Im Having no luck lately getting permission to hunt

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if its the places I want to hunt or maybe its me but the last 3 times I asked for permission I got turned down. Today I asked at a old farm house they were working on and they said no but thanked me for asking, lol.
Kinda discourageing to me though. Im very apprehensive to begin with so when this happens it really kicks my butt.
Donno, guess I just have to keep on asking. Just wanted to vent....thanks for listening

HH Twister

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your Luck Twister.

Just Keep Trying.

can you give an Example of how you start your Conversations ?

I don't know if it will help, But you Never know.

GOOD LUCK at the Next one.

Jeff

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Remember to always thank them, but then ask them if they know of any good spots you could hunt....dont tell them you are looking for money...tell them you are looking for old bottles,jewerly ,tokens , or even old pennies....but dont say the word"money'.
Carry a card with your name and number...tell them to give you a call if they think of any or even if they want something recovered...

I always introduce myself right off the bat and offer my hand...I dont have a problem with ever getting turned down....I am just pleasant,nice and funny ....and if they look hesitant ...I switch the subject to old stories and get them talking about the area and what used to be here....then they loosen up alot .....research has really paid off for me. Before I ask to hunt a place....I know the area, who lived in the area and I mention these things and start asking questions"Do you remember? Do you know who would remember? Do you have photos?.....

If I am in an public area ,I take the time to talk and answer questions from the old timers...they are my best resource...and they will call me when they think of something or a place. I recently was hunting a teardown and one of the old neighbor men came over and started talking....then he asked if I could find some buried stuff in his yard....within ten minutes I had found his cache of buried telephone insulators....hahaha...over two hundred of them ... .he had buried them thirty years ago and forgot where.....but what this gained me was numerous phone calls from his friends and permission to hunt his land plus several relatives whenever I want.

Alot of time when people ask me "what I am hunting for " I say ...a pot of gold....which leads to them saying "well I dont know where that is ...but I know where______ is or ______is......

Good Luck!

Z

ZumbroKid

Go south down Columbia Pike, 6-8 miles on the left is a little gravel road that goes by the name snowbird hollar. Do you know where this is twister? There is something special lost by a ruined cabin down this gravel road (wedding ring).

OP
OP
twister

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I introduce myself and tell them where im from and how long i been in the area. Then i tell them i travel to different places metal detecting looking for old relics and possibly if they had lost something like jewelry i could assist in trying to find it. I offer an examply of how I would dig for the items ( which usually gets me in because i dig cleanly) they seem to get impressed after they see how nice i keep the area. Then i tell them i keep all the trash and clean thier yard from it. I usually have no problems but the last 3 i can barely get hi how are you and they say no, lol. Maybe it will get better soon I have my eye on a couple sweet spots to try.

THanks for the help

HH Twister

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
Twister- This really is a mixed bag for me. I have only been hunting for 1 year now. I have requested permission from churches, friends, relatives, and neighbors. I received permission from one church but not the other. All my relatives I asked gave me permission except 1.The one which never got back to me I put time into a letter with an enclosed S.A.S.E.(the nerve of them!!). The only neighbor I asked said yes, but since have had a sort of falling out unrelated to detecting so I only finished half the yard. :( My friends all said yes for various reasons. Some were detectorists,another owns a daycare so nail and sharp object elimination is a must in the play area. Just when I think I've run out of places something big comes through for me. I have also asked coworkers and perfect strangers. Ask people from your past, research the local history, follow the street construction updates or the city council agenda in your town for clues for the next big dig. Good luck and remember to sell yourself and the hobby.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i goes that way for me sometimes too. i guess all you can do is to keep plugging away and asking more people. eventually the yesses will start coming.

Z

ZumbroKid

twister said:
Pete is that in WIlliamson County or Maury County

HH Twister
Here is the story of the lost wedding ring. The county is Williamson i believe, it is right near Franklin. Just south on Columbia pike. Maybe if we can get someone like Gypsy to find a online map will help. This gravel road is about 1 1/2 -2 miles long. It comes off Columbia pike and goes East. There is a ridge on the left, fields on the right. As you go down the road their is a older house on the left, and a little bit further 1-2 trailers and a barn. Then a little bit more there is a old cemetary on the left. Just past that is an old ruin of a house (site of ring). The gravel road takes a turn south, then joins a paved road. This is an Family home for the Hood Family. The story is in the old days the Mother had been washing dishes and threw the water to slop the hogs and realized her wedding ring was gone. It was never found. Check into this one. I believe to get the Mother's wedding ring back, they should give you permission.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your head up, twister. I've been there. Like the saying goes , "This too shall pass".

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Hey Twister, try shaving & tucking that long hair under a ball cap, also dont wear your SLAYER & IRON MAIDEN concert tee's when asking for permission. For some reason that seems to scare people! Oh.........& take that sterling pentagram earing out & put it in yer pocket! ;D lol Just kidding Twister, keep at it & you will get to some great spots!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hey Twister
If you are looking for that Hood Farm that Pete was talking about, go online to the county Historical society and look up their name on the site...they have all kinds of maps and plats ,records for that area.
I am not familiar with what county you are actually looking for Pete.
Williamson

http://www.tngenweb.org/williamson/resources/histsoc.html

Franklin
http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/society.htm

Maury
http://historicmaury.org/index_files/historichomes.html

Good Luck and hope you find it! looks like there are some great places to hunt near Nashville

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get to the point quickly. Ask for permission to metal detect the grounds on their property. Tell them how they will benefit, trash removal, offer to find a lost item, promise to try to return any items that can be identified, tell them you will not leave any traces. If they stall in answering Ask if they have any questions. Be as honest as you can. If they start talking it is a good sign so just listen and be patient. Finally no one gets permission to all the places they ask to hunt. Just keep asking and enjoy your next hunt.

Ed Donovan

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Mighty AP said:
Hey Twister, try shaving & tucking that long hair under a ball cap, also dont wear your SLAYER & IRON MAIDEN concert tee's when asking for permission. For some reason that seems to scare people! Oh.........& take that sterling pentagram earing out & put it in yer pocket! ;D lol Just kidding Twister, keep at it & you will get to some great spots!
Dont listen to him Twister...LOL
Its the guys in the business suits and sunglasses that scare me when they show up on my doorstep!

Z

ZumbroKid

I can make a call and get the phone number to contact over the lost ring search. They might give the ok to search.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya twister! When I first started my first contact said "Thanks for the offer but NO!" :P Here in my area it's almost impossible to get permission unless you know the person well.

Now mostly I hunt "public" or "state" lands.

Now I do want to be careful here because I know we have some sensitive readers here but here's a little advice by way of the greatest song ever written for THers. It's even better than the BUD commercials!

You put your right hand in,
You put your right hand out,
You put your right hand in,
And you shake it all about,

You do the treasure huntie
and you turn yourself around
That what it's all about.

2) left hand
3) right foot
4) left foot
5) head
6) butt
7) whole self

Ya! ;D

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
lmao badger that was great, i actually even mimicked the dance, its great how soo many minds think the same;)+

Z

ZumbroKid

Hey, Twister, Just got off the phone with you, and called Northern Wisconsin and got the name of the party to contact over the ring hunt. Will private message the rest of info, do not want to start a stampede over there.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Twister, have you tried a wig and a short skirt method yet? ;D

The short skirt works for me....never been turned down. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread