Recycling your boxes

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I haven't seen this topic discussed before.. I am sure it has at some point, but I just wanted to get everyones feedback on the issue. The one thing that has always really bothered me about this hobby is the waste of paper and boxes. For awhile I lived in an area that recycles cardboard, but the area I am living now doesn't and will only accept cans and plastics from homes.. You can call me a tree hugger or whatever you want, but regardless I am truly bothered that I am being so wasteful.. What are your thoughts and or techniques used to be more environmentally friendly? Could you care less about the waste you are creating? Do you try to find a recycling facility that is near a dump bank? Either way I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss..

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a dumpster by my work that is for cardboard recycling that I make dumps at. I put it in there so people don't think I have thousands and thousands of dollars in my house (I don't, so might as well avoid disappointing a thief). Recycling is good; throwing out your boxes from your house is not.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree.. I am thinking maybe I should just sneak behind a wallmart or target and recycle them every week.. I just don't want to be spending money driving to a facility

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I have about 15 cardboard penny boxes laying around in my bedroom...I should probably throw those away. well, you know how I feel about the topic.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
ColonialCravings said:
Hey everyone, I haven't seen this topic discussed before.. I am sure it has at some point, but I just wanted to get everyones feedback on the issue. The one thing that has always really bothered me about this hobby is the waste of paper and boxes. For awhile I lived in an area that recycles cardboard, but the area I am living now doesn't and will only accept cans and plastics from homes.. You can call me a tree hugger or whatever you want, but regardless I am truly bothered that I am being so wasteful.. What are your thoughts and or techniques used to be more environmentally friendly? Could you care less about the waste you are creating? Do you try to find a recycling facility that is near a dump bank? Either way I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss..

Not being smart about this but I burn all my boxes, wrappers and other trash.
I personally could care less about "going green" nor do I care about being friendly to our environment.
This movement has become a religion in our country and has hurt many industries including the auto industry. The "green" movement produces inferior products and my line of work had suffered from it.
I don't celebrate earth day either, if someone wants to chain themselves to a tree ill be more than happy to provide a lock and keep the key.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill mine with rocks and brown tape them back up. Then I put them on the ground outside the bank in a bad neighborhood

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I burn the paper when I can.l

I'm done feeling bad.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there would be someone to chime in that way.. You are entitled to your opinion..

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could completely see myself burning boxes but I don't have a property that would allow me to do that..

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recycle, but I don't need the neighbors/garbage knowing the nature of my habit.

I was trying to get a little reaction - I don't do boxes, so I don't have that issue.

Also, washington, is the land of paper. I support the local economy by using paper bags, and paper towels. paper napkins, and coin sleeves! love it here.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
ColonialCravings said:
I could completely see myself burning boxes but I don't have a property that would allow me to do that..

I do have the property to burn and I take advantage of it.
I've seen personally the harmful affects of recycling and environmental protection, both roads lead to the same place. I have family in the timber business and you wouldn't believe the stipulations they have follow.
I detest the theory of save a tree pay your bill online. I pay my bills online and get the paper bill in the mail- guess what, someone got paid for delivering that piece of mail!
See I do my part, now to be facetious about the subject, just think if every person threw a piece of trash along the road. Can you imagine how many jobs that would create, to pay a person to work, what an idea!
Don't get me wrong, I don't litter but simply illustrating a point.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally could care less about "going green" nor do I care about being friendly to our environment.
This movement has become a religion in our country and has hurt many industries including the auto industry. The "green" movement produces inferior products and my line of work had suffered from it.
I don't celebrate earth day either, if someone wants to chain themselves to a tree ill be more than happy to provide a lock and keep the key.

I share your sentiments on this subject. There is a lot more to the Green movement than meets the eye. Beware!

As for my boxes, I return the rolled coin back to the bank in the boxes as I do not have access to a free coin counter.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonialCravings said:

Throw em in the fireplace? There, recycled.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree with you and am well aware of the politics involved in the environmental programs, but I also believe we should try to conserve our resources if possible... I guess I am more concerned with creating much more trash to be handled and taken to a dump.. Burning the boxes would be fantastic.. Just another reason I need to get myself a piece of land..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I do recycle, but, I do burn my boxes and wrappers, I just don't want someone to see them in a recycle bin or my trash, or at the local land fill and start wondering where these boxes are coming from. I think that (and I'm not being paranoid here) it could draw more attention to the hobby, or in my recycle bin, more attention to my house, thats why I burn mine. HH, Maverick.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gunner45 said:

Gunner, I don't like tree huggers and people more worried about the environment then they are about people. That being said, I like to recycle, whenever I can. Also I work in the paper industry that uses 100% waste paper to make our products. If the option to recycle is there, I say use it.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smh...

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PhattyB said:
I fill mine with rocks and brown tape them back up. Then I put them on the ground outside the bank in a bad neighborhood

LOL do you really?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread