REDs PATRIOTIC BUNKER

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red? am I allowed to visit? ( if you say no I will respect it and stay away)

I'm not much into hunting ( although I like to watch meateater). I do fish some. I hunt arrowheads and this year I put my salt block under a tree with low branches hoping to snag some sheds. Anyone have suggestions on finding sheds?

Jeff all are welcome on any thread as long as rules are obeyed.....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody is welcome here jeff,just obey the thread rules is all I ask.

Find em quick before the rodents get to them.They dont last long.Try your hand at hunting sometime jeff,you just may need it someday.

thanks Red. I have hunted, just not that into it. Maybe if I had someone who liked dressing them better than me..

am i right that sheds are dropped in jan and feb?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking the trail around my property and found a skull from a nice 7 point about 2 months ago. The rest of him was there too.. just a little scattered. ( looked to be dead about 6 months or so,, maybe early last spring.)

But usually when I find one shed the other isn't that far away, and I find all over, even in the middle of the pasture? I don't know any reasoning to where they show up, except you seem to find more in swampy areas? And like Red said, critters eat em up, specially darn squirrels.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For sheds ,and figure your drop time estimate is close Jeff, look in bedding areas, feeding areas and especially any where a sharp drop or hill is hit regular or a fence jumped along the deer runways.
Some dogs take to finding them , mine get elk antler cut up on occasion to gnaw.
Spring mushrooming turned up the couple last I found, one in heavy brush, one on a bed of pine needles.
The earth ,especially when damp can reclaim them fast,first they get chalky then break down quick.
A matched pair continues to elude here.
Good luck! A friend used to find them when snow melted in the cut corn field.
During the coldest part of winter and after hunting pressure ceased they were bedding close to field.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL most things down there are smaller than normal
I beg to differ-

giant_african_land_snail.JPG

r-RATS-large570.jpg
iguana-hunting.jpg
Big%20Gator.jpg
Florida-Python-Steve-Gooch.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moose up here start shedding their antlers in late Oct-Nov., have found several cruising the Mountains during deer season. Deer sheds are harder to find since their range is so vast here. Best place is to locate a wintering sanctuary.....Gary

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff-gordon; Anyone have suggestions on finding sheds?[/QUOTE said:
Deer, especially Whitetail deer spend the winter in a core area where food is available at the least amount of travel that i needed to get to it. Try not to enter this area while they are trying to live through the winter or you may cause them to waste the needed energy reserves to make through the hard part of the winter.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, couldn't agree more, deer are under extreme stress during the winter months.
Here In Vt. the yarding areas have been Id'd, mapped and are protected.

In some research that I did a number of years ago, found that deer find these ares by learning from the elders of the herd.
Have a couple mild winters where they don't need to yard, and the older deer have been removed, and the population doesn't use
the established areas because they don't know where it is. They will eventually discover the location, and reestablish the chain.
Truly a remarkable species.....Gary

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Red? am I allowed to visit? ( if you say no I will respect it and stay away)

I'm not much into hunting ( although I like to watch meateater). I do fish some. I hunt arrowheads and this year I put my salt block under a tree with low branches hoping to snag some sheds. Anyone have suggestions on finding sheds?

Ya,

Get there for the mice do!:laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shoot I catch those barehanded like turtleman