maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats pretty cool, is that the real deal? I've never seen anyone post one of his marked coins, if he marked them like that. HH, Maverick.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Okie115 said:
Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question but who is Rich Hartford?

Rich, God rest his soul, was one of the pioneers on this site. He commented on my very first post I ever made on here. He always had kind uplifting things to say. He passed away suddenly in 2011 (I think).

HH

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question but who is Rich Hartford?

Search some of his old posts, they are definitely worth reading. He was a great coin roll hunter and an even better guy.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone verify if this is his for sure? It seems unlikely someone would copy his name, but who knows maybe this is a tribute to him. Does anyone from back in the day know if he marked coins, and if so how many? has anyone else found one of these?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart just skipped a beat. I don't post often, but I could not help but post. He was a good friend who is dearly missed.

He was the King of CRH, but more than that, he was a good man that loved his family and took time to help all of us on the Net. And, he had the best sense of humor to boot. This was in the old days when folks were a tad kinder to each other on the Net.

apush

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart just skipped a beat. I don't post often, but I could not help but post. He was a good friend who is dearly missed.

He was the King of CRH, but more than that, he was a good man that loved his family and took time to help all of us on the Net. And, he had the best sense of humor to boot. This was in the old days when folks were a tad kinder to each other on the Net.

apush

Thanks for posting apush, I'll do what I can to keep the example he set on Tnet. He seemed like a real straight shooter, always honest and straightforward

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba Steve would know for sure, if he is still lurking. I really doubt that Rich marked any of his coins, he just wasn't like that.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I think this coin may be someone making a "tribute" to Rich after his passing back about a year ago.
Rich was so well liked by everyone on this forum and always had time to answer everyone's questions
with a hilarious pun or two. His unique CRHing adventures were an inspiration to us all and his sense
of humor was second to none. Rich....you are truly missed and someone finding a coin with your name
on it is a reminder that you are looking down on us all. Stay well friend and R.I.P.

To "Silverforbrains", I'd keep that coin and put it in a round plastic airtight holder. Then take it with you
whenever you go to pick up your half boxes. Could be a dynamic "Good luck sign".
Stay well everyone,
rileyboy

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this coin may be someone making a "tribute" to Rich after his passing back about a year ago.
Rich was so well liked by everyone on this forum and always had time to answer everyone's questions
with a hilarious pun or two. His unique CRHing adventures were an inspiration to us all and his sense
of humor was second to none. Rich....you are truly missed and someone finding a coin with your name
on it is a reminder that you are looking down on us all. Stay well friend and R.I.P.

To "Silverforbrains", I'd keep that coin and put it in a round plastic airtight holder. Then take it with you
whenever you go to pick up your half boxes. Could be a dynamic "Good luck sign".
Stay well everyone,
rileyboy

Thanks rileyboy, I plan to keep it with me on all my wheeling and dealing endeavors as a good luck omen and also as a tribute to Rich. I've dealt with too many people passing away in the last few years, and I can appreciate the little things that let you know their legacy is still out there, and while they're not here anymore they had a big impact on the world. That definitely is true for Rich

HH

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FWIW, Rich had some insight that the newer members have missed out on. It would be worthwhile to read through his posts and learn from a veteran. One of his tips was to carry some Indian Head Cents that were in good shape, but still a common date coin that wasn't worth much. When encountering a silver sniping teller, he would show them the IHC. The tellers would equate a coin being 50 years older as being more valuable than the common 64 Kennedy in their tray. Even swap and Rich would be ahead of the deal. Stop by a LCS and pick up some IHCs for the next go around.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, I've learned a lot of strategy from reading Rich's posts

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone remember the thread where Rich posted he dressed up in a suit, had a pipe in his mouth, and said he had a Ph.D. and researched coins? That is what he told tellers. I laughed so hard I cried. He got silver :)

LOL and good memories,
apush

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of his better stories was when he was wheeling his cart out of the vault and his sneakers squeaked.....:laughing7:

That was classic Rich.....R.I.P. my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread