131.2 KB · Views: 421
  • php33t37SPM.jpg
    php33t37SPM.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

VERY COOL FINDS!!! :hello2:

I hate to ask this but, how do you know if an antler is old or new. I mean, how can you tell if it is one used as a tool as opposed to one broken off from some scuffle and laying around? :dontknow:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking finds Ryan. Three really nice Shell Disc Beads. Does the Antler piece show wear on the end? Congrats on the finds and on finding the nice looking shelter. You going to try to get permission to dig around in it?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Here's the backside of the tine. I probably should have said possible flaking tool, but because of the patina, condition, lack of marrow and most importantly imo the association in which it was found I think it's a flaking tool. It does have slight wear at the tip, it's subtle but you can feel it.

Appreciate the comments.

Attachments

• phpXNRydfPM.jpg
    phpXNRydfPM.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 383

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought from what I could see in the 1st picture of it that it had wear on the tip. I'm sure you're right and it was utilized as a flaking tool. Most of the pieces we find on our sites show evidence of being used as Flakers.

in.rockhntr

Feb 28, 2011
SE IN.
SRV said:
I thought from what I could see in the 1st picture of it that it had wear on the tip. I'm sure you're right and it was utilized as a flaking tool. Most of the pieces we find on our sites show evidence of being used as Flakers.
What a great day you had there. The bone piece looks ground down to a point to me and definately a tool, but I'm no expert. Love them shots out in the field. Wish I'd taken some back in the day.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Felinepeachy said:
VERY COOL FINDS!!! :hello2:

I hate to ask this but, how do you know if an antler is old or new. I mean, how can you tell if it is one used as a tool as opposed to one broken off from some scuffle and laying around? :dontknow:

The most important factor imo is context in which it was found. Signs of usewear is key to determining if it's an artifact or just a natural geofact. Hope that helps some. Nothing wrong with asking questions, they help us learn.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
SRV said:

Good eye, it has a worn down groove like you see on some pressure flaking tools and other subtle signs of usewear.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
in.rockhntr said:
SRV said:
What a great day you had there. The bone piece looks ground down to a point to me and definately a tool, but I'm no expert. Love them shots out in the field. Wish I'd taken some back in the day.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds man.............Makes ya wonder if the rest of the necklace is around there. Two in one spot I think it is highly likely there could be more in that spot. Nice antler billet and nice triangles. That looks like the same flint i find up my way. That shelter is looking like a new dig in the making........PALEO,PALEO,PALEO................I can hear it...............That would be sweet to see a fine Redstone pulled out of that shelter.................................Get diggin brotha!!!...........................GTP

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Thirty7, looks like you find quite a variety on your site, nice insitus too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread