Reading this forum just gave me the MD bug... which detector should i get?

M

Monolith

I live in New England, so the soil tends to be rocky. I'll probably stick to searching in dry conditions. Can anyone suggest something? I dont really have a budget, id rather spend a lot up front for something good than have to spend even more later to upgrade.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a lot of info in the different forums, especially this one, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=208.0.

The only advice I could give you is to actually try the detector out before you plunk your money down. A lot of folks have bought a detector and found out that they really didn't like it. Go to a dealer with some target samples and take it for a test drive. Stick with the major brands...Whites, Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro, etc. You don't want a $1000 detector sitting in your closet, so you may even want to rent one and go on a few hunts first. Beware...once bitten, it can become a wonderful addiction!

HH!
TBGO

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monolith said:
I live in New England, so the soil tends to be rocky. I'll probably stick to searching in dry conditions. Can anyone suggest something? I dont really have a budget, id rather spend a lot up front for something good than have to spend even more later to upgrade.

Thanks!

I don't wish to be unkind to those who use other brands. I personally like all of them. But, I will say this, the Tesoro and Laser (same company) are easy to learn and very excellent.

I use the Tesoro DeLeon which is the US equivalent of the UK Laser Hawkeye. I could never express here how much I like this machine! If you can, just borrow a Hawkeye and spend about 10 hours learning it. Take it to an old site (that has trash) where the coins and relics are known to be in the 5 to 8 inch depth range and you'll kill with this machine.

It's NOT that the Tesoro product is so much DEEPER than other brands. The thing about the Tesoro/Laser brand is the target separation ability and sound. Tesoros have about the smoothest and easiest to read sound in the business. Even a child could learn the deep silver coin sound in a few hours. With Tesoro, it's super easy to dig good coins out of the iron trash.

My last old coins (1800's) were dug right beside or under big iron trash.

If you're hunting plowed fields than get the Tejon or the Fisher CZ 3D. The Fisher is the deepest practical VLF made today but it doesn't work well in high trash areas. This same thing holds for the Tejon.

Fisher CZ 3D can detect a buried dime (18mm) coin at 13 inches (no joke).

I'd recommend NOT one machine but two. I'd get the Hawkeye, Cortes, or DeLeon for hunting lots and yards, etc. I'd get the Tejon or 3D for those super deep low-trash areas.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/

Best to you!

Badger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the troy X series forum couple guys have the troy machines (in england)they do GREAT in the feilds looking for roman artifacts sorry bart hey they have a shot for detector rabies yet?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many fine detectors and you will get many opinions on which brand is best. Stay away from the cheapo brands. Generally you do get what you pay for. Visit the manufactures sites to learn more about the different models and the type hunting you plan on doing.

Fisher & Tesoro both make great detectors and they carry the Lifetime Warranty. The others like Whites, Minelab, Troy, Garrett, and a few cheapos don't carry that good a warranty. You know you won't need it till the warranty time is up, right?

Be very careful buying on ebay. Stick to the name brands as at least they will repair them if you buy someones broken detector. That's why they are selling it. If it was still such a good machine, why aren't they letting a family member use it. However to be fair, not everyone is selling a broken detector. Some guys just need to upgrade and don't have the cash since the old lady buys to many shoes....... ;D

OP
OP
M

Monolith

Michigan Badger said:
I don't wish to be unkind to those who use other brands. I personally like all of them. But, I will say this, the Tesoro and Laser (same company) are easy to learn and very excellent.

I use the Tesoro DeLeon which is the US equivalent of the UK Laser Hawkeye. I could never express here how much I like this machine! If you can, just borrow a Hawkeye and spend about 10 hours learning it. Take it to an old site (that has trash) where the coins and relics are known to be in the 5 to 8 inch depth range and you'll kill with this machine.

It's NOT that the Tesoro product is so much DEEPER than other brands. The thing about the Tesoro/Laser brand is the target separation ability and sound. Tesoros have about the smoothest and easiest to read sound in the business. Even a child could learn the deep silver coin sound in a few hours. With Tesoro, it's super easy to dig good coins out of the iron trash.

My last old coins (1800's) were dug right beside or under big iron trash.

If you're hunting plowed fields than get the Tejon or the Fisher CZ 3D. The Fisher is the deepest practical VLF made today but it doesn't work well in high trash areas. This same thing holds for the Tejon.

Fisher CZ 3D can detect a buried dime (18mm) coin at 13 inches (no joke).

I'd recommend NOT one machine but two. I'd get the Hawkeye, Cortes, or DeLeon for hunting lots and yards, etc. I'd get the Tejon or 3D for those super deep low-trash areas.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/

Best to you!

Badger

Awesome info, thanks Badger!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions