Recycling your boxes

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I haven't seen this topic discussed before.. I am sure it has at some point, but I just wanted to get everyones feedback on the issue. The one thing that has always really bothered me about this hobby is the waste of paper and boxes. For awhile I lived in an area that recycles cardboard, but the area I am living now doesn't and will only accept cans and plastics from homes.. You can call me a tree hugger or whatever you want, but regardless I am truly bothered that I am being so wasteful.. What are your thoughts and or techniques used to be more environmentally friendly? Could you care less about the waste you are creating? Do you try to find a recycling facility that is near a dump bank? Either way I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss..

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill mine with rocks and brown tape them back up. Then I put them on the ground outside the bank in a bad neighborhood

Now this is the best idea ever. It's like the old trick of super glueing a quarter to the ground and then sit back and watch bums try to pry it up! Pure entertainment!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you calling me a bum? Lol Just Kidding.

Lol no, have you fallen for that one before? I like the dollar bill on the fishing line trick also. Hide around the corner of a building on a breezy day and its can be a good time.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a dumpster by my work that is for cardboard recycling that I make dumps at. I put it in there so people don't think I have thousands and thousands of dollars in my house (I don't, so might as well avoid disappointing a thief). Recycling is good; throwing out your boxes from your house is not.

I always put mine on the top of the garbage. It would be the worst day ever for a robber to try and steal my safe.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wilmingtonsilver said:
I don't waste paper or boxes. I re-roll them in the same wrappers and use the box to carry the wrapped rolls into the bank.

Im pretty sure ive gotten a few rewrapped boxes, really annoying.. Do you dump with a brinks bank?

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the paper from the rolls back in the box, close the box and then put it in the large trash cans next to the pumps at the gas station. It can take up to a dozen boxes. an alternative is to put the boxes in a transparent bag and leave in front of your least favorite neightbor's house on trash day.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a topic dear to my heart. I feel the big boys that do 60+ boxes a week are creating a huge environmental mess with thier greed. If youre going to take the boxes and the wrappers and no reuse them you're creating waste.

I always rewrap and dump with the box when possible (if they take them in one deposit without send off). When they don't I shread the boxes and put in the composter for making new soil for my wife's garden. Same for wrapper for thing I dont rewrap like penny rolls.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What boxes I don't use to hold my silver in my safe I deposit in trash cans at a gas station in another city. I guess I'll start recycleing though. I'm not a treehugger but I don't believe in waste either.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda like driving a Prius, which ends up producing more pollution and environmental damage, indirectly, than driving a internal-combustion gasoline engine.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a topic dear to my heart. I feel the big boys that do 60+ boxes a week are creating a huge environmental mess with thier greed. If youre going to take the boxes and the wrappers and no reuse them you're creating waste.

LMAO

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

I always rewrap and dump with the box when possible (if they take them in one deposit without send off). When they don't I shread the boxes and put in the composter for making new soil for my wife's garden. Same for wrapper for thing I dont rewrap like penny rolls.

I'll be very honest and make the claim that I never recycled anything, so I guess you could say that I'm extremely wasteful. Truthfully, you know yourself that you'll never do anything to improve the environment no matter how hard you try. The Lord made trees to make things out of and use for heat. We use the "natural" resources that only He could provide and if we omitted all emissions from our cars it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Take for example Gods joke on mankind. Americans think global and act locally by spreading their religion then out of blue a volcano erupts and sends 500 years worth of toxic gases/emission into the atmosphere.
Something to think about isn't it?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be very honest and make the claim that I never recycled anything, so I guess you could say that I'm extremely wasteful. Truthfully, you know yourself that you'll never do anything to improve the environment no matter how hard you try. The Lord made trees to make things out of and use for heat. We use the "natural" resources that only He could provide and if we omitted all emissions from our cars it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Take for example Gods joke on mankind. Americans think global and act locally by spreading their religion then out of blue a volcano erupts and sends 500 years worth of toxic gases/emission into the atmosphere.
Something to think about isn't it?

Yes it is. I am definitely thinking something. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread