"Ring doorbell and run". Remember this one?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
"Ring doorbell and run". Remember this one?

Many months ago, some of you may remember when a few kids did this to my house, and I went down the street to find them, and told them the proper way to do it, which doesn't include, "hang out behind the bush in the persons front yard".

We'll sadly, it's caught on to a few of the other neighbor kids as well that are much older (highschool?), and now I, as well as my neighbors get this crap about once a week. It's getting rather old and tiresome. So, I decided to put my brain to work and am now putting together a device that tells me when anyone comes near the front door. As I was thinking of this today, the name of this new device suddenly popped into my head without any trouble at all. I believe this name comes from the constant angry feeling I get as I walk down the street to find these now well hidden kids... and I apologize if it offends anyone, but this new device will be called The Kid Killer.
This device will chirp away inside my house when someone even starts to approach the front door. So if I hear it go off, I'll run to the front door and and be ready to jump out as soon as they ring the doorbell.

I created a monster, and now I have to destroy it.

I'm not sure what to do when I catch them though... perhaps a 'citizens arrest'? Perhaps take their cell phone and make a long distance call to china in front of them? or perhaps give them a stern warning? I dont' know what I'll do, but it has to stop.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Re: "Ring doorbell and run". Remember this one?

A game cam will work just fine to identify the kids and then tell their parents that the next time they ring and run, you will be contacting the local police and news paper. And the networks dumbest criminals.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Seamuss said:
A game cam will work just fine to identify the kids and then tell their parents that the next time they ring and run, you will be contacting the local police and news paper. And the networks dumbest criminals.

Yep. I agree... but again, If you saw me going into an open field with a ski mask.......

;-)

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

Leave the ski mask off for a week and film the kids. The parents don't want the publicity of a court case and will do anything to keep it out of the paper that their bad parents that let their kids run amuck.

B

BIG61AL

you could just rig up a sprinkler with a valve in the hose which you could hold in your hand and when the door rings let em have with ice cold water....should work well with salespeople too.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

Rig up a darn PA system that shouts put your hands up and step away from the door walking backwards. Your under arrest. Rig some flashing lights also. Make sure that your game cam is catching all of this also to see whom is running from your door step.

Other wise, live with it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HaHaHa !

You asked for It :D

A Motion Light
Pointing Towards the Direction they would Enter Towards
Your doorbell Should
Scare the Crap out of them the first time
they attempt it

& after that they'll just get a kick
out of it Popping on & Forget the doorbell

T

trish76642

Motion sensor lights are cheap, best thing since sliced bread.

My daddy had a genorator stolen from his garage, so he put up motion sensor lights all around his house, you walk up in his yard now and you'd think you were stepping out on a Friday Night Football field.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

~trish~ said:
Motion sensor lights are cheap, best thing since sliced bread.

My daddy had a genorator stolen from his garage, so he put up motion sensor lights all around his house, you walk up in his yard now and you'd think you were stepping out on a Friday Night Football field.
It helps the game cam film every little thing.

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006

As much as I hate to admit it, when I was a young we used to play the knock and run game, however we added a little twist to it, we would put an egg on there door knob then ring the bell. When they opened the door the egg would fall and break at there feet. Was fun until we got caught, Dad didn't think it was too funny either, my back side definitely regretted it too.

MSgt

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like the sensor the cheapest then if they keep it up the sprinkler! :laughing7: LOL!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MSgtUSAF said:
As much as I hate to admit it, when I was a young we used to play the knock and run game, however we added a little twist to it, we would put an egg on there door knob then ring the bell. When they opened the door the egg would fall and break at there feet. Was fun until we got caught, Dad didn't think it was too funny either, my back side definitely regretted it too.

MSgt

Knocking & Running, Egg or not,
is alot Friendlier & Cleaner then Fireing a Few Shots through
the windows & Speeding away in a car

or an M-100 Connected to a lit Cig in the Mailbox. :tongue3:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Had a Friend with this problem a while back before they had cheap motion sensors but he already had a set for his garage. So he set them up pointing in the right direction then hot wired them to a buzzer in his bedroom. Decided he wanted to really get the point through to the kids that were waking him up at all hours of the night. So he got three large bags of trash saved up and his camera and set them by the front door. When he finally heard the buzzer go off and it actually was the kids,(lots of animal false alarms) He opened the door as soon as he heard the door bell and quickly snapped of four or five shots of the little turds as they ran away. Then he took all that trash and spread it all over his front lawn. Then called the police and gave them all the picture evidence and told them he'd staked out the front porch for five nights straight to get the pics but they had already spread the Garbage all around. Took the police all of 23 hours to have all four kids involved at his fron door parents included with offers to have the kids clean up the garbage and assurances that it would never happen again or police would charge them.

Mind you I don't advocate the lying part, but it helps to show these punks that you can out punk them any day of the week, it sure worked for my friend ! ;D

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

Treasure hunt the yard before you ring the door bell. There is no fun running real fast from a prank emty handed.

Come on and show me that you have a real sense of humor. Or you can take lesson from a pro. From someone like, oh...me.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Just draw a chalk outline of a body on your sidewalk and stain it wit something red. Some police tape hanging around would help too. Good luck ;D

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WE USED TO CALL IT "DING DONG DITCH". ON MORE THAN 1 OCCASSION WE TERRORIZED ALL OUR NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENTS. WE WOULD RING THE BELL, RUN, AND HIDE, BUT ONLY FEET AWAY SO THAT WHEN THE DOOR CLOSED WE WOULD RUN UP AND HIT AGAIN. WAS GREAT UNTIL WE GOT CAUGHT AND DRAGGED HOME WHERE DADS BELT AWAITED.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread