🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_7805.jpeg

made the hike to my new old site deep in the woods twice more this week. The finds started slowing down, but still was able to recover some interesting treasures. The seeted dime is my oldest seated. Does anyone have any clue as to what the cast brass J item is. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7806.jpeg
    IMG_7806.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7800.jpeg
    IMG_7800.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7812.jpeg
    IMG_7812.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7813.jpeg
    IMG_7813.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 35

dalrem

Sep 4, 2023
Central PA
View attachment 2107684
made the hike to my new old site deep in the woods twice more this week. The finds started slowing down, but still was able to recover some interesting treasures. The seeted dime is my oldest seated. Does anyone have any clue as to what the cast brass J item is. Thanks.
A great find. I envy the people who make these kind of finds. I can only wish.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2107684
Great finds. Love that dime.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great find. I envy the people who make these kind of finds. I can only wish.
Thx, I see you live in Central PA, lots of old stuff and CW relics around. Look into your county’s 1800’s maps and tax surveys, also try Penn Pilot for aerial images. If you put the time in on researching you might find a local park or 2 in your area that had an old farm house 200 years ago, then you are on it. Good luck!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got a great site there. Once the killing frost sets in your gonna have a field day there.
Thx, you nailed it. I think this site has a couple more hunts in it after the foliage dies out.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That dime is a great find and a Key Date coin....worth at least several hundred dollars!!!
Thx! Yeah, this is the first coin that I have found in 7 years of digging that appears to have some serious key date value. I was surprised.

dalrem

Sep 4, 2023
Central PA
Thx, I see you live in Central PA, lots of old stuff and CW relics around. Look into your county’s 1800’s maps and tax surveys, also try Penn Pilot for aerial images. If you put the time in on researching you might find a local park or 2 in your area that had an old farm house 200 years ago, then you are on it. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I have researched old county maps of the 1800s which do show locations of old houses and property tax records of old homes and when they were built.

Do you have problems with property owners when they realize you have to cut plugs out to get to your finds?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. I have researched old county maps of the 1800s which do show locations of old houses and property tax records of old homes and when they were built.

Do you have problems with property owners when they realize you have to cut plugs out to get to your finds?
All of my hunts are in the woods in Allegheny County area parks, metal detecting is allowed. It’s been a while since I cut a plug in grass. Finding public land where MDing is permitted is the first step, helps narrow down the research. GL

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on some Great Saves. The 1843 dime was produced the same year my Great-Great Grandfather was born, a Confetrit' soldier who served in the 44th Ga. Volunteer Infantry, Co. D Army of Northern Va. 1862-1865. All very Nice Saves, but the dime would have to be my favorite. Continued Success to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread