Resault of my first open hunt :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
First off, I'd like to thank Bigrig40 for informing me of the hunt in the first place, and also, I'd like to thank the Down'N Diry Diggers, & Mike's Detectors in Geogetown, IN. for having me. I had an awesome time... It was nice meeting bigrig, he seems to be a really nice guy. Other than him trying to mess with me while I was trying to hunt. He kept putting his knife over my coil, causing me to dig, by the time I figured out there was nothing there, he was gone grabbing all the rest of the goodies... :'(
Na, he actually only did that once... ;D

I think I did pretty good, considering it was my first time at,
SPEED HUNTING.
, that's what they should call it. I had little old guys passing me by like they were in a Ferrari, and I was in a wheelchair... ;D
I accomplished two first on the hunt, my first Walker, and my first Half Dollar X 5. I always figured if I ever found either of them I would stop to glaze at their glory. This was not the case here, I didn't hardly even glance at it before I was off to try and find another. I sure did look at them after the hunt, though... ;D Also found 7 Washinton's, 6 Roosevelt's, and 1 mercury. The other two Sacagawea Dollars I found in the compition hunt... I also won one of their door prizes, which was very nice... It was a basket with several what-nots, a music box, and a good size wind sock with "USA" on it...
I hope everyone had a great Father's Day weekend, & Happy hunting to all...

Attachments

• FirstOpenHunt.JPG
    FirstOpenHunt.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Congrats on the fun time, Leon! Looks like yu did just fine for your 1st time. Next time tape or glue a coin to bigrig's coil bottom and just ;D and take off. LOL

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attended my first club hunt a couple of weeks ago and had a ball. ?I didn't recoup my entry fee but did enjoy the comraderie and picked up a few silver coins and a silver dollar to boot. ?You're right about one thing, it's a foot race. ?The way some of those guys and gals swing those coils you better get out of the way or get whacked! ?I recovered a silver Roosevelt dime under a pull tab and a guy was standing aside snickering at me. ?He said he helped seed the plot and put that dime under the pull tab to see if anyone would find it. ?Hah, he didn't fool me! ?Actually, siince I knew all of the coins were silver I had the pull tabs discriminated out on my Garrett 2500 and picked up the dime under the pull tab! ?I'd recommend trying one of these hunts if you haven't. ?You meet so many interesting people and the door prizes are great! ?They raffled off 7 detectors and several gold coins, etc, but I wasn't lucky enough to get drawn.....this time! There are some really amazing pros who make the circuit and win a bunch of prizes. ?Very interesting to talk to them. ? JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal!

HH

Lonewolfe

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
nice finds leon! looks like you had a blast!......one thing though,you said you found a pair of sacagawea dollars but in the picture those are susan b. anthony dollars (a much cooler looking coin in my opinion!) i will have to try out one of those seeded hunts someday,they sure look like fun!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for telling about how the hunts work for those of us have not been to one ,(yet).WTG on the finds!

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Looks like you really torn it up ...........you lucky dog..... ;) I'm envious

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
Very Cool Jimmi,,, I never thought about any Pro's being there, I guess if your were lucky enough, or good enough you could probably clean house... Didn't even think about it... Good job not letting that pull tab get in your way, that's showing them... ;D

Good observation hollowpointred,
I would have never known about the coins if ya hadn't brought it up. :-[? I'm not much of a coin man, I have a lot to learn...
< Did ya misspell your name on purpose?, if not I think you can change it in your profile,click on " Profile " at the top of the page,
and then go into " Account related setttings "

Any of you guys, & gals that haven't been to a seeded hunt, should at least try it once. It's a lot of fun dig'n up silver, like you were shooting fish out of a barre... It was definitely something different...
Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!! If you live near there, go back when you get a chance and clean up what was not found during the hunt!! HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Leon!!! Looks like you gonna have to get out of that wheelchair and get yourself a scooter!!!! :D

Really nice finds!!!

Nana ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
did i misspell my name leon? :P what did i spell wrong? (spelling is not my strong suit! it must be that fine delaware public education rearing its ugly head again!!)

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks again, all...
Wyane1956, I'm not too sure if any of the coins could have hid from over 70 hungry detectorist< ( spell checker didn't like this word,, looks ok to me, am I wrong?) on a football size field,,, but there may be a few that got by... ;D

Bigrig,,, I had a blast,,, sounds good about hooking up. I,m going to be kinda busy until after the 4th,, but should have some free time to be able to plan on a hunt, instead of just going out on the spur of the moment...

hollowpointred,,, It's just that when reading your post, I read your name as "hollow-pointed" wasn't sure if the "r " at the end was intentional, or not...

Nana,,, I'm in the process of putting my weed-eater motor, on some roller skate as we speak... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say you did pretty good! I'll be going to one in July. Been attending hunts since the late 70's, and always enjoyed them. Anyone who has never attended one should give it a try.

W

Westie Lover

The Open Hunt sounds like fun. How do you find one in your area?

Thanks!!

Oh, we used our Garrett 250 at a beach today. When we asked the lifeguards for permission, they said that someone had lost a gold necklace this afternoon and asked if we would look for it. That was great motivation and we had a fine time. Didn't find the necklace, but rid the beach of many nails and a fishhook.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Westie Lover, check in any recent issue of Western & Eastern under Calender of Events. They have listings all over the U.S. and each moth gets a few more listings. They run them up to 4-5 months ahead of time and list who to contact or where to get a copy of their hunt flyer. HH

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can also check the "EVENTS" section of this forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread