Return free shipping?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two items come back today. Both were shipped via free shipping. My auctions read:
Original shipping costs are non refundable, including free shipping items.

I know allowed to Ebay rules I can refund everything except what I paid for shipping. would you do it? I've only had two or three returns, and all times I forgot to keep back the shipping. This time, one was for the ugly ring that I paid $14 to ship to her. The other was $5.
EDITED TO ADD: I forgot that I don't have her money in my account, and she is going to have to wait a few days for the "check" to clear when I do the return.

This is what the whole section looks like:

Now for the nitty-gritty ~
I do not use stock photos. All pictures are of the item up for auction.
Shipping includes insurance. I want you to get your item.

BID WITH CONFIDENCE!

I want all my buyers to be completely satisfied with their purchase. Nothing is more disappointing than being stuck with an item you don't like. If you are unhappy with the item, you are welcome to send it back for a refund. Original shipping costs are non refundable, including free shipping items. Buyer needs to pay return shipping and insurance before the refund can be issued. The item must be returned in the same condition it was sent in. I can not accept returns for goods damaged by the buyer.

Thank you for looking, good luck, and please check out my other listings.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. I just don't want people mad at me for not refunding the whole thing, but why should I be out the initial shipping?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two items come back today. Both were shipped via free shipping. My auctions read:

I know allowed to Ebay rules I can refund everything except what I paid for shipping. would you do it? I've only had two or three returns, and all times I forgot to keep back the shipping. This time, one was for the ugly ring that I paid $14 to ship to her. The other was $5.
EDITED TO ADD: I forgot that I don't have her money in my account, and she is going to have to wait a few days for the "check" to clear when I do the return.

This is what the whole section looks like:

I didn't really follow this...

First, take a browse here: Creating your return policy

You say you "don't want people mad at me for not refunding the whole thing, but why should I be out the initial shipping". IMO, you cant have it both ways.

Decide what percentage of your sales will be returned and try to come up with a cost associated with this number. That number should be factored in to your overhead which you can then use when pricing your items.

Remember, it takes money to make money.

IMO, unless you are selling a massive amount of items, I would just take it on a "case by case" basis and make a decision that makes the most sense on every sale/return.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on why the item was returned. If the item is significantly not as described, then you should refund the buyer the full amount, including shipping, and if you want the item back, return shipping. If the buyer just changes mind, and they want to return, then they should be refunded the original purchase price, and return on their dime.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It all depends on why the item was returned. If the item is significantly not as described, then you should refund the buyer the full amount, including shipping, and if you want the item back, return shipping. If the buyer just changes mind, and they want to return, then they should be refunded the original purchase price, and return on their dime.
They both didn't like the jewelry.
I wrote a very nice note to each lady (same one, actually) saying I'm sorry you didn't like the piece, blah blah, I am refunding your money less the initial shipping as stated in the auction. Neither complained. The one who paid $475 left me the nicest feedback. I felt real bad after that, because I didn't have the money in my account any more, so she ended up with an e-check. PP took their time giving it back to her. Days and days and days, way longer than usual. I know there was a holiday in there. It was supposed to be returned to her on the 26th, and she got it yesterday.
Yeah, case by case. I guess I was thinking too much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread