwards-lettered one. Maybe that's what you've found! It would be interesting to learn more about this piece.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow this story just keeps geting better and better, please keep us updated on the porcelin sign, I would also like to see a print from the plate. Looks like a new collection for you, get the 2nd piece so you can go in search of more!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Talked to the property owner today.He came down to watch us work for awhile and I struck up a little conversation.I asked him what he knew about De laval cream separators and then explained my recent finding.Before I could even mention the sign I saw in his pole barn, he piped right up about it and proudly announced that he was donating the sign as well as everything else in the barn to the local historical society(there is a beautiful buckboard in there). Well....what can I say to that but "good for you".,,,..........But Im keepin the plate...I almost feel bad about it.....selfish??? Im still keepin it......well....maybe for awhile......damn.....Joe

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
hey jopher Im originally from owosso, Ididnt start detecting until after I left there, Ilive in Athens GA now, but it always drives me nuts because Im always thinking of places I wish I could detect up there. drop me an E-mail to fishboymike@gmail .com and I'll give you someplaces. that goes for anyone else in the area. congrats on your finds. Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread