🔎 UNIDENTIFIED River Hunt for Rocks

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headed out to the river yesterday. One of my favorite spots.
IMG_4466.jpeg

Right away my partner finds this rock. I thinks it’s called a septarian. It might be interesting when cut.
IMG_4464.jpeg

I found a nice tabular piece of flint. I might try chipping it.
IMG_4483.jpeg

I found these 2 crusty rocks. The top might be agate, not sure. Will eventually cut it and see what’s inside.
IMG_4467.jpeg

I found this little rock with crystals. I think it’s pegmatite. I brought it home and polished it into a rough ball shape. It has one black tourmaline crystal and several purple crystals. Amethyst?
IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg
IMG_4481.jpeg

It was a nice day and we were happy to spend a couple of hours out there.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: This rock my friend found was interesting.
IMG_4730.jpeg

My old saw finally died and I’ve ordered a new 16” slab saw. While waiting for that, I ground a window and polished it. I realized after polishing that this is a breccia and a really nice one. I find conglomerates often but breccias are more rare in my area.
IMG_4731.jpeg
IMG_4734.jpeg

Upvote 9

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've got a concrete counter top in the kitchen a guy we know made. He made it in his back yard and used crushed materials he got at the local sand and gravel supplier. I asked him if he could use larger boulders. He said that would require a lot more prep and tools such as rock saws, which he didn't have. He built the forms and poured the mix in and polished ours down with hand held angle grinder using a variation of grit wheels to smooth it all out. I thought of all kinds of ways with the right equipment to create this type of concrete tops using different rocks one could find. The redish top is mine and the one with larger rocks is an image I found online.

Attachments

• 20240418_062920.jpg
    20240418_062920.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • fddc6e9434e982e3d8f4f83c1409029b.jpg
    fddc6e9434e982e3d8f4f83c1409029b.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 2
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've got a concrete counter top in the kitchen a guy we know made. He made it in his back yard and used crushed materials he got at the local sand and gravel supplier. I asked him if he could use larger boulders. He said that would require a lot more prep and tools such as rock saws, which he didn't have. He built the forms and poured the mix in and polished ours down with hand held angle grinder using a variation of grit wheels to smooth it all out. I thought of all kinds of ways with the right equipment to create this type of concrete tops using different rocks one could find. The redish top is mine and the one with larger rocks is an image I found online.
I like that idea. I won’t show my wife though. She’d put me to work making one!

Upvote 2

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea. I won’t show my wife though. She’d put me to work making one!
I'll bet she would. My wife was over at the guy who built ours house, as she is friends with his wife. She saw what her hubby had done and came home and said you should see the kitchen counter tops David and Stephanie have. That's how it all began. David is a home remodeling kind of guy and he said he did a bit of research on these concrete counter tops and decided he'll take a crack at it. It's a bit of work, but I believe you could produce other things with this technique to showcase your rock collections. Maybe some cool patio furniture 🤔

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the river yesterday. Water was up. I found a pudding stone. These are common around the Great Lakes and the glacier brought this piece all the way down to central IL. It’s pieces of red jasper that were captured by white quartz. Also found this heavy, hard and gnarly rock. I’m thinking it might be emery.?? Picked up two repairable plugs too.

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4811.jpeg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread