Rock House

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Found a small dark spot while searching the local mountain ranges on Google Earth. Punched in the Lat & Long and took a drive/hike. Found an old rock house. I can see a 1890 i believe scraped in the rock in the corner of the inside of the house. No land markers out in the hills. Is this worth taking an MD to it?

Attachments

• Rock House.jpg
    Rock House.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,109
  • Rock House 1.jpg
    Rock House 1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Rock House.jpg
    Rock House.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Rock House 1.jpg
    Rock House 1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Rock House 2.jpg
    Rock House 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Rock House 3.jpg
    Rock House 3.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,091
Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Looks like a great spot, but you said that it is in a national park area. I'm not sure where you are located, but here in north georgia where I do a lot of hiking I see places like this all the time. If that spot is in a place where there is a hiking trail, then it is most likely a shelter for hikers. Still could be old. Get a map of the forest area to see if the shelter is on it. Just my observation.

OP
OP
OPUS1

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Thanks for the tip. I am checking all possible avenues before I head out and hunt.

OPUS1

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
the reason I say this is because from the pic, I can see what looks like a trail(hiking??) and all shelters are by law not located directly on the trail. I think they are not less than 100 yards off the trail.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Be sure to check laws on National Forests

Metal Detecting is not allowed in a National Forest I think,
not sure with all the changes under new adminstration.

hate for you to get fined as it is or was a 3rd degree felony if they wished to pursue it.

Good luck on it beautiful area

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it hard if legal to do so. LOL, the tree in the tire.

Digginnit

Apr 26, 2008
Absolutley killer views. If it is park land it could have been built in the 1930's as part of the CCC work program.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
FIND OUT IF YOU CAN HUNT THERE. AND GO CK IT OUT YOU NEVER KNOW. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OPUS1

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
This is definately not hiking area. The trail was made from whoever lived there. I know this was someones home because of the small grave on a hil about 30 yards away. Looks like maybe they buried their pet ???. Turns out this is unincorporated county property. As soon as the weather clears up i'm goin.

Thanks all for your opinions and comments. I wil post my findings when I get back.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
OPUS1 said:
This is definately not hiking area. The trail was made from whoever lived there. I know this was someones home because of the small grave on a hil about 30 yards away. Looks like maybe they buried their pet ???. Turns out this is unincorporated county property. As soon as the weather clears up i'm goin.

Thanks all for your opinions and comments. I wil post my findings when I get back.

cool looking forward to the digs from it

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great looking place! 8) Hope ya find a bunch a keepers! :thumbsup:

Good luck! Nana :)

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! :tard: It's definitely worth detecting. I'd be on it like white on rice. Good Luck :thumbsup:
Ed

LOAFER

Greenie
Feb 22, 2008
HUNT IT SLOW,DIG EVERY SIGNAL AND MAYBE YOU WILL FIND AN OLD COFFEE CAN FULL OF COINS.
ANY WATER NEAR BY? BATHING WASHING CLOTHES WOULD PRODUCE MANY DROPPED ITEMS.
OUT HOUSE AREA ? GOOD LUCK

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man I take my detector if I go to the grocery store. You never know what you might run up on. Looking forward to what you find out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread