Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
VAM refers to Van Allen and Mallis, who did extensive research regarding errors. Each year may have several VAM's attributed to it. Some are errors, some are die discrepancies. The most sought after VAM for that year is the VAM 4, which is an O over O mintmark.

Some are quite rare, and command substantial premiums. Others not so much.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are the numbers like a system say #4=mintmark no matter what the year is? And what is the letter after the number for? I guess I need to find a book that tells this all to me.
But for now what does the 11R mean?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Several times during the Morgan series they would change the design of either the obverse or the reverse.

Sometimes, after the change, an old die was used in the following year. So you have varieties like 1879 with a reverse of 1878 on it.

I'm assuming the "11R 83 Tilted O" would mean "VAM 11, Reverse of 1883, with a tilted O mintmark". Best guess would be the R stands with the 83, not the 11. If that makes any sense. Maybe their spacing was off.

My book on Morgans does not specify a design change that year.

Another idea is that some VAMs have distinctions within the groups. VAM 1, VAM 1B, VAM 1C, etc. Although going all the way up to R would be a stretch.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
that actually makes a little more sense to me now. I am just amazed at how much new information I am learning on TN. I think I am going to try to dig up some info now. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
You're welcome :)

BTW, a couple good books for Morgans and VAMs-

"The top 100 Morgan dollar varieties: The VAM Keys" By Michael S. Fey and Jeff Oxman

And

"Morgan Silver Dollars" by Q. David Bowers, probably the most respected authority on the Morgan series.

Neither mention your Vam 11, but if you're thinking about collecting Morgans in general, they're invaluable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread