Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! Finally got the pics LOADED!

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Hey all,

Alan in St. Louis, Gregd573, and I went out this weekend to a well known Civil War Spot. Needless to say it's probably been hunted by a thousand people for a thousand years. I know there have been other things found there besides bullets but not very much in any variety. A few coins, a ring I think and no buttons that I know of. Anyway, we all met before daybreak on Sunday. Believe it or not it was 66 degrees when I got into my truck to leave at 0530. Amazing!!!! There was rain in the forcast, which came down in torrents after we had left. We got lucky as it only sprinkled a few times but not enough to force us too stop hunting. We only hunted for about 4 hours but it was long enough for us all to leave with some bullets and ofcourse some iron.
Now, I only know a few things about CW bullets... For instance, I know there are .58s and .69s..... I have found a few of both. I have also found some round balls. This hunt was a little different, I found some different bullets. Some I had never seen before. Baldingboy sent me a website in order for me to try and identify them but theres no way. Alot of the bullets look the same and I have no way of weighing them or figuring out the diameter. So, out of the crappy pics I took I'm hoping some of y'all can help me out.... Here are a few pics... I don't have a great camera and can't really take closeups so these pics probably won't be any help. In pic one, below the square nail are what I think are .69s.... There are different from the .69s I had found in the past in that they only have two rings and are very deeply molded. Maybe a Gardner Patent .69 Deep Cavity???? Anyone agree??? The only this is that these were CSA bullets. Also in the first pic you'll see the lone .69 in the middle. It has the traditional 3 rings but is rounded on top and not pointed like some I'd found in the past. To the right of it are the .69s that I had been use to finding. Pic one bottom left are three bullets that are new too me. The are smaller caliber and I have no clue what they were shot from. The lone middle bullet too the right of those three was shot but is plainly in the teardrop pattern. You can tell by the pic that it was cut from the mold there at the bottom. To the right of it are what we thought may be buck and ball or grape shot....????? Those may be one in the same thing....I don't know... See, told you I don't know squat about CW bullets. And to the right of the grape shot is a round ball that I believe has teeth marks on it. I couldn't get a good close up so I know you guys won't be able to help with that one......I've added a few more pics....maybe y'all will be able to make something out in those for a possible ID....
As I said, we all had a great time and all left with bullets. It was a great hunt. Hopefully Alan and Greg will post their finds also. We are supposed to do this again in the next couple weeks. Hopefully we'll have some more bullets and maybe a button or two to show you all..... Thank you Alan and Greg for a great hunt!!!!! Until the next post....Good luck all!!!!

HH,

ridge_runner

Attachments

• Bullets Pic 001.JPG
    Bullets Pic 001.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Bullets Pic 002.JPG
    Bullets Pic 002.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Bullets Pic 005.JPG
    Bullets Pic 005.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Bullets Pics 008.JPG
    Bullets Pics 008.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Bullets Pics 009.JPG
    Bullets Pics 009.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Bullets Pics 010.JPG
    Bullets Pics 010.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Bullets Pics 011.JPG
    Bullets Pics 011.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,140
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Re: Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! We all found bullets!!!!!!

rebelLT said:
Good finds there.....I think! Whats the deal with not being able to load photos? ???. I have found a few "two ringers" here in SE Kansas in Bourbon County around Fort Scott. I would post a pic for you to compare though I cant seem to POST THE PIC. I cant help you with the id. Just another great find bud! I sent you an email with pics.

Hey Rebel,

Don't know why folks weren't able to load fotos yesterday. I PM'ed Marc and he sent me a PM back saying problem was fixed. Didn't take him long. Maybe the main database or something got overloaded with pics. LOL!!!
Thanks for looking!

RR

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Lead Bud! You don't find those 2 ringer Musketoons very often. Looks like you had a really nice day of digging some Civil War history. Keep'em coming ;)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun hunt, great finds Scott. :)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Man you sure did get the pics loaded, a whole slue of them. Thanks for sharing your old stuff.

HH

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
ARE YOU SURE YOU FOUND ALL THEM BULLET'S..........LOL. Great pictures, I can see that you put way more effort in your pictures than I.......come to think of it I guess you do that in your hunting also.......as you pretty much handed me my a## on a silver platter with the amount of lead you pulled out. Hope we can do it again. HH.....greg

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
No, not particularly rare. They can be found at early Union campsites and that site is early war. The .69 cal became less common as the war dragged on and the .58 cal springfield became the standard issue rifle.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Bullets are the last thing I want to find when metal detecting for gold nuggets or coins, but if that is the kind of thing you're looking for then I'd say you had a great day detecting civil war artifacts!! Nice finds!

Kinda makes one wonder whose head got grazed or whose arm or leg one of those bullets went through.

Ray

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Re: Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! Finally got the pics LOA

Had a good time as always! Cant wait to do it again soon. I posted my finds a few minutes ago. Scott beat me on totals but I came up with a good plan didnt I Scott!!!!

It was nice to meet you Greg and I look forward to hunting with you again.

Brian - hopefuly you can get out next time. I feel you, both of my kids were born a month early and those last few weeks it was tough to go anywhere in case I had to run home!!

Alan

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff! In picture #2, what is that bar in the upper left corner? I've found a few of these and I haven't a clue what they are. Congrats on a great hunt!

Goalrush

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Goalrush said:
Nice stuff! In picture #2, what is that bar in the upper left corner? I've found a few of these and I haven't a clue what they are. Congrats on a great hunt!

Goalrush

Goalrush,

That's not actually a bar it's just a sqare nail with out the head.....Thanks for looking!!!1

HH,

RR

R

rammjäger

Hi,
Congratulations for those good finds!
I have also some Gettysburg dug bullets.All of them are "mushroom" - direct hit bullets.
Those bullets hit something: a tree,a rock ?..... I wonder: the place where you found
these "direct hit" bullets is today clean .Are there no trees or rocks? - Normally when a bullet
hits something it remains nearby on the ground.If you understand what I mean....
MfG.

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
rammjäger said:
Hi,
Congratulations for those good finds!
I have also some Gettysburg dug bullets.All of them are "mushroom" - direct hit bullets.
Those bullets hit something: a tree,a rock ?..... I wonder: the place where you found
these "direct hit" bullets is today clean .Are there no trees or rocks? - Normally when a bullet
hits something it remains nearby on the ground.If you understand what I mean....
MfG.

rammjager,

All the bullets were found on a hill with trees and rocks. At one time I think this hill may've been treeless, during the war anyway when the Fort stood there. I believe it had to've been a target practice area. There have been tons of bullets found there by many people. I'd say one out of every 20 bullets or so found there (by me anyway as far as I know) is a dropped bullet. Dropped bullets are very nice too find. The best kind of bullet to find in my opinion as I'm sure everyone feels the same. Although it's still nice to find any bullet with that history, dropped or not. Thanks for the look!

HH,

RR

R

rammjäger

These 2 ones I'm almost sure they hit some brick wall.There seem to be rest
of cement and sand in it :o
To the right: one seems to be melted in camp fire.
MfG.:
Miguel
PS::
everytime I see these old bullets,I can't help it,it comes to my mind its form
is pretty alike the italienish pasta/ ñoquis (due to its rings) ;D

Attachments

• 1318263923_36123deaed.jpg
    1318263923_36123deaed.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 591
OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Timberwolf said:
Good digs Ridge Runner ;D

TW

Thanks TW,

You ought to come up and get a few of those leads yourself. Anytime my friend. Bring your best digging tool though. I had to buy a new one because of that spot.

Take care,

RR

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice bunch of bullets. I still love diggin em. The ones labeled small caliber on the lower left of the first pic may be ringtailed sharps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread